How do u get these old decals off your pup!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by camperkevin, Apr 3, 2013.

1. camperkevin

camperkevin rather be camping

camperkevin here tried adhesive remover dont work, used heat gun works ok but wont take off adhesive, need a better idea does anyone out there know!!

2. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

Use goof off to remove the adhesive residue.

3. DragNfly

DragNfly New Member

Goof off is great but do a test area first.

4. martycheryl

martycheryl New Member

The easiest way is an "eraser wheel" it attaches to a drill and will remove the entire decal and adhesive fairly easy. I just refurbished a 1995 Palomino Colt and removed all of the old decals in about 15 minutes with this handy tool. They are available at NAPA, Carquest, and at automotive paint supply stores. I'm sure you could find them online easily also. I used the 3M brand on mine, but I use an aftermarket one at my work and it works just as well.

Go to this link to see what the aftermarket one looks like:http://www.imperialsupplies.com/item/0729290

Good Luck!

5. Clive

Clive New Member

Second the eraser wheel, so easy to use and does not damage the paint or body work.

6. FLMonty

FLMonty New Member

Hey there. How about Wd40 and for the residue a Mr Clean sponge. You'll find all kinds of thugs to clean up wi those sponges once you start

7. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

We used a heat gun very carefully. It was so easy and you could literally pull whole sections off at a time but be very careful not to damage the paint.

8. Darn

Darn Pup to Hybrid

I manage a detail shop and we use the eraser wheel as a last resort, you can burn the paint if your not very careful. We prefer to use heat gun & a plastic razor blade, the a little lacquer hinder on a rag to get rid of he residue.

9. nexus

nexus New Member

I`ve just gone through this **** myself.........

Eraser wheel is useless if you have kind of texture, which I did. My PUP has like an orange peel texture to it.
    Goof off or goo gone is great for the residue leftover, but not the stripes.
    Heatgun works to a point, but is a pain in the ass.

Mine were 23 yr old stuck on good. They were brittle and not coming off!!!!!! So I thought.

The trick i learned was this.......

spray the stripes with lemon and vinegar. Let it sit for an hour or two. Come back with a hair dryer and slowly heat up the end of a stripe. Slowly lift an edge by picking at it. Once you have an edge lifted, put the hair dryer close and aim it under the edge you have lifted. Slowly begin to peel away and as long as you hold and aim the hairdryer at the back side of the stripe that you have begin to peel, the stripe will peel off in bog sections. Expect some stubborn areas tho!!

10. blimey

blimey New Member

11. RRack

RRack New Member

Curious if anyone has tried any chemicals such as Kutzit remover or similar. I've read a little on other forums. The decals on our 1999 Flagstaff are baked on and really cracked and chipping off. There was no way to pull anything large off without it simply flaking away and breaking. I thought I'd just quickly (and easily) break out the power washer for a quick job. Boy was I wrong. The power washer got most of it off but now I have tiny bits that still lightly shadow where the decals were... all stuck in the bumpy orange peel texture. Looks a hundred times worse! From there, I used an eraser wheel...nearly burned one up on a one foot area. Works great on the smooth hatches though. Still can't get all the bits out. Tried WD40, thinner, paint stripper all with no luck. The only thing that sorta works is to heat it carefully with a heat gun then use a stiff nylon brush or pick each bit out with a nail. Very tedious plus I burned my toes and arm...don't ask. Not to mention it's been 105 degrees down here in Texas so it ain't very fun out there even in the shade. Anyway, is there something that will help loosen or dislodge these bits? I think a wire wheel will tear it up. It's now turned into a two day ordeal.

12. aquinoboi

aquinoboi New Member

I had read either in another thread or another forum that babyoil and a hairdryer might work. Not too sure. I'm trying to read up on taking the decals off as well. I don't care about ruining the paint as the whole thing will be repainted. Whoever owned mine before me decided it'd be a great idea to paint the whole thing sky blue, and paint over the decals as well.

13. RRack

RRack New Member

I'll try the baby oil and the vinegar & lemon. I'll more than likely spray the thing white since after removing what I have so far shows that the panels have faded and yellowed a bit. I just don't want to paint over bits of sticker. Gonna try and mess with it a little this afternoon. However, it's expected to be a muggy 103 again...

14. BushwickBill

BushwickBill Member

eraser wheels work good be careful though as said they can burn the paint they sometimes also will yellow the paint a little sometime especially on white. adhesive remover should take off left over glue after you peel stickers with heat gun you may have to soak the adhesive and use plastic razor blade or finger nail is what I use be careful any solvent like adhesive remover will soften paint. I would stay away from lacquer thinner it is a very strong solvent and will most likely eat into paint. this is something I have to do almost every day as a automotive painter

15. Tribble

Tribble New Member

Great info, i'll have to give it a try on the sides of my Coleman.

16. woodsman1st

woodsman1st An outdoorsman of 78 years no exp w/ pop up trlrs

I had a bunch of old bumper stickers I didn't like. I used a hair drier on them; it softened the stickem that held the bumper stickers on and the old bumper stickers came right off. Then used a SOS pad very gently to remove the glue that was left on; and it came right off. Now his political views are no longer on my pickup truck and my friends don't laugh at me anymore.
    The Hair Dryer worked slick as anything I have ever tried before.
    Ken

17. JasinNorton

JasinNorton Member

I took mine off with an eraser wheel. 1 will last awhile. then take the remaining off with a sticker remover.

18. WendyLouWho

WendyLouWho Wendy & Marlin

Okay, please forgive the stupid question from a newbie restorer...can you just prime and paint over them or does that not work.

From perusing these boards I now want to repaint our Jayco. I really need to stop reading because I keep adding to my "to do" list and some things are just not needed (as my dh loves to remind me).

19. xshield

xshield New Member

I used a pressure washer to clean my PUP one time and got to close to a decal and it ripped it off in seconds. I guess if you have old worn out ratty sticker/decals like on mine a pressure washer will make quick work of it. Just a thought.

20. camperkevin

camperkevin rather be camping

hey camperkevin here thanking all of your responses, they were great, but I found a heat gun and label remover to take the glue off worked the best. so thank you and happy thanksgiving and a merry Christmas to all.