???HOW DO WE HAUL OUR BIKES?? MINIVAN

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by wifun, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Dammitjim

Dammitjim New Member

My 2 cents... we have a Honda Odyssey and I ended up buying the roof rack bars that go across and then Yakima Bike Racks (3 of them). The other 2 kids bikes go in the trunk of the minivan and the bike trailer goes inside the camper. The only thing I don't like about this setup is the wind resistance on the bikes (even though the HTT probably adds a lot more).

2. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

Got the rack off Craigslist. Modified it and it works great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gardener likes this.
  3. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen

I've posted this pic before, but this solution worked great with our minivan. We can put six bikes on the rack. lucky craigslist find.

[​IMG]

4. Indy

Indy Member

I'm loving what MD Saga has going on!

In our last pup (93 Coleman Arcadia), the prior owner had added a special bumper and bike rack. It was sturdy and we used a half-dozen bungies to keep everything secure, but in the end even the rack built for this purpose caused multiple problems. We did experience sway at times - very scary. In addition, it extended the length of the camper, which made it difficult to back into our driveway due to the incline. The bumper would always scrape the driveway. The worst problem was that the handlebars once turned in transit and rubbed a good sized dent in the back of the pup's roof. It didn't leak or anything and we patched it up, but it never looked the same. :( And, we almost cranked up the roof before we remembered to take the bikes off one time - that would've been disastrous and really done some damage.

I'd never recommend a bumper mounted bike rack.

5. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Problem solved?[​IMG]

6. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Do you actulay use the propane tanks? If you don't take them off and you have a great spot to strap at least 2 bikes.

7. candleems

candleems Member

MD Bullfrog and Beerlifter have great ideas. I even have the bars and feet for the Thule set up for on top of your PUP. My roof is not stable enough to take either set up due to water damage from a PO.

We used a back hatch bike rack that worked great until DD got a bigger bike, they are inexpensive. Her's was always inside the van till we got her an adult bike last year. Now up on the van roof they go.

If using a hatch rack, make sure that bottom support is on the door, not the glass. The top support will be on the glass, but it doesn't end up with all the weight. Never had problem with it. Never lost a bike or cracked the window. DO disable the back windshield wiper or you will burn up the motor and not realize it (yup, did that). We used pool noodles to keep the bikes from rubbing and bungie cords to keep them secure. You could have even lifted the hatch and they wouldn't have moved. I did not. Didn't want to damage the glass.

DO make sure that the rack is high enough to clear the jack when turning and hopefully when trying to disconnect from the PUP.

8. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

9. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

10. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

We had the same type of rack, Misc99, before we got the pup. Once we got the pup, we sold it.
    I wasn't sure if there would be a clearance issue or not when turning, but the main thing is I really wanted to be able to see the pup out the back window when towing.

11. candleems

candleems Member

It should. I would make sure all those pieces are glued and stuck together so they don't wiggle apart and you lose a bike or create one or several holes in your roof. Again, you need to know your roof is good. Mine is not. I know it has some rot so I keep clear of it.

12. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

You will be able to see the PUP with the bikes behind you. They do not totally block your view. Growing up I pulled gooseneck horse trailers (5th wheel type) My father taught me not to use the rear view mirror, because it won't help guide me. He said to use the side ones. I have to say the minivan mirrors are NOT meant to help one pull a mini van. We almost bought add on side mirrors for our van. Instead we replaced my husband's car (which was 15 years old and starting to cost monthly) with a truck. The height of the truck and the size of the mirrors are waaay better for seeing behind us.

We did have enough clearance, I'm not sure how long your hitch is or if you have stuff in front of the propane tanks/battery.

I'm not trying to convince you. I just want you to know what worked for us and why it did. Now we put all 4 in the bed of the truck wedged in with the coolers and fire wood.

13. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

LOL!

14. Popup Paul

Popup Paul Member

Www.sixnall.com

Excellent, well built bike rack. Sits on roof of pup. Very secure a bit pricey but worth it.

15. flipp3267

flipp3267 New Member

16. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

17. burnt03

burnt03 New Member

I remember seeing a post where there was a rack bolted directly to the rear bumper of the TV, pretty sure it was bolted through the hole where the hitch ball used to go (they had installed a receiver hitch). Does anyone have any pics/link to that?

18. Sonshine

Sonshine Member

Backyarddad....that link to the trail riders doesnt work...would be interested in what it is.

19. altozwei

altozwei New Member

Another option worth consideration is to get folding bikes for the adults. The folding feature makes them greatly convenient to transport. We bought one for our daughter to take to college this year because she had no where she could park a regular bike without it being in the weather. The folder stows in the trunk of her car until she wants to ride it. Folding bikes can make really good camping bikes. We got my daughter's used and save a lot of money but hers is a 24 speed. For most casual riding 3, 7 or 8 speed bikes will suffice. Some folders are small, but there are some that are full size mountain bikes and come with a full gear range too.