How can you fix coleman roof

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Poorric, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Poorric

Poorric New Member

2. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Member

Your first and only post and you're shilling for some random business. Riiiiiiiiight...

3. Poorric

Poorric New Member

Not really, I have no interest other then it took me quite a while to find out how to repair and salvage my ailing coliman roof and I was hoping to pass on my info so it did take anyone else as long as it took me to find the info..... Just trying to save some foot work for somebody else that might be interested. If you choose to see this as an option is totally up to you.
    PS. all though this is my first post I have found a lot of posts on this forum that helped me a lot so I wanted to return the favor.
    Thank you!

4. PinnMcrack

PinnMcrack Active Member

Nice job.

5. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

At least the information provided is relevant. I'm sure it'll be of use to someone else looking into bedliner roof coatings.

I think it turned out very well and I appreciate the information. Thanks for posting, Poorric!

6. GMD

GMD Member

Thanks for the info. I am in the process of looking to re-coat mine. RV dealers are totally over priced. This is a option to look at. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. bondebond

bondebond New Member

We appreciate you sharing what you did. I apologize for the less than helpful comment.

8. trailinator

trailinator New Member

Can you expand on the prep leading up to the sprayed on bedliner? Our roof sags and a few good sized cracks have opened up that the previous owner tried to fiberglass tape, bondo and paint over. Great looking results but I could use some advice on the lead up. Thanks!

9. Poorric

Poorric New Member

Thanks all...our 99 Cheyenne had major cracking and delamination, which made removal of abs necessary and easy...remove a/c if possible and all hardware(clamp downs for roof, etc. ) making sure you save all parts...you may never find them again...I was lucky most of my abs was completely delaminated so I could just peel it off...if your abs is still adhered to foam you may be able to skip this step...ask a professional...next I had to scrape excess glue of which I did with a spackle blade carefully!!! With a palm sander or by hand carefully sand foam but not to much, just enough to give coating a good clean surface to adhere...before having roof sprayed I made a ceiling roof brace, due to unavailability of the original, from a 2x8 that I cut a arch to fit the angle of my existing roof brace and installed it on interior ceiling with stud hanger brackets and aluminum plates , so it would lift roof before spraying...as recommended by my coating man. I chose to have roof sprayed rather then applying by rolling to get a professional finish and also professional advice ...glad I did ,I couldn't asked for better... will follow up with some photos of brace and hardware as soon as I open up popup...I give credit to Scorpion Coatings because of their technical advice and knowledge of material which I had not a clue...Poorric

10. Poorric

Poorric New Member

I forgot to put the pictures before I started to work on it , it'is quite a difference, I love it :). Now me and my wife don't have to worry about getting another one anytime soon unless we decide we need bigger one. :)

Bellow is the link to with some relevant pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/5z7cwhnqeo0zwd9/AAABTYs1nNoaG-wv2HfzlLepa

PS. sorry a got a double there.

11. ripopuptwins

ripopuptwins It's All Good

How did you handle the awning channel?

12. Poorric

Poorric New Member

I removed it by cutting it from abs and putting it aside until project was completely finished and reattached it with stainless screws and a good adhesive...seems good and strong so far...the original was only glued anyway glad to see there is some interest...I'm sure I'm not the only one with those "Coleman Blues"

13. Poorric

Poorric New Member

14. trailinator

trailinator New Member

Thanks for following up. Looks great! I've been considering the same bracing but wasn't sure how to attach the "rafters". Is there wood in the roofs? Does anyone know the anatomy of the system? I get that foam is sandwiched between the inner ceiling and the outer shell but is that it? Without a wood core can those contact points hold up? So many questions, so little time...

Jimtom likes this.
  15. Dubbya

Yep, that's about all there is to it though some roofs will have wood framing around the roof vent and steel trusses in front of and behind the vent framing.

Look through some of the roof restoration threads or check out the How it's Made video on YouTube.

http://youtu.be/gUIT-scg4bs

16. Poorric

Poorric New Member

Thanks ,that was a interesting video...when installing roof brace I made a 2x4 inch aluminum plate that would support the bolts (2) for brace on exterior and also on interior...that is all Coleman's brace had...and coating sprayed on exterior after that which makes a good seal...as pictured in past post...time will tell I guess...that's our only alternative, since Fleetwood threw us under the bus when they went out of business... [RTM]

17. SteveR_CT

SteveR_CT New Member

I have a 2001 Bayside that has not been used in 7-8 years. The roof needs to be replaced as it js badly de-laminating. Apparently new replacement roofs are not available. So this thread on having it coated seems great. How much money are they looking at?

18. mocamper

mocamper Active Member

Many thanks for the information and guidance. I am going to have to undertake this in the future and may need some of your advice. Wonderful job. From the show me state.

19. mocamper

mocamper Active Member

Do you mind letting us know the price range and are there scorpion facilities closer to Missouri than Florida? Thanks

20. Dubbya

I sprayed mine with Upol Raptor bedliner and the total came to about $500 including a gallon of body filler and all prep supplies.

There's a thread claiming that the member was able to have Line-X sprayed on their already prepped roof for $300.

If you prep the roof yourself, having it sprayed for $300 is pretty cheap IMHO.