How do you Clean/Sanitize bed and cushion covers and foam

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by brdeel, May 17, 2020.

1. brdeel

brdeel Member

I've got a 1997 Coleman Sun Valley PuP. I've owned/used it for 5 years and other people used it for 18 before me. It was not well maintained when I got it, and the covers and foam are most certainly filled with years of dust and stuff. In addition, one of our favorite places to camp is on a private lake next to the water, and there's a dusty dirt road right behind the site. Many times the camper is dust covered inside by the end of the trip. We use sheets, but it still goes thru. I vacuum the beds and cushions, but I know there's still a lot in there. I hesitate to remove the outer coverings and wash them because they never go back on the way they came off after being washed (shrinkage and stuff).

What ways have you found to clean/maintain the covers and foam beds and couch cushions? The only thought I have right now is to spray them with Febreze. Are there any enzyme products you've used that sanitizes better and removes the 23 year old dusty stale smell?

Thanks!

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

In our first pup, which was from 1984, I just removed the covers and washed them, which worked, using thin plastic to put the foam back in worked great. Some on here have actually washed the foam, say in kiddie pools, but we never tried it. When we renovated that pup, we bought replacement foam and I made new cushion covers from heavy canvas.
    The second pup had coarse fabric on the cushions, which was not only uncomfortable, the grit and sand we encounter in some places would sift into the weave and need to be vacuumed out. I made covers that pinned on, from the last of the heavy canvas and some other more tightly woven fabric; those were easy to remove and wash.
    Febreeze is a whole other subject, I hate the stuff, it sets off my asthma, and doesn't seem to do much for deep set odors, etc. Before we knew better, we tried it in a used truck we bought, which turned out to have been owned by a smoker. All the Febreeze ever did was add more stink.

brdeel and Orchid like this.
  3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I went through quite a few different processes with ours. No reason to go through them all because in the end, the thing that worked was burning them, covers and all. Bought new mattress foam and bought zip up, padded mattress covers to put them in.

Bought new foam and made new covers for cushions, too. The only original part is the wood under the foam.

I did all of that about the same time as I bought a new canvas. It smells like a new car in there now. So fresh and clean. I should have done all of the above as soon as we bought the camper.

4. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Would a steam cleaner work?

5. brdeel

brdeel Member

Kitphantom and Orchid,
    Where did you get new bed foam and cushion foam? Is there a generic place? Coleman went out of business years ago and for most things you have to buy generic/other brands and make it work. I don't like febreze either, hate the chemical smell. I did some reading that vinegar might help. It's good to wash clothes in to get out smell so I could run the covers in the wash with vinegar, but that doesn't solve the foam problem

To buy a new set of covers and foam, what did it cost you?

Bridget

world traveler likes this.
  6. kitphantom

I bought the foam from a local foam and upholstery place; there have been some recommending online sources. (If you do a search, you may be able to find posts about that, especially in this section: https://www.popupportal.com/forums/cushion-curtains-carpets-bedding-clothing-stor.79/) There is nothing specific about foam for camper brand. The nice thing about the place I went is that they are knowledgeable, have around a dozen choices for hardness, resiliency, thickness, etc. I had called a couple of other upholstery places, but they didn't have the wider foam for bed cushions.
    Some big box stores, such as JoAnn Fabrics, have foam, but what I've seen has usually not been as good as the stuff from foam suppliers, though they are a bit more expensive.

JennJeff17 and brdeel like this.
  7. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Wash and let air dry...that will prevent shrinkage. Place the foam in a heavy duty garbage bag and suck all the air. Then let the air back. Oddly enough most of all yuck in foam will now me able to sucked off the surface. Using dry cleaner bags and slightly removing SOME of the air and compressing the foam will help you put the covers back on, plus it will protect the foam and you really don't notice the plastics when you sit on it.

brdeel likes this.
  8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I'll go back through my orders and post links and prices. I got the bunk ends from Amazon and the foam for cushions from Foam Factory, I believe.

Amazon links here for king $72.35 and here for full $52.30

We also have the puzzle tile flooring under our mattresses on both bunks. Very comfortable.

foam.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    HappyFamily and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. kitphantom

I always pull out the plastic used to encourage the cover over the foam.

brdeel likes this.
  10. brdeel

brdeel Member

11. My3kidsmd

My3kidsmd New Member

TIDE laundry products now sells a liquid sanitizer spray for clothes bedding cushions ect... I bought it for our home and it's wonderful - leaves a great smell and really gets rid of the yuck.

brdeel likes this.
  12. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

Orchid and brdeel like this.
  13. bronsta

bronsta New Member

I own a 1992 Coleman Chesapeak pup -- bought it brand new (when Coleman meant quality).
    It's still the best night's sleep I get all year round -- better than my own bed.
    Point being... if you decide to buy new foam, make sure it's the best density foam you can find because it really does make a difference.
    FYI… we always put a large (double) sleeping bag (Coleman, of course) on the bed then a bottom sheet, a top sheet then any other blankets needed.

Orchid, brdeel and Jeep Guy like this.
  14. brdeel

brdeel Member

15. Sherronlee

Sherronlee New Member

I am not sure where you are located but I redid all of mine 3 years ago ~ mainly because after having had a 1999 Bayside and then selling it and buying a 2009 Bayside, I didn't find the beds to be anywhere near as comfortable. Since I was doing the beds, I decided to do all the cushions as well so that they not only matched but were the colors I prefer. It took a lot of shopping around as some places were crazy expensive but I found a place that charged me $650 to do both beds and all the cushions. They are in Surrey, BC and are called Home & Foam Decor. It included new foam in the beds but used the existing foam on the cushions. They all have a heavy duty upholstery fabric with vinyl backing and I love them. I do have the old ones and have been thinking of selling them as they are in like new condition. They are from a 2009 Fleetwood Bayside. If you want to google them to see what there is and what they look like.

16. gardenheather

gardenheather Member

For me, I took all the covers off the cushions threw them in the wash, in the dryer, and they were fine for now. The cushions were clean. The mattresses, however, were disgusting. The one that they used the most looked like it had been soaked in sweats and body oils. Truly disgusting. The other one wasn't as bad, but they both had mold growing on them from the trailer roof leaking at one point. They got thrown away needless to say. We bought new ones and I have re-covered one of them and will be recovering the other soon. Unfortunately I chose a heavy woven cotton cover, and I noticed that in the mornings after being closed up the cover is slightly damp from condensation. I'm too exhausted to even think about buying new fabric and replacing them again. So for now that's how they'll stay. Hopefully I won't regret that. But definitely take a look at your mattresses, because I guarantee they're filthy.