How Cold Do You Camp?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by AtlDave, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

-40C = -40F

it is the cross over point...

2. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Woke up to 2 inches of snow in SMNP

Been out down to around 0-F, But we normally do not camp if the day highs are not in the 50's, which means high 20's for nights.

With my canvas popup in the high 20's and the thermostat set to 68. The furnace is on 1/2 the time.

3. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

My DW hates the cold....my tolerance is about 30 at night...days in the 50's. I make no apologies, I'm an admitted "comfy camper" [:D]

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

For those camping in colder weather, there are ideas here to help maintain heat and comfort:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=104.0

We almost never go camping just to camp, but if cold weather happens and we can continue to enjoy the activities in the area, we're going to do so. Many of the places we camp can have large temperature swings, even in the summer, so we can encounter cool to cold weather on most trips. Add in covering different regions to a trip, and having clothing and supplies for a wide range of temps is pretty usual for us. [Ground camping 20+ years ago, it was 105*F at Dinosaur NM, two days later,we woke up to ice in the water jug near the Tetons.]
    On the very cold (lows in the teens F) US Thanksgiving trip in our first pup, we ended up coming home a day early, since we'd done everything we could in the area (Carlsbad Caverns were just fine in cold weather).
    Five years ago, with our second pup, we woke up in 6" of snow at Grand Canon, again with lows in the teens. My husband had a backpacking permit, and we knew he'd be OK once he got below the Rim. I'd looked at the weather forecast, changed our camping reservation from dry camping in Mather to having power in Trailer Village, and packed my winter clothing plus a space heater.

5. Merlin14

Merlin14 Active Member

Camped to 30's with parents tenting. Want try to near freezing with pup this winter.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6. dentito

dentito New Member

It's funny hearing that 32 degrees is cold. Living in Canada and measuring temperature in Celsius 32 degrees is sweltering! But keeping to the topic I am also curious about cold weather camping as I'm hoping to set off on a trip on Remembrance Day weekend or Veterans Day weekend for all you Americans. I think we should be okay as it might only get down to 10 degrees C. Should I invest in the Gizmos?

7. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

Good clothes, no cotton, good bag, down if you can

8. unclemark

unclemark Overland Park, KS

We have camped in the popup every month except December and January. In November, February, and March we use 12V electric blankets and down sleeping bags. DW likes to use an electric heater, but I don't like noise at night, and I don't like shore power, so we argue about that before we pick our sites. Our catalytic propane heater hasn't got much use, and we don't have a furnace. I would guess we haven't camped below about +25F. As a teen, I camped in spring snow storms in Colorado, but that's a cold and muddy mess not worth repeating. Also, I don't want to pull the trailer on snowy or icy roads, so I don't think I'll intentionally take the popup out in inclement winter weather

9. drosengrant

drosengrant One Day at a Time

Another good reason to camp in the colder weather is there are no bugs. And less people. [:D]

10. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Well here last night, down to 48F...66F inside, may be time to close windows and turn on some heat, or go camping.... [LOL]

11. rocksncactus

rocksncactus Member

We haven't camped in cold weather in our pup yet, but we did several times back when we tent camped. The last time was in South Florida in January of 2007, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day/weekend. We'd gone to the Peace River near Zolfo Springs for one of our regular fossil hunting trips, but this time we took our newly adopted pup. Poor little guy had no idea what he was in for! We had a crate in the tent for him, but it was below freezing the first night and he was shivering from the cold. I ended up putting him in my sleeping bag with me. As soon as he felt himself start to warm up he let out a big sigh and just relaxed and snuggled up closer to me. Huge twang of the ole heartstrings!

It got warmer during the day, and we had no problems standing in the river and shoveling gravel, but it was close to freezing again that night. Never underestimate the power of a great quality sleeping bag! Here's a couple of pictures of me with Jasper when we got up that first morning. I had to put one of my t-shirts on him for a while until it got a little warmer. I was wearing everything I had, but it was nylon pants and a rain jacket with a couple of shirts underneath. Not exactly cold weather clothing! We knew it was going to be cold at night, but it dropped more than anyone expected.

This is not cold compared to some of y'all's posts here, but it pretty cold for South Florida.

Attached Files:

12. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

Have camped many times with overnight temps down to 20-25 deg F, approx 4-6 C. We do run the furnace or space heaters when it's that cold. We've also camped in the van, when towing a motorcycle trailer, with temps down in high 40's overnight & we were quite comfy without running a heater. The key really is good bedding. My sleeping bag is soooo comfy. If it is really cold we also toss on a blanket or down comforter.

Here's the thing. We're Georgians & don't do cold so well. We tend to bundle up for anything much under 50 F. So if the daytime temps won't be getting over 40 F we probably won't choose to camp. However, if those temps are a surprise we just grin & bear it. We're not going to bail & go home. We camped in Big Bend NP when it was in the low 20's with the most impressive display of hoar frost I've ever seen, totally gorgeous. We camped in Yellowstone in the snow with lots of wind... etc, etc. If there's beauty to be seen or fun to be had we just keep going. [:D]

13. Tyreguy

Tyreguy Member

Just this spring the DW and I camped out for her annual 'birthday campout' in May. It was miserable. Daytime highs were in the upper 40's...which compared to most temps in this thread is warm. But the wind was brutal, cold, and relentless. At night it got to low 30's (again, not particularly cold) but the wind...oh that miserable wind. We came prepared with our small electric camping heater and used the pup furnace on standby just in case the other couldn't keep up (it couldn't). With the wind blowing through the canvas, even with Reflectix in all the bunk end windows, there still seemed to be a slight draft in the pup. But we bundled up, kept the fire stoked, and camped on. Sunday brought sunshine and less wind to our delight. I would gladly continue to camp in the colder weather as the DW doesn't like the heat of the summer, but memories of that last trip linger.

14. wl7cpa

wl7cpa New Member

ahhhhhh....dress warmly?
    maybe....take a heater?
    just a thought.....buy a sub-zero sleeping bag?
    there's always " b u i l d a f i r e.
    then maybe....stay in a motel, just in case.

15. AtlDave

AtlDave New Member

I think I'm good into the 30's.

You folks camping below zero are CRAZY [:D]...... um, I mean you're much more dedicated than we are.

[PU] [PUT]

16. mantis32

mantis32 Member

Do pop-up gizmos really work in cold AND hot? Looks like a gimmick.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

17. mantis32

mantis32 Member

What's the take away from that for one to camp in cold winter with snow etc, without freezing items and staying warm inside...with and without hookup?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

18. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

Back in the late 80"s early 90's the wife and kids I would camp in Jan and Feb In Michigan in the Pup avg temp single digits at night and 20's in the day. We'd fire the Polonis during the day and set the furnace at 55. crank the furnace up at night. We stayed warm, We camped with a group so we had a goodly sized fire going most of the time and ample amounts of stew and chilli and schnapps and other libation, the draw back was we had to tote in water and use the vault john which was tad chilli (gals weren't to happy bout that) We'd snowmoblie, ice fish, klunk around in the woods. play cards. Kids seemed to enjoy it. Coupla weekends a year was fine. Now i'm in my 60's maybe not so much anymore.

19. davido

davido Active Member

I've camped into temperatures where the nightly lows drop into the upper 20's, like 28, 29.... around there.

Below that point I start worrying about the freshwater system freezing over, and I just don't like the worry. If I were camping with people who don't mind not having running water and use of the Thetford cassette toilet, I'd be fine with camping down into the low 20's. But my family likes their running water (even if it comes from a tank that I'm constantly refilling), so we stop camping when I winterize the trailer each year.

20. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Coldest was -24F, 1976, Copper Harbor, UP-er Michigan, pup tent, 3+ feet of snow. Cold all night, got up to frost on the ceiling of the tent.