How do you all feel about cooking inside the pup?

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by B.T.Brews, Aug 5, 2015.

1. B.T.Brews

B.T.Brews New Member

My wife tells me her mom and dad used to cook inside their pup all the time. I for one am opposed to cooking on ours at all. Steam and grease from cooking can't be good for the canvas. Non to mention lingering odors. What are your thoughts.

2. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

We always have...I guess it depends on what your cooking. The only time I wouldn't is if Bear country.

3. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

I would if mine still had a stove. I wouldn't cook anything greasy though.

4. gruss

gruss Active Member

No bears? Cook on. We use the grill hanging off the side all the time and cook simple on the stove. I wouldn't even be opposed to throwing the griddle over the back burners and making bacon....if it meant I could eat said bacon!

sent from a phone.

5. B.T.Brews

B.T.Brews New Member

Wow.. I would be so worried about setting anything ablaze. It would be just my luck.

6. alwaysonguard

alwaysonguard Member

We make eggs, coffee, leave the larger items for the outdoor setup.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

One of the advantages to us of having a pup was to have a place to cook inside when the weather outside was too crappy. That said, we tended to cook the most simple things inside, plus having a handy place to heat a kettle of water.
    Our food supplies remained stored in the tow vehicle, and even our outside cooking area is kept simple. In some places our outside camp stove is stored in the TV between meals.

8. B.T.Brews

B.T.Brews New Member

It seems like cooking bacon would definitely grease things up. My pup is all tent. There's no hardtop so it seems like it would be difficult to clean and keep from yellowing over the years. I suppose something quick like eggs or to boil water for coffee or tea would be fine.

9. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

Like many, we cook and eat outside as much as possible, on an old two burner liquid fueled Coleman and small propane grill. Shelter is a popup canopy, with tarp and bungee wind wall if needed. USFS, NPS, etc. CG table if possible, but use a roll up table when at informal sites. However, there are those times when rain, snow, hail, cold, high winds move us inside. Actually, that would be a good summary of last year's elk hunt. No elk were harmed in that endeavor.

We keep inside cooking simple and as low on grease and strong odors as possible. Breakfast is likely to be instant oatmeal, boiled eggs, juice and coffee. Lunch of sandwiches might or might not include hot drink or soup. Inside cooked dinner will likely come from cans or packages, no steaks or pork chops. If really tired, Campbell's chunky soup is a blessing! In rare event something is fried- say browning some italian sausage to put in the canned spaghetti sauce- we'll cover the pan with a spatter screen and run the Fan-Tas-Tic at full roar with the diagonally opposite window opened a bit.

By the way, a Halulite pressure cooker is a wonderful thing when cooking spaghetti at 10,000 feet.

10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I usually cook outside if the weather is nice, but I don't mind cooking inside , it heats the PUP up in the hot weather. I usually set up on a table outside with the Grill or the Coleman LP.

11. BillG

BillG Go'in fishing

Just me but we have never cooked inside the camper. We have always cooked outside. With our PUP I hang the stove on the outside and cook there. Previously our camper did not have an inside stove and we used a good old Coleman stove, on the outside table.

12. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Always cook inside. More convenient. Never camped in active bear country.

13. slowalker

slowalker New Member

We decided early on to NOT cook inside because we don't want the lingering food odors. So only heating water, toast or soup inside. We usually put up enough tarps to cover the outside stove for cooking meats and other foods.

14. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

They wouldn't put a kitchen in there if you were supposed to use it. Thus thread reminds me of the toilet/shower owners that refuse to use them.

15. Hutch85

Hutch85 Member

We always did, but the previous owner (relative) didn't because she was afraid of propane stoves.

Never had an issue with odors or grease - we had the swing-up galley with the bay window that extended outwards slightly (Flagstaff 425D), always opened the window and turned the fan on high to vent moisture and odors out. We put aluminum foil behind the stove to protect the canvas and minimize splatter. We had more smoke and odor from the factory grill that hung off the side of the trailer, used it once and switched to a portable grill that we used further away from the trailer.

Of course, we never dry-camped off the beaten path, always at campgrounds - so no worries about bears. :)

16. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

If you are in bear country, you gotta worry about bears whether you are in a campground or not....In the past month, I have talked to people in two different campgrounds that reported bear sightings.

17. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I don't normally camp in bear country and when I am it is only black bears. Most of my cooking is over the open fire when its nice, but when its raining I cook inside with just simple meals. Cooking bacon etc is done outdoors. Of course I was never fond of the bacon smell and it would even make me sick if cooked in a closed space. With that said, my camper was my parents before me and mom cooked everything in it. The smells never really stuck around long as most of the time every window was open and as soon as the campfire was going everything cleared right up. Then again not in bear country. I clean everything up quickly and keep everything in he TV. I try to erace all signs of food.

18. carolinacamper

carolinacamper Member

We camp in bear country and always have to be aware of our them. Had a bear in my campsite once when tent camping. We were asleep, so we did not see the bear. But we could smell it. The bear went right to the picnic table looking for food. We had not left any food out, so the bear took my fire starter log instead.

I'd cook inside the pup in a pinch but so far have only cooked outside using my Coleman LP stove. In fact, we are storing the LP stove that came with the camper.

19. B.T.Brews

B.T.Brews New Member

I don't know that I would compare the bathroom and shower facilities in a camper. Those things I would gladly use. I guess I'm convinced that it's okay to cook inside, depending on what your doing. Warming stuff up and boiling water for drinks and pasta would be okay. I still don't think I would cook or fry any kind of meat. My original post was not so much about cooking in campers in general, but specifically in a pop up with tent walls. I never considered the added bonus of warming things up on a cool morning or evening.

20. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

We cooked outside in our popup. With the TT we cook outside. In 2+ seasons of camping in the TT, we've used the inside cooking facilities less than 5 times- mostly because it was raining hard outside.

If bears aren't a concern, I guess the choice of whether or not to cook inside or outside lies with the person doing the cooking [:D]