How do you all do dishes?

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by Chellie B, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Chellie B

Chellie B Member

Obviously the sink is tiny and not good for more than brushing your teeth. I also do not have a hot water heater. The last two times we've camped we resorted to heating water in our 12 cup coffee maker, washing the dishes outside in a full-size dish pan and rinsing in a 4 qt pot filled with more hot water. We then hand dry the dishes and hope the towels dry by the next meal.

There's gotta be a better way!

2. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Get a dog.
    My dog licks them glossy clean. We'll just put them away.
    What?

3. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

The sink in my PUP really belongs in Barbies playhouse! [:O]

I never intended to use the sink or stove inside. I heat the water in a large pan on the propane burner while eating, then use 2 dollar store dish pans. I like to wipe the greasy dishes with a paper towel first. Wash and rinse as you described and I have a pop up dish drainer from the thrift store so they can air dry or I just hand dry and hang up the towels. Maybe I have too many towels as that has not been an issue.

I dispose of the used water per the camps rules....down a grey water sink or the camp toilet.

The only easy way is to use disposable dishes.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We have done dishes in the same manner through 25 year's of ground and pup camping: heat water on the stove and use two dish pans to wash and rinse the sides, with a gray water pail. Usually we've cooked and washed outside, but we managed to do both inside when the weather was not great.
    The sinks in both of our pups were small and useless and we removed them, keeping the stove.
    We switched to a TT last fall. The sink is more useful, but still too small to actually wash dishes in. We have a hot water tank, so usually use that water in the same basins we used before the TT. If we have forgotten to turn the water tank on, or something, we still heat water on one of the stoves.

When we did a group meal on church camp outs, we used disposable plates and utensils, and heated water on a stove in a large stockpot to wash the cooking and serving dishes.

ETA: The set of pans we have now are Camco RV dish pans (found them on Amazon, but I've seen them at Walmart and the RV stores) and the matching dish drainer, which stacks inside the pair. We also use one of the microfiber drying mats.

Depending on the meal, we often use paper plates now, but we always have metal eating utensils and usually cookware to wash.

5. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

I'd almost eat off my plates if my dog licked them clean ...... almost. [LOL]

6. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

[​IMG]

When boondocking, I run the field sinks with an eccoTemp L5 Instant Hot Shower, 12v FloJet pump, booster pack and an 8 gallon Hydroller. If we've got water and sewer hookups, I plumb the sink drain into the main sewer line.

[​IMG]

Here's the project thread (where several members have posted their own iterations):
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=67998.0

And this fitting allows me to connect the L5 and the camper to a single 20 Lb propane tank at the same time:

[​IMG]

Here's the project thread:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=74552.msg682635#msg682635

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I normally camp where there is little to no water access. Since I have only a 7 gallon aquatainer for water. I do everything I could to conserve water. So instead of the old Girl Scout way of three dish pans of hot water, I rely on three rag and one very small pot of water. First I scrape every last drop of food off the plates and pots into the trash bag. Take one scrubbing rag with soap to wash and next take a damp/wet rag to clean and the last rag is used to dry. This way I only use about two cups of water. When I get home from camp, I will put the dishes in the dishwasher and back in the trailer. With this setup I have been able to use my pup sink if I needed. But often just a small collapsable dishpan. The gray water I put in an empty kitty litter container or if usuing the pup, dump to the gray water container.

8. billbillbillbill

billbillbillbill Active Member

We do similar with the 2 dish tubs (wash & rinse) and then I picked up a Camco rv dish rack which I like. it nests nicely into the 2 tubs when in storage.

[​IMG]

I have done dishes in the PUP but it is tight. I prefer to do it on the picnic table outside.

9. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

DH does the dishes in the PUP sink (In our family, the cook doesn't have to clean up...although she's usually nice enough to help!). The largest pan is washed first and then becomes the rinse pan. If an item doesn't fit into the rinse pan, use a cup to pour water over it to rinse. A dish towel laid over the closed stove top is the draining area.

We use small plates, so this isn't too difficult and it doesn't take much water.

10. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

I treated myself to one of those collapsible dish drains. Sometimes the dishes air dry in the dish drain and sometimes I put them next to the sink on an oven broiler pan with the lip leaning into the sink to drain. The collapsible drain mushes down to about 3 inches and sits on its side edge on the shelf inside the cabinet under the sink. The broiler pan can also be used to cover the sink and makes an extra prep area.

11. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I have a plastic wash basin that fits IN my sink. I heat some water, pour it in that plastic basin and wash the dishes in it. I use the sink to rinse the dishes, then I pour the dishwater down the sink. It all ends up in my greywater tank, and I go dump it. I use my sink, and find it does ok as long as I don't use really large items.

12. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

First, use as few washables as necessary. Paper plates, cups, napkins, which go in a trash sack to go home for the composting pickup in the People's Republic of Boulder. (We're so damn green its embarassing!)

Wipe down washables with paper towels. Wash in plastic dishpan, arrange them so soapy water drains off into second pan. Rinse first pan, then rinse dishes and arrange to drain and dry in the second pan, which has been rinsed. If necessary, dry with paper towels.

Run dishes through dishwasher at home, then directly back into the trailer. Bedding and camping clothes get the same treatment. To leave on next rip all that is necessary is to fill the water, connect the batteries, hitch up and stop at Safeway on the way out of town.

13. gopherit

gopherit New Member

What dishes? Oh, those. On a short weekend trip--wipe food off with paper towel, toss paper towel in campfire, put dishes into recycled plastic grocery bags then take home to wash 'em. The Dutch oven I especially don't like to wash or get wet onsite. On longer trip, use a plastic tub or big bread bowl. Lay out a dish drainer or on top a towel to airdry. When I was GS leader I had to do three-tub wash rinse sanitize. Too compulsive for me.
    When I used to have a cabin I could do dishes with 3 cups of water, if I didn't want to turn the water pump on. Rinse 1st with one cup. Suds with dishrag. Rinse using 2 cups water. you're done-- if you scraped well before starting.

14. Harvardroger

Harvardroger If it feels good, do it! If it hurts, Stop!

We will fill one of the sinks with hot water and a little dish soap. Scrub with a Scrunge and then a quick hot rinse. Then into a drainer to air dry. We use Coleman metal plates, silverware, and cups for the most part.

15. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

Most of our dishes are paper because of the difficulty in washing. That being said, the limited dishes we do use which need to be cleaned are done in a tub and we heat the water either by electric kettle, on the propane stove, or if we are lucky and are not experiencing a fire ban then we keep a fire going and usually have a large pot of water going to keep it warm and use it constantly.

16. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Our Coleman E1 has an outside hose connection with hot and cold control. I have a neat Walmart collapsible table that legs extend to counter height. I can set that next to the trailer and hose, then take two plastic tubs fill one with dish water, the other with rinse. Lay a drip dry towel next to that and it works out real good. We have a big water tank on the E1 so water even boon docking is no sweat.

17. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Active Member

We heat water in a kettle on pup stove while wiping all plates and pots with paper towel which go into evening camp fire. Then pour hot water into a small square plastic dish pan using eco friendly soap wash with throw away type dish cloth (cant remember the name) dry with towel put away. We don't use separate rinse water as we use soap sparingly. Dutch oven gets water and sits back on a few coals and after the meal a brush cleaning, dried and light oil and back in storage bag. The good part is no one has got sick and we are still camping after years of this routine.

18. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

We rarely generate a huge quantity of dirty dishes, so the dish washing routine is part of the fun of camping. Two large plastic tubs, a plastic drying rack on the picnic table, and a grey water bucket. The tubs and rack all nest together for travel.

19. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

We use the sink in the pup for soapy water and a small tub for rinse water. Rack dry or hand dry.

20. Pop Upp

Pop Upp New Member

We also use the very handy Walmart or Costco collapsible table with legs that extends to counter height. I use 4 of the Dollar store plastic dish pans ( they were $ 2 each ) The 1st one I use to collect all the dirty dishes/utensils as I prep, I put everything dirty in the there, Dish no 1 sits on the ground under the table . Our Pop has a warm water heater, so I get the warm water from inside and we wash outside.

In dish no 2 goes the warm water to wash in. Dish no 3 is clean rinsing water. Dish no 4 is the drying off station ..so right out of the rising tub I put them in tub no 4 to dry off a bit. Sometimes I use dish no 4 to put all the clean things in (as they get dried by my helper) if we go wash up at the camp wash stations. I do like the idea of 4 plastic dish pans for my dishes. They work wonderful having so many. They are inexpensive and light weight and take hardly any space in the pup.