How cold is too cold?

joet

Super Active Member
Mar 16, 2011
Elkins WV area
bring on th cold...you can always put on enough clothing to stay warm,....but never take enough off to keep cool. Been exposed to the brutal artic winters. 0 temps are good for camping

wolfelot

Feb 1, 2021
I know this is a super old thread, but I have looked at a number of cold weather camping threads on the cracking of the plastic windows/vinyl and have not come across a single reference to a confirmation of it actually happening.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I know this is a super old thread, but I have looked at a number of cold weather camping threads on the cracking of the plastic windows/vinyl and have not come across a single reference to a confirmation of it actually happening.
When we bought new canvas for our first popup, I think the low temp limit recommended was -10*F, so very few people will be camping in or working on their popups at that temp. My suspicion is that any actual cracking would be likely on vinyl that is aged and not in the best condiiton. I don't remember seeing reports of shattering windows or such in 10+ years here on the Portal, but I"m depending on memory.
Vinyl of any sort does age, and UV exposure and the like add up. For example, all the bag awnings that have the bag, attachment spline, zipper, and/or stitching go, wbile the rest of the camper is in great shape. With our TT, we have a roll-up awning, and we just repaired a thin place, in a seciton that is exposed to our high UV climate, it's about 7 years old. (I ruined the first awning on the first long trip, in '15, when I tapped a huge cottonwood tree branch pulling into a campsite.)

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
I like old threads too, so I'll just add my two cents. A couple of years ago my son and I got caught in some rather nasty weather up in the high Sierras. The temperature one morning was 28 Degree (F). So it must have gotten even colder during the night. There was no snow when we set up camp, but later that afternoon we got about 3 inches at the camp site. I had no problems with any of the appliances in the Viking. I have a video on YouTube showing the snow coming down. The only real problem I had was with the awning. Once deployed, I had to continually remove snow from on top.

Mark60

Aug 23, 2020
TN
I always go to a campground that has Shore Power. Leave a portable electric heater on with the furnace set to low. Works out great. I always enjoy setting around a campfire in the colder weather. Most campgrounds close the 2nd weekend in November here. I have one late trip in October and one in November planned. The thanksgiving camping has me thinking about trying it.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
When I had the pop up its first trip was up to lake george in june. It got cold the first night around 44 and I never tested or started the heater before. Woke up freezing and got the emergency cold weather bags from under the dinette seat. Next trip I made sure the heater worked and I got a small ceramic heater. The heater makes it warm in cold weather in the pup. In the TT the same small ceramic heater will make it warm in freezing weather. I tested it last november. , the guy next to me had frozen water hoses. ( I check the weather now and disconnected mine) and all night was toasty warm. I still take the sleeping bags, you never know when power will go out.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I had an old 1990 that was a bi*** to fold if it got below freezing outside so around 32. That’s even with a small heater going inside until the very end. The vinyl windows were not as flexible when cold although didn’t have any cracking they sure were not cooperative. it felt like I was trying to fold glass. Even the canvas was super stiff and not as cooperative either. My current camper responds much better to colder weather when folding although it was just at 30 and had a furnace and electric heater going until the last minute. The vinyl wasn’t as flexible but it was way easier than my old camper. So I’m with the poster that mentioned age of the camper plays a bigger role as well as the type of tenting material you have. I very very rarely camp when temps reach 20’s unless just overnight and low 30’s in the morning. even With the furnace going and reflectix in the windows and PUGS on top things can get cold inside especially if it’s windy And I’m a wimp if it’s too cold.