How do I hook up a television in my pup

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by mikeycats, Nov 24, 2010.

1. mikeycats

mikeycats New Member

I will be getting a 2011 rockwood 276hw and my dw wants a tv for it. How do I hook it up, what do you reccomend for a mounting bracket and how do you think I should use a satellite dish ?

2. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

I would use the satellite dish but only problem you have make sure you can pick up the signal from the satellite in space and you can use a flat screen tv in the camper but when you to store it for winter you have to take it out or it well freeze

3. lawniz

lawniz New Member

A TV AND SATELLITE DISH FOR CAMPING?!? [LOL]

Dback2k4 and Fbird like this.
  4. d ackley

d ackley New Member

ya i have 21 inch flat panel mounted on a 4 way swing arm for tvs from home depot ($100.00) 1 bought a 6 foot piece of pvc a cut the top off at 12 inches, i screwed a cast iron flange to the floor , im using 3 inch pvc, the long piece (5 feet) has a threaded pvc fitting glued to the bottom of the pipe, it screws in to the floor flange. on top it has coupler glued on. the 1 foot piece is u-clamped to the back of the bracket, after the bottom pole is srewed into the floor, the top braket is pushed down on to the pole, then the tv is set on the bracket, one part of the braket is bolted to the tv and stays on it. it works so great, it swivels in all directions, i put mine were my dining room table would be in the slide out , we dont use it any way. it takes all of 1 minute to set up, i made 3 storage bags for the 3 pieces, pole,bracket,tv. the problem with the satellite hookup is it is line of site, (no trees in the way at all) and rain messes it up. i need to patent my mount

5. jjsul

jjsul New Member

I think this question is going to bring back the yea/nay voices again. After selling the TT a couple of years ago followed by a year of tenting we discovered the joy of going without. Just our thing.

Jerry

6. mikeycats

mikeycats New Member

Thanks for the replies, really the television is more for the weather channel or for rainy days, my wife and I love to hike and are usually off and going early.
    We bought the television today from costco, a 22" vizio led that has a wifi connection which will allow us to access the internet, check e-mail, stream movies from netflix, ect.
    [8D]

7. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

We just purchased a new 19" LED flat panel with USB port. We download digital movies to flash drive and bring them with us should the weather turn bad. Also have songs from iPod that we can play through television. Purchased over the air omni directional antenna with amplifier and use this for getting stations. Had been bringing satellite dish and receiver but pain to point dish. The ota antenna is self searching. Have PVC pole I modified to hold the antenna and have way to secure to pup. I have pre wired the pup with coax cable and outlets so just connect antenna to outside outlet and have outlet where we place the television. We mainly use the television at night laying down for bed.

8. Richard

Richard Take kids camping. It's great for you and them.

Can you elaborate on how you attach the pvc pole to the camper?

9. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

What I have done is I have a 1x6 board on which I have screwed an end cap to that the pvc pipe end fits into. This board I place under one of the stabalizers to hold in place. On the top I have two large spring clamps which I place just far enough apart that the pvc pole will fit between. The pvc pole fits into the end cap on the baord and just eye that the pole is straight and between the clamps. I then use a small bundgie cord and wrap around the clamps and the pole. This hols the pole in place up against the pup. Sorry...I thought I had pics of the top but cannot find any. I will take a look again and if I can find I will post

10. dackley

dackley 1999 Jayco Heritage Laurel with popout

my blog above says it all, my flat panel pole screws into a 3 inch steel pipe flange which is screwed to floor, flange is permanent, i have a 4 ft tall 3 inch pvc pole with the male threaded flange on bottom,which is glued to the pvc, on the top there is a coupler glued to the pole at the top, the tv mount is 4 way swing arm from home depot, the older style, not the flat mount $42.00. i bolted the mount to a 1 ft piece of the 3 inch pvc using two 3 inch u-clamps, and were done. when i get to the camp ground, i screw the longer pole into the flange on the floor; then top piece is set down into coupler , then tv is set on bracket, i painted pole black, and sewed upthree bags for the 2 piece pole and one for the tv, tv is kept safe in tow vehicle. it take about 1 minute for setup and looks great, mine is mounted on floor in center of slide out because we dont use the kitchen table in side, then at times i atach a wire to the top of the pole to keep it from swaying.

11. Richard

Richard Take kids camping. It's great for you and them.

Thanks for the great and clear description of the antenna mount Mike.

12. Whiteycracker

Whiteycracker Active Member

Do you have any pictures???? Sound interesting to say the least..

13. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

They have not been on the site since 2012. Doubt you will get a response. There are others who have done mounts though so maybe one will come in.

However a quick search found this thread and picture they posted.

http://www.popupportal.com/threads/tv-mount.43228/

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  14. Whiteycracker

Whiteycracker Active Member

Thanks. I am just trying to see what would work best for my situation and PUP. The more ideas the better right? lol but if they aren't coming back to show off their work, I guess I'll never see my options then.

15. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I get bamboozled all the time by not reading the date of the sender's post hehe...

Here is a couple of shots of my antenna post for my BATWING antenna on my off-road popup trailer...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

I got all the parts from LOWES... The larger diameter PVC allows me to turn the inside smaller PVC pipe but have the outer PVC bolted down on the roof side section... I can just reach through my window flap and rotate the antenna...

Since the BATWING antenna has to have a 12VDC signal to power up the RF Amplifier in the BATWING antenna I had to get one of these WINEGARD TV WALL Plates. This has a two port splitter in it and also allows you to wire in +12VDC to go up the coax to power up the RF Amplifier in the antenna... They also sell a bunch of inline power adapter but they all run off of 120VAC. I wanted mine to run purely off of 12VDC so I got the WALL PLATE instead. I ordered this from AMAZON. Since the wall plate has two TV connections i run one TV inside and then can run a second small TV outside on the patio...

[​IMG]
    Google image

Been doing since 2010 on my off-road popup and works just great. I got the best results using one of the large yagi arrays from LOWES but after taking it down about ten times it finally self destructed. One of my photos above shows the Lowes yagi-antenna beam haha... It also hit a few limbs too when rotating around... Stuck out three or four feet on each side of the popup trailer...

I also tried the JACK antenna but it required me to be exact on to the local town town transmitter location where the BATWING gave me the same reception but had a wider beam width.

My PVC antenna mount comes down with a couple of twist wing nuts and folds up into two sections for easy storage in the space between the two pushed-in tent bed ends for travel...

One my best reason for having HDTV is that most of the HDTV channels you get will have a 24/7 live radar channel... This has saved me several time keeping close tabs on approaching high winds storms when camping out in the woods somewhere...

We like to end our camping day after having supper by watching some HDTV. Best way to get settled down for bed after a long camping day for us... I have been tent camping since the early 60s and have no problem having a TV set with me when camping in the woods. You still get to hear "You are going to watch TV when you are camping ?" sure-its what I do hehe... When I have it outside on the patio I will look around and sometimes see my animal friends watching HDTV with me...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All Google images

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018