How can i fine tune my side to side leveling?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by browntown3, Mar 23, 2011.

1. NYgranny

NYgranny New Member

We have a magnetic level (about 6" long, I think) that we put on the drae bar near the propane tank once we get on the site. DH has a pretty good eye, and can tell which board(s) he needs to use to get us level. He selects and places---I just tell him when he's centered on the leveling blocks. Although probably a little more time and energy consuming than the levelers you buy, the leftover boards are free. This has worked fine for us.

2. LennyO

LennyO New Member

Could you use a hydraulic jack?

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

With respect to the Fleetwood Yuma that I camped with until this year, I used to use Lynx Blocks but then got a BAL Leveler because I was tired of spending 30 minutes driving on and off the blocks to adjust. I wanted my rig 100% perfectly level and with the BAL I got it that way almost effortlessly and in one shot. I didn't want the roof to lean or the door to be out of whack and I wanted the fridge to work well. I don't like things rolling off counters and really don't like sleeping on a slant. Now that I have the TrailManor I look forward to leveling it with the BAL too.

4. Beth

Beth Member

anyone use that iphone app?

5. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

I have a similar app for my DROID and have used it on occasion but not all the time

6. BuxCamper

BuxCamper Member

When we moved from PU to hybrid I went from BAL to Lynx. Before our first trip I was setting them up on the floor an my wife asked what if we're not level enough when you pull on to them? I said I'd have to get the trailer off of them, restack and pull on to them again. She suddenly saw the BAL advantage, park, slide it in and crank until level. She always thought I was wasting my time cranking on it but agrees the back the camper off the Lynx is even more a waste of time.

Right now if I happen across a second BAL at a good price I'm going to get it. You can slide two BALs on tandem wheels. A bit more cranking but probably worth the effort.

7. GetOutSide

GetOutSide Let's go get lost...

I'm often camping or setting up by myself, so I don't have anyone to argue with... I got a fairly large bubble level that I can see from the TV, cut some 2x6's with 45 degree angles and staggered them, then glued and screwed. That way I can just keep backing up to get the right height - so far I haven't needed any fine tuning.

8. jbthree

jbthree New Member

I have come up with an inexpensive device to make it easy to level using wood pieces. I put my 18" level side to side on the floor of the pup. I then slide a calibrated wedge under the low side of the level until the bubble is centered. I then read the thickness of wood required (marked on the wedge) required to level the pup. I pull forward 18", put the required thickness of wood behind the tire and then back up on the wood. I then check with the level and proceed to chock the wheels and unhitch. Not as fancy as a BAL but the level cost $1 and the wood wedge was a piece of scrap.

[​IMG]

9. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

[LOL] I know my limitations, I do not have a good eye for that type of thing. I'm sure with practice I would get better, but the BAL was worth every penny to me. Just in the driveway when we first brought the p'up home, I was out with DW trying to level the camper. I'd be telling her which board to try...she would inevitably put in the wrong board...I'd look in my mirror expecting to see one side go up a couple inches and it would be like 4...I'd yell out the window..."hey what board did you put under there....I said two 1x6"....."uh....I put one that looks like this"...."that's 2 of the 2x4 blocks....I said 2 of the 1x6"......."Fine....this sucks, do it yourself."

All I could envision was this playing out at the campsite...no thanks [:D]

10. browntown3

browntown3 New Member

Wow, thanks for all the replies!! After researching many of your suggestions i think i will go get some of the lynx type levelers at my local walmart..........then put the BAL leveler on my christmas list! LOL I think those should work ok for my needs. I really appreciate all the responses.........love this forum already!

11. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

See ... that's like I always say, you've got to discipline those women, tell them exactly what you want and how it should be done!
    Of course, I do live alon... eh, ... never mind!

12. rabird

rabird Howdy!

This works.

[​IMG]

13. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] Like I said.....I know my limitations. I might find myself a permanent resident of the p'up in that scenario.