How cold should it be?

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by cesperon, Jul 15, 2011.

1. cesperon

cesperon New Member

96 flagstaff with a norcold fridge. I actually have the owner's manual for this- but it really isn't helpful. It just says that the fridge is automatically set for optimium operation and there is no need (read- no way) to adjust the temp.

But it doesn't seem that cold. I am picking up a thermomter this afternoon to check it, what temp should I be hoping for?

Do they need freon?

2. turtle

turtle New Member

The best way to messure temp in any fridge is use a glass of water or soda and leave it in for 24 hrs then check the water or soda temp with a pocket type thermometer. Fridge air temp is not always as accurate as the temp of the items inside which are being cooled.

3. cesperon

cesperon New Member

NICE!!! I have a thermometer I can use for that-- not only did I learn something new, but now I don't have to pick up an ambient temp thermometer!

4. dgeddes

dgeddes Member

Expect 30-40 degrees below ambient temperature unless you do a fridge fan mod. There is a thread that is stickied in this forum on how a 3-way fridge works, I would highly recommend it.

There are also several threads here on how to do a fridge fan mod, I would highly recommend that as well.

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I bought a little fridge therometer off Amazon for under $5. It has the temps highlighted in green, yellow, and red. I only have to glance at it to be sure it's in the green. I don't have a fan (as far as I know) and it's always stayed in the green even when it's near 100 degrees outside.

6. iceman

iceman New Member

34-40 degrees is what we usein the field. Anything over 41 wont pass health department.

7. Kunk35

Kunk35 Member

On our most recent trip in 100 degree temps, as long as I keep the AC running and 4 or 5 frozen water bottles in it, my fridge ranges from 36 to 45 in the hot part of the day, to 25 to 35 overnight, again with the AC pulling the inside of the camper down to about 65. (okay, so I like my AC)

We bought a small compressor type fridge for things that spoil like mayo and milk and meats. The only thing we keep in the three-way is drinks. I think the stories will vary wildly, but it has been my experience that these tiny three way fridges are not exactly reliable. More of a cooling convenience than what you are used to in a normal household fridge.

I should mention that I also have done the fan mod and I'm very sure it makes a big difference.

When leaving for a trip, I will plug the fridge in for a couple of days before leaving, put 2 frozen water bottles on each shelf, then keep it cold in route using the 12volt. Always pre-cool the items before you put them in the fridge. These things really aren't designed to cool warm stuff down.

Hope this helps.

Kory

8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

This explain why my fridge works so good on those 100 degree days. I always have the AC cranking. I was thinking the 30-40 degrees below temp was way off ... oops.

9. moneeleann

moneeleann New Member

I'd just like to know how you keep it 65 inside your pup with it being 100 degrees outside...

10. Kunk35

Kunk35 Member

That's only at night moneelaeann when the temps drop down into the 80's. Some of the other family members get a little grumpy at me for liking it so cold, but I just tell them that is what blankets are for. I love the cold and I love the sound of the AC running. It tends to drown out all the noise from campers pulling in at all times of the night too!

11. Mongo71

Mongo71 Longwood FL

Iceman is absolutely correct. Anything over forty degrees is unsafe. Bacteria starts multiplying at 41 deg. Check USDA website or local health dept. for verification of this.

12. turborich

turborich Active Member

I would put a couple of fans on the back side of the fridge on the condensing coil fins and place a small battery operated fan in the fridge itself. This will help greatly.

I can get my fridge to pull down in the in the 110 degree heat now since doing these two things. I also enlarged the orifice and this helped out tremendously.

13. joet

joet Well-Known Member

With the addition of fans I have no need to do anyting else. IMO I would be leery of increasing orifice size, as how much heat would be too much

14. turborich

turborich Active Member

In my case I had to make it bigger to get the correct size flame. It wasn't getting hot enough. I agree though, if the flame is putting out the correct BTU's then I wouldn't mess with it.

15. papachaz

papachaz New Member

iceman is totally right. having been a restaurant manager and taking the food safety certification every three years, i learned the food safety zone is 41 to 140. bacteria doubles every 20 minutes, especially if it stays around body temp. it really made me watch what i eat at church dinners and family reunions! to safely store food you want your home fridge and your pup fridge to be below 40 degrees