How can you fix coleman roof

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Poorric, Aug 19, 2014.

1. mocamper

mocamper Active Member

Thanks for the reply. Did you remove all the abs from the roof prior to spraying raptor?

2. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

That's the thing, mine has an aluminum skin.

Several members with Coleman ABS roofs do exactly that but the foam core is significantly more robust than the Styrofoam in your roof.

I have read several posts where the Filon or FRP is removed and replaced with new panel. The problem there is that there's always a seam or two to deal with.

Again, fiberglassing the whole roof might give you a better surface to work with and though markedly heavier, would be a lot stronger as well.

It's a dilly of a pickle to be sure. Definitely search the forums for roof replacement and roof restoration threads and you'll have a better idea of how to tackle the problem from an informed position.

3. mocamper

mocamper Active Member

It's still complicated, will research and get it done. Thanks

4. ninhalo5

ninhalo5 New Member

How did you figure out the proper angle of the arch? Thanks

5. Poorric

Poorric New Member

Hi, mine had a ceiling brace on one side already that Coleman supplied as a afterthought to support AC I would think, so I use that as a template so to speak...it actually works better then their version for some reason.. maybe just lucky ...you could guesstimate off of photo I am sure, but you just want a bit of a crown, so don't overdo it...the crown will keep rain from pooling...good luck [:D]

6. ninhalo5

ninhalo5 New Member

Thanks, I'm now thinking, maybe, laying a straight edge across the sag and measuring from the lowest point of the sag to the straight edge will give me what I need. So, if the sag is 3" at the lowest point, I'd go from 3" in the center to nothing along the edges.

7. Poorric

Poorric New Member

Hi.sounds like a plan...you should be able to check crown on front or back side of roof,as it tends to be more stable and ridged there...if so you could use a cardboard template to get peak...just a thought...thinking as long as you have a crown it will work...also if you have roof a/c I would consider adding 2...this way you have uniform contour and support though out ...remember not to overdo it!!!...Good Luck...ps would enjoy seeing finished project [CAM]

8. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

So, just to make Sure I understand, what you plan to do is add a 3 inch arc to your roof supports? That means that you will raise the roof about 6 inches to not only compensate for the 3 inches of sag but to increase the arc to 3 inches. That sounds like a lot.

According to what I've seen here, roof supports appear to increase the arc by an inch or less. Perhaps someone who's installed the roof braces can tell us.

9. hr@thepod

hr@thepod Member

When bolting the brace in, how did you support the brace? Did you lower the roof onto it? Or hold it in place? I have a saggy tin roof i'd like to add a brace to and paint.

10. Poorric

Poorric New Member

Hi again...I had a friend with me so we put in one bracket and pushed on other end to get 2nd bracket on and tightened both and walaaah it went up and fixed arch...I was planning on raising roof 1/2 way and bracing roof brace in the middle with a 2x4 and lowering it but didn't need to... to my surprise!!!...as I mentioned in post I used braces that they make for decks and stairs and with a little calk they finished up nice...drill your holes for bracket through roof and connect 1st bracket loosely then insert one end of roof brace...do either method that we talk about and when you get to the other end have your bracket at hand to slide over bolts and roof brace...I used longer bolts so I could catch both sides...when you tighten them it will push up middle of roof...cut off excess of bolt with Dremmel tool...if you have 2 people use lock nuts ...I sprayed brackets and painted brace before installing, made it much easier to just touch up...also I think ninhalo5 was talking 3 inches or I hope that was what he meant...I think 3in was my figure...6in is much to much...don't over do it!!! Ps,I made aluminum plates and drilled for bracket for exterior about 3x4 to make sure it wouldn't pull through foam on my roof...I would do that on your aluminum roof also...Good Luck,hope I didn't confuse you too much... [:O]