How do I remove the ice box?

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by Notacop, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Notacop

Notacop New Member

I have a 1995 Coleman Stony Creek, it has the basic ice box. I don't foresee us ever using it. Since that cabinet is taller than the other locations I think it would be the most logical place to slide a port a potty. To do that I need the full space. I did not see any fasteners holding the ice box in and wiggling/pulling didn't get me anywhere. Is it glued in or is there something I missed?

All the other cabinets have a maximum height of 12 inches at the opening, and that is a bit too small for any toilet I have found. Is there a reason why a toilet behind a curtain is a bad idea? Is there a reason I shouldn't remove the ice box?

Thanks!

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

It's your camper so obviously you can do whatever you want with it. :) There already is a porta potti storage cabinet beside the entry door which will accommodate a taller potti if you enlarge the opening or remove the side panel entirely, like this ...

[​IMG]

In many if not most popups the galley blocks access to the fridge / icebox when in the travel position so if you remove yours and instead use that space for a potti you'd obviously want to empty / clean the potti before leaving your campsite for home unless you plan the put the camper back up once you're home.

3. Notacop

Notacop New Member

That makes sense. I'll have to measure and see what can fit. I didn't consider enlarging the opening or cutting a new one.

That door is only 12 inches tall in my unit and that is not quite tall enough. I don't have any qualms about modifying it. If there is enough interior height that will likely be my solution.

Thanks.

4. eriefisher

eriefisher Member

Mine is similar to what GreyFox shows except my door is where he opened it up. The cabinet is just inside the door to the right and is large enough for the potti with room to spare. I plan on modifying it so that the door and top lift and fold for use. When not in use it will dissappear.

5. Notacop

Notacop New Member

This is what that area looks like on my model

[​IMG]

(Not my camper, just a picture I found online)

It doesn't really lend itself to a hinge top setup, due to the shape of the table. But if I made the opening behind the door a bit taller it might fit one of the smaller 2.6 gallon toilets.

6. eriefisher

eriefisher Member

If it will fit comfortably where the ice box is go for it. As long as you remember to clean it out before you pack up. If your like me, when you get home from a trip the last thing you want to do is open everything back up unless you absolutely have to. It could be a few days before I get the time to open it up and clean out everything. A porta-potti will not be a nice thing to deal with at that point.

7. Jason Proietti

Jason Proietti New Member

There’s 3 screws with large washers outside the trailer under the ice box that will remove it. Lay on the ground under the camper to get to them. Unscrew and it slides right out.

8. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

When we were shopping for a used PU one of the big no no's for us was the PO removing OEM installed equipment for some reason or another. Worse was they tossed it all in the trash!! Like the folks who removed the gas grill, heater and propane tank….. because they never used!!!