How do you cook liver?

Discussion in 'Healthy Outdoor Cooking' started by Econ, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Joshua Armstrong

Joshua Armstrong New Member

Garlic and spicy BBQ sauce fixes everything!.....and whatever you do don’t overcook it!

Econ likes this.
  2. KrisJohnChalet

KrisJohnChalet New Member

I don't like liver much either but I sure love the pate I make! Enough butter, cream and brandy make it quite palatable. Attached is the recipe I use, with a lot of taste testing and adjusting. I put in small containers and it keeps for a long time in the freezer.

Attached Files:

Econ likes this.
  3. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

Elk liver is kind of hard to come by around here. My pate is normally chicken or pork based.

4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

For the folks with snarky responses, this is exactly why Econ prefaced his post.

He likes liver and he's asking for recipes - there is nothing wrong with that (even for this vegetarian). He could have been nicer in his original post, but that doesn't excuse the few responses that were just rude, aggressive and mean. Have a little fun with him sure, but attacking him for a "non-camping-related" post that should be removed - sheesh.

JustRelax likes this.
  5. Skyblue

Skyblue New Member

Liver Pate!
    Cook the diced liver with butter and some herbs, maybe bacon too and then run thru a food processor so it is smooth and spreadable. Delightful spread on bread, crackers or slices of veggies.
    Or buy it pre-made.
    Awesome!

Econ likes this.
  6. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

my response wasn’t meant to be snarky, but he literally said he doesn’t like the taste of liver and was looking for a way to mask the taste.

7. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Just don't eat it. Life is too short to drink cheap wine.

tfischer likes this.
  8. Toedtoes

It wasn't your post that I felt was over the top. You simply voiced an opinion. There is one post in particular that went so far as to reprimand the powers that be for even allowing Econ to post this thread.

tfischer likes this.
  9. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I assumed this was camping based because one must eat while camping. And if one isn't that fond of liver, cooking it outside to dissipate any lingering odors is brilliant!

It might work in a strongly flavored curry, but I don't have enough experience with cooking liver to know if it can stand up to long cooktimes--you might have to add it to the sauce at the last minute.

10. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

Another "I don't eat liver" post, but a co workers mother soaked the liver in milk for hours before cooking. She loved it and claimed the milk bath was the reason. It's been mentioned twice above, there must be something to it...

11. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

Agree on this being an acceptable topic. What other forum than a bunch of people that camp in pups is going to have many ideas on how to cook liver?

I didn’t take the op as snarky. How many topics have been started asking a question and the responses are to argue the validity of the question when it’s obvious the op has already made up their mind that the action is to be done and is looking for advice on how to accomplish?

Econ basically wrote I am looking for ideas to cook liver that make it taste better. Saying don’t cook it isn’t the answer I’m looking for. Further explanation was provided that though I don’t like the taste, the nutritional value to me outweighs my dislike to eat it so I’m just seeking input on a better way to cook it.

I have no input on how to cook liver, but have no problem with the topic or how it was approached to say I’m looking for recipes not your opinion on how you think liver sucks.

Econ likes this.
  12. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

At least someone gets it. Looking for the forgotten wisdom of the great grandmaw collective.<GG>

Toed toes quoting another poster.

Isn't this the Healthy Eating sub forum???

Thanks to everyone who replied with a way. It is greatly appreciated
    Had Pattee yesterday.

Depending on which source you believe and definitions, half to 2/3's of American adults now are some form of diabetic. It's your diet

13. Toedtoes

My dad's family is genetically prone to diabetes. It has traveled down the family generations with the majority getting the disease, regardless of their various takes on health, exercise, eating habits, etc. Per my own doctor, it's not a matter of "if" I get it, it's a matter of "when". A balanced diet will slow it down, but even the healthiest diet won't stop me from getting it. Sometimes these things are a lot more complicated than just diet.

14. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Active Member

You folks are being tuff here. I have a liver fryer and I use that exclusively . My mom always bought calf liver so that's what I buy and remove all the blood vessels before frying so it is not so tuff.

Econ likes this.
  15. Novarich

Novarich Active Member Gold Supporting Member

soak in milk for an hour. saute onions in bacon grease. remove bacon and fry liver lightly breaded with pepper and salt to rare-med rare at med/high heat. DON'T overcook. Just a tinge of pink in the center. maybe a couple minutes a side. You can add a little minced garlic to the grease before you throw in the liver.

Econ likes this.
  16. Fish N Farm

I am disappointed that no one has bit on my liver cooker:)>)

17. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

We may be smarter than you think. I bet somebody Googled liver cooker, just not admitting it.

Novarich likes this.
  18. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Liver and onions smothered in mashed potatoes and gravy is my favorite...My wife hates it but she always makes it for me on my
    B-Day![:D]

19. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

So, who has heard of Liver Nips? It could be a local area thing. The only time I usually see them, is at family reunions now and that generation of cooks is dying off rather quickly these days. There is one restaurant, Shealy's BBQ in Leesville, that still makes them sometimes.

20. Fish N Farm

These folks better quit bad mouthing liver, they are going to make enemies out of every coon-ass in the world. A coon-ass is anybody from South Louisiana. Liver and rice are the main ingredients in Boudin. And if you don't like Boudin you are un American. The Coon-ass founded the Cajun Navy and they rescued 1/2 of Houston after the hurricane 2 years ago. Don't mess with the Cajun Navy!

Econ likes this.