How do I assess damage and fix snapped cable?

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Emily Ortega, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Emily Ortega

Emily Ortega New Member

first timer here. I have a 1999 jay o heritage camper. One of the latches was still loosely attached while i started cranking the camper up. I heard a snap, then quickly lowered it. Tried to raise it again, but the one corner stayed down. Holding the flat corner up with a 2x4 now, but not sure where to start assessing damage or how to fix it. Thank you in advance

2. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Jaycos of that era have all the lift system inside the cabin, behind panels and cabinets. You'll want to remove trim panels, etc in the corner where the damaged happened. If you're luck you just bent an eye bolt and can replace it.

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

First off .......... Inside the camper on the inner wall where the winch door is should be a small step in the middle of the wall. You will need a square drive screwdriver for the screws ......... most of the cable connections are right there ....... first place to check, You may have just opened a screw eye up. It is designed to do that if you screw up.

4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I sent you a PM with links to repair guides for the typical Jayco lift system. I think most of the Heritage line used a winch located on the right rear (curb side). Inside the cabin there should be a small cabinet on that corner. You will need to take it apart in order to access the winch. The rest of the cables and slugs travel in trays along the sides of the camper, all hidden behind cabinets and panels. They can only be accessed from the inside.