How do you handle showers when you are camping with children of the opposite sex

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by AG 25, Jul 21, 2011.

1. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

For the weekend camp outs we would take a sponge bath and for the week stay i would take the girls to the women side and i would Waite outside with my son this was when they were young.

2. papachaz

papachaz New Member

doghouse? who needs a doghouse, the man has a PUP!

i still think a few trips without her, and the kids coming home excited from all the fun may change her mind. was it the set up/work involved that swayed her? remind her that it gets faster and easier each time...

3. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

I can sort of relate to your wife. My husband takes his Jeep off roading. And in the beginning, I went along and 'tried to be a good sport'. But as he became more experienced with off roading he went from doing logging roads and green trails to blue, black trails. The sound of metal bumping, scratching and scraping over rocks is very un-nerving to me. Once he got stuck in a mud puddle up to his windows (needed a new clutch with repairs and towing it was $1200). He has replaced tires and drive shafts repeatedly. THIS IS THE VEHICLE HE NEEDS TO GO TO WORK IN. We are a one income family and costs for repairs were really adding up.

I did not go with him on the trails at all last year, I told him for the sake of our marriage, I would stay home. I told him I would never go back on the trails with him EVER AGAIN(I was upset over repairs). He continued to go with the boys and I stayed home missing them. So this year, I will go on the trips where he promises to only do green trails and if he wants to do a blue, I get out of the jeep and take videos and pictures. He promised no more black trails. It's still hard for me, but I get to be with my family and that is really what it's all about.

My advice, if you are interested in it, is to find out what about camping she used to like, what bothered her enough to say she would never go again. Then try to find ways to increase the things she likes, and reduce the things she doesn't like.

Good luck!

4. papachaz

papachaz New Member

well spoken wendy!

5. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

I have 2 daughters, 9 and 3. Most of the time the wife is there to handle that aspect, but in some cases we may go 2 or 3 days without a shower... it is camping after all.

If it came down to it, most of the CGs we go to have a "entrance" area that is closed off, as well as individual showers that have their own curtains, so I would find a time when no one else is there, and stand guard to make sure no other males try to come in and just explain the situation. I ran into that once or twice before and I understood.

6. kurtes

kurtes Reno, NV

We normally only go for 2 nights and I have a 12 year old boy. The three of us can make it through without a shower, it is camping and we are usually near a body of water so it's fine with me!
    We do have one of those black water bags you hang in the sun, they are great for quick shower if you really need one. My pup has a shower but it's an indoor one and I doubt I could turn around in it so I haven't used it yet.
    Sometimes dirty can be fun, can't it?

7. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

What's wrong with that?? The pool water is clean and chlorine kills the germs. [:D]

DW and I let the kids skip a shower or bath after swimming sometimes.

When we were kids, we bathed in the river when camping.

Sponge baths work too. When I was a kid, also, I would sometimes get a sponge bath in front of the fireplace in the cold of winter. A wash-rag and basin of water will get you clean enough.

8. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

[LOL] [LOL] I know, I know... but that chlorine smell. That is why God had me marry the man I married. He is very calm, layed back and easy going... he helps me to relax and not be so anxious about every little thing [;)]

9. natedog_37

natedog_37 New Member

^ wow you sound like my wife.

I am the laid back everything will be fine, and she is screaming Fire running around like a crazy woman.

Our little one is to small for this issue, and my wife always camps with us, but I see my sister running into this issue with her Boys.

10. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

I am glad your wife found a calm, easy going fellow too [;)]

sort of related: when we are dining out with our boys (6 1/2 & 4 1/2) they usually need to use the restroom-right as the food comes... they DO NOT want to use the ladies room, so poor Peter has to take them and I sit happily and eat my nice warm food. There is a benefit to being the opposite sex parent [;)]

11. bummy

bummy New Member

AG 25 with wife not wanting to camp could it be that she feels like she has to work harder while camping then beeing at home. The last camping tripp i went on my wife and her brother and his family the whole time waited for me to do all the cooking and pretty much everything else while they sat in there camp chairs relaxing while i did all the work. I began thinking to myself this isn't worth all the hassel. So i finalley snaped and told them how i felt. Well i actually told my free loading brother in-law to get the !##$%^ out of there. For the showers just wear bathing suits and try make make a fun time out of it. Hope fully the wifes continues to camp! Just my [2C]

12. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

The chlorine smell is definitely better than the puppy dog smell that the kids get when rolling around in the dirt outside. :)

Sounds like ya'll are a perfect complementary couple like my DW and I. She keeps me in line and I try to get her to relax sometimes. Wouldn't trade her for anything though.

13. popupmom

popupmom New Member

I'm sorry your wife doesn't want to camp anymore. I love to camp and can't imagine not being outside. We use both a pop-up and a tent. Either way it is just fantastic being outside. Don't let that stop you from going with your girls.

As for the girls. I would recommend a sun shower. They aren't expensive and you can grab a couple to make sure you have enough water. You can set it up on a tree and just hose them down with it. They can shower in their bathing suits. There are great soaps that you can use that are fine for the outdoors. Otherwise, make sure you stay at a spot that has the showers not designated for either men or women. There are plenty of them. Our PU has a shower inside - maybe an upgrade??? I agree with one of the other fellow posters - who needs a shower - you are camping!

Try to convince your wife to go again - she really doesn't know what she is missing.

14. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Well....can't directly relate to the DW not wanting to camp anymore thing.....but was just talking to a buddy of mine this past weekend and he told me that his DW doesn't want to camp anymore. He's pretty bummed about the whole thing and more than a little baffled because when they were dating, his now DW accompanied him on numerous backpacking trips as well as standard camping trips with no issue. It turns out (according to him) that she never really liked it in the first place but they were dating and she wanted to impress. He wishes she would have just said she didn't like camping up front when they were dating and there would be no issue.....they have a 4 and 6 year old and he still wants to take them but is worried about handling them all by himself in woods.

15. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg "Failure is not an option"

Although my girls are older than yours, (12 and 8), they go to the shower together and wear their swimsuits. I feel better that my little one is with the older one and the swimsuits help with the privacy issue. If I am needed, all they have to do is walk right out, no worries about getting dressed. Yes, I am the mom, but don't always go with them now, if the shower is close by. Have them practice together in the shower at home. BTW, we started camping when my girls were 9 and 5, and the 9 year old was always the "big helper" with her little sister!

16. jsalexan7

jsalexan7 Flatlander

Ours are 10 and 12yo girls. A couple of years back when we were tent camping we'd just split with mom and a girl and me and a girl and call it done in half the time. With them getting older, they can thankfully handle the showers themselves but they drag one of us parents along to stand guard for moral support if they feel insecure going it on their own - mostly early mornings or late at night when there's nobody else around. Guard duty involves keeping monsters from coming into the bathroom and a few minutes of peace and quiet for stepdad while they babble and giggle in the showers. Mom will sometimes just go in with them. When it's just me and the girls, I let them sort out the shower schedule themselves if they're feeling fastidious or toss them in the lake when the dirt gets caked on too thick if not. I never took them with just me when they were younger but would not have hesitated to take them into the men's side with me during low use times.

The two kids will still usually choose to shower together or in adjacent stalls so the privacy thing between the two sisters is a nonissue. I've only been called upon to enter the dark foreboding lair that is the ladies shower area one time to evict a raccoon. Nobody else was even on the CG at the time and I was specifically requested to (unanimous orders from all present) or I wouldn't have gone in at all.

Within the family we don't think twice of all of us changing clothes in the same space at the same time though we do give privacy whenever requested and always when we think it's going to be wanted, out of respect. We just trust one another to preserve modesty and don't worry about it. We're a family, not a group of strangers and their mom has raised them not to have hangups like that inside the family. This is not something I, as stepdad, could gainsay if it even occurred to me to do so. My own upbringing was pretty much the same with the 5 of us (2 boys, a girl and mom and dad).

Moving into the future, teenagers are body conscious and need more privacy and, as parents, we will adapt and allow for that with the only exception being extraordinary circumstances presenting a clear and present danger to the child or family as a whole (bear, tornado, rabid critter, drunk idiot blundering into the wrong campsite, etc).

17. DavidR

DavidR Member

UGH!

Coffee ALL over my monitor!

[LOL]

18. LisaFree

LisaFree New Member

Showering in their bathing suits is an excellent idea! For soap, use the kids soap that's both shampoo and body wash (Suave makes it - it's also tear free) so there's one less thing for them to keep up with. The 8 year old should be able to help the 5 year old get clean and rinsed good.

19. kurtes

kurtes Reno, NV

"Showers? We don't need no stinking showers!" :)