How do you handle your gray water?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Alan, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Alan

Alan Active Member

Our pop-up has a water system, but no on-board gray water tank. I am curious as to what you experienced pop-up owners do for a gray water system?

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I have a blue tote with wheels. A small hose or PVC going from the camper to the tote. My tote was on the expensive side, but I liked the wheels. Others just use a simple 5 gallon bucket. It doesn't have to be much.

3. bknjohnson

bknjohnson Tyngsboro MA

We have a blue tote also, although we usually camp with full hookups and use a gray water hose from the PUP drain to the sewer. When we have gone without the sewer connection the tote works just fine. The wheels are very helpful to cart it away. The blue tote or a 5 gallon bucket works just fine, just be sure not to mix up your gray water and fresh water hoses.

4. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Use a 5 gallon water bottle for sink grey water, and 30 gallon tote for shower grey water, and have a cassette potty tank. Empty all 3 in the morning and good until the next day takes all of 10 minutes to load up and take to dump station and take back to camper. Most of the time they are not full which makes it easier to transport to dump and clean. This is what works for me.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

When we had the pup, we started out with a re-purposed 2gal. gas can (which I painted grey) after a few years we switched to a 7gal. aqua-tainer.

6. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

Alan, we have a Chalet Aframe with 16 gallons of fresh water capacity. Most of our trips are of the "boondocking" variety. We go to great lengths to limit water use and gray water generation. Gray water runs out the sink into an elbow and 3.5 foot section of gray garden hose and then is collected in a gray 6 gallon plastic "Jerry Can" made by Reliance. Disposal is into the outhouse or disposal site in campgrounds. Otherwise, I lug the jug at least 100 yards from the campsite and scatter into a clump of brush. I like the fact that the jug can be closed tightly for transport. Learned to use a bungee to stabilize the jug against the side of the camper.

7. Alan

Alan Active Member

I have 2 - 7 gallon Aqua-tainers, one for shower and one for sink. The problem I am working toward taking care of is how to bring the gray water back home, as many or most of the campgrounds we will be going to have no dump stations. The back of a 4 wheel drive, F150 is a little high for putting any large tanks full of water into. Does anybody have a Coleman with the under frame gray water tank? If so how does it work?

8. Alan

Alan Active Member

This is pretty much what we have done to date...I know it's not "legal" to dump gray water in CA, but the water I have dumped is mostly water with a very small amount of soap. That said, I would like to be able to have a tank I can bring home and dump. I think our fresh water tank is 20 gallons.

9. Alan

Alan Active Member

Currently, I use 2 - 7 gallon containers and empty frequently. I may get one of the 30 gallon tow behind totes eventually, but to date the campgrounds we have stayed at have had no dump stations. So we either dump it on the ground away from the campsite or bring it home to dump down the sewer clean-out.

Yes, we have the cassette toilet which is it's own self contained unit and actually very convenient to use. Hopefully everybody realizes we are talking about gray water which does not contain human waste or even food waste for that matter. We camp clean and don't have dishes to wash. Pans get wiped out before washing, to eliminate any food from our gray water. We also take our trash to the campground dumpsters a couple times per day so we don't attract bears and other critters.

10. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have a 25 gal blue tote with wheels. The sink gray water empties into it. For a week long trip I just empty the tote on the last day. We have a shower but never use it. We do have an onboard tank for the shower though. I think out holds 20 gal and I would need to xfr it to the tote

11. Alan

Alan Active Member

I also learned that I need to cover the inlet to the Aqua-tainers...I run a 5/8" hose into each tank, but last Summer a Chipmunk got into one and drowned, which was pretty sad. I gave him a proper burial, but felt bad about it. This year I need to modify the lids to accept the hoses so no critters can get in.

Dragonfli032 likes this.
  12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I un-screwed the spout from the cap and fed the hose thru that hole..

13. Alan

Alan Active Member

14. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Same one.. in that picture the spout is reversed and screwed into the lid from the inside (for shipping and security) .. Just unscrew and feed hose thru that hole..

15. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

If you use a bucket or sort of open container, you can do like the girl scouts do and put a "critter stick" in it--chipmunks and insects can climb out. :)

16. lucky13don

lucky13don Active Member

we use a 5gal bucket with lid from firehouse subs.cost $5.00. took a 3/4" paddle bit and made a hole for hose and a smaller bit for a vent.then dump at bath house shower.

17. Alan

Alan Active Member

I didn't think the spout came off of the lid but I'm going to be checking that out for sure. Thanks!

18. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Are there any small ~5gal containers out there that have regular garden hose type connections?

19. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Quickly googled and found something that answered by own question https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085KGOF2 but would be interested in other options.

Alan likes this.
  20. Alan

Alan Active Member

There are a couple brands of gray water tanks that are similar. I looked at these after last season. They look to be good if where you camp has someplace to dump your gray water.