How do I fix hail damage

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Expendable Nate, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Expendable Nate

Expendable Nate New Member

Alrighty so I bought my up with the damage it's all cosmetic there's no leaking. I just want to cover it all up and make it look newish [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. springbreakdave

springbreakdave New Member

bondo

3. timothy47129

timothy47129 New Member

Wow that was in one heck of a hail storm.If it were mine I would scuff it up real good with sandpaper paying close attention to scuffing up inside of all the dents really well.Then I would buy some body filler.(i prefer evercoat avalible at orilley auto parts it sands and applies so much smoother than bondo brand and is cheaper too)Then apply it to all the dents and sand it half way smooth with an electric sander.Then do a roll on white bedliner product.applying it to leave a slight texture to the surface.I would have no problem doing this to my own and I think this would be a pretty quick solution that would look great in the end.

4. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

How do I fix hail damage

You have a few options but first off, don't use regular "Bondo" or body filler. You'll need Gold body filler designed for aluminum. Float the roof with it to fill any small cuts, pinholes, dents and dings. Use fiberglass to fill large holes then skim coat with gold body filler.

When everything is sanded smooth, prime with self etching primer, designed for aluminum, then roll on bedliner, EPDM roof coating or Cool Seal to finish.

I had a roof as bad as yours but here's what it looks like after spraying it with Upol Raptor bedliner:

[​IMG]

My roof resto thread is here:

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=72664