How do you handle a private sale?

Discussion in 'For Sale and Wanted' started by Ntk37, Sep 29, 2019.

  1. Ntk37

    Ntk37 Member

    Likes Received:
    Jun 7, 2019
    We’re looking to sell our pup and am wondering what is required. Bill of Sale? How do we transfer the title? Do they need plates to take it home? Any insight would be helpful.
  2. Sjm9911

    Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    May 31, 2018
    Depending on the state, the information is different. Yes a bill of sale, clear title( so no leans or a not clearing them). Title is signed and has instructions on it. In nj the bill of sale needs to be notarized, and you also need the registration. Plates, are up to you. There your plates , so you usally are required to turn them in.
  3. gec66

    gec66 Active Member

    Likes Received:
    Sep 24, 2010
    +1 for depends on state, but if your trailer has a title the back has all the transfer function you really need. If no title then definitely a bill of sale and forms can be found for free on the web. If your state requires the title to be notarized then you will need to sign off on it in front of the notary. Most banks have one on duty during normal business hours. Plates are also a state to state issue. Some states the plates go with the vehicle and some they belong to the owner. Technically they will need plates to get home, but I have driven/towed freshly purchased vehicles home on many occasions without issue. Having freshly dated purchase info typically gets you a pass as long as you aren't a jerk or otherwise doing stupid stuff.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.