How do you cook liver?

Discussion in 'Healthy Outdoor Cooking' started by Econ, Oct 6, 2020.

1. cindy_k

cindy_k Member

I prepare it the same way that Pat cooks Kale in this video: ;)

Groomporter and Econ like this.
  2. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I've been seeing this thread for some time. Today I thought I would comment. This is the way I prepare Liver.

I cut the liver into small inch size pieces. Then I carefully place one piece on a fish hook and throw it in the river. Catfish love liver. I don't!!! This is the only way I will prepare liver.

3. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

DW cooks great beef liver. She starts with some bacon in the pan for flavor and oil. Then onions until they are translucent, quick sear the liver and cook until it just reach well done and out of the pan. You have to eat it while its warm. Its so tender. Its the best. But she only cooks it about every other year.

To get my liver fix. I do have two places that serve almost as good liver. Both are in the next towns over in different directions or about 15 miles away.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    Econ likes this.
  4. RCmom

RCmom Active Member

I remember my mother cooking liver and onions for my father when I was a child. Or more accurately, I remember the Pyrex bowl in the refrigerator with liver soaking in milk with onion slices.
    This is her recipe.

Fresh beef liver or calves liver soaked in whole milk with Vidalia onion slices at least 10 hours in a covered glass dish (or zip lock bag) avoid metal bowls and utensils. The longer the soak, the less "tanginess" it will have according to my mom.
    In a skillet, saute diced onion and diced bacon until the bacon is cooked but not crispy . (Don't use the milk onion). While this cooks, remove the liver from the milk and onion bath and let it rest. Remove the onions and bacon from the skillet. Turn the skillet heat down to a low medium temperature and add the liver. 1 minute on each side, then cook to desired doneness (total cook time is only about 5 minutes for medium). Top with onions and bacon for the last minute.

Econ likes this.
  5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I like my liver served with Fava beans... and a nice Chianti.....

6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member