???HOW DO WE HAUL OUR BIKES?? MINIVAN

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by wifun, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Up the Mountain

Up the Mountain Member

They have this if you do not need a rise in your towball and it still keeps the hitch rating instead of the "extenders" that have a double hitch (and most of those are not rated for a trailer)
    http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Curt/D210.html

2. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Just get a cheap folding rack and put it on the back.
    I don't feel like arguing with the "don't put it against the glass crowd."
    The bikes I used to carry this way had a combined value far greater than my cars...
    [​IMG]

3. elainet

elainet New Member

I like the idea of the double hitch, but the one on etrailers has a drop and towing with a mini van ..... thinking it would be too low. We only need to haul 2 bikes. I have seen the extended bar and wondering if that would be an option, I wouldn't think with only 2 bikes we won't need much???

4. Maggie Muffin

Maggie Muffin Member

We had the same dilemma - how to haul our bikes, along with the PUP, the kayak, etc. etc.
    Did not want to put a rack on the PUP - when we camp, we want the option to take our bikes to a different spot to ride. Our best choice seemed to be the Swagman: http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Swagman/S64351.html

Tried it out this weekend for the first time - worked perfectly. Kinda hard to see in this photo but it tucks in nicely (close to the back of the truck), doesn't interfere with anything on the hitch or towbar - perfect solution for us:

[​IMG]

5. medicmike5969

medicmike5969 Been an Apache owner since 1991 - 2nd owner

This is what I use from Harbor Freight:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

Get a strap on bicycle carrier for the top of your camper. center it over the axle, and strap it down to the camper as needed. I do not recommend any other way to take bicycles unless putting them inside a travel trailer.

7. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

I'm with Baron on this one. Use the TV.

I'm not a fan of throwing bikes on the already-fragile roof of the PUP. Plenty of other options out there. I have a bit of a review posted on this subforum about the $50 Allen bike rack. Whether it's something like this, a double-hitch mount, or something on the top of the TV, I'd recommend not storing 80+ lbs of bikes on the roof of your PUP.

[​IMG]