How do you hook up your WDH?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by CampingFam, Jan 9, 2017.

1. CampingFam

CampingFam Member

Hi Everyone,

I went from a 2500HD to a Yukon last year and towing is a completely different experience. I never had a WDH with my 2500HD but I got one with the Yukon. In talking with the guys who setup my hitch they said I needed to lift the entire back end of the yukon up to get the spring bars on. I'm really hesitant to do this since I have auto leveling suspension on the Yukon. I saw a guy with a WDH use a jack to lift the spring bars up and then he pushed them on.

I'm curious how those with WDH put their spring bars on?

2. sierrapup

sierrapup Active Member

if you're pulling a popup you would be better off with a friction sway bar than wdh. those wdh's can be to hard on the light frames of some pup's.
    buy you didn't tell us what you have. put it in your signature box under your profile and we can see it

3. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

according to his profile, he has a hybrid Roo 223s, so probably does need a wdh.

Camping fam - do you mean he placed a jack on the spring bars themselves and lifted them into place? They would be under a lot of tension doing it that way and probably not very safe.

I do lift the back end of our TV when hitching up. With the hitch on the ball and locked down, i lift the camper tongue up with the tongue jack until the bars just swing into place. it does lift the durango a bit, I do have a load leveling system and have had no issues. We use the E4 WDH.

side note: our bars were real stiff when the WDH was new. Had a heck of time moving the bars at all. They have loosened up with use so are much easier.

4. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

We use a WDH, love it. Our Coleman E1 has a stout frame, no sweat. I hook up to the ball, use the trailer jack to jack it all up just enough to heft the bars into place. Works fine. Using a jack to lift each bar up?? Sounds like a lot of work and never seen it done that way before...

5. shfd739

shfd739 Member

We had to use a WDH on our tongue heavy Niagara when we towed it with our Trailblazer. Most folks connect onto the ball then use to tongue jack to raise the back of the tow vehicle until the spring bars are easily connected/lifted into place. Once the bars are connected lower the tongue to settle the weight onto the TV and raise the jack leg up. To unhook do the same thing-raise the rear of the vehicle up with the tongue jack to take the weight off the spring bars.

Look in your owners manual for the Yukon. There should be instructions on how to pause the auto leveling to connect a trailer.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

What shfd739 said....

7. Fleetwood Max

Fleetwood Max Member

These guys are correct in what they are telling you..But if you still have doubt, you can you tube it and find what you are looking for...

8. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

There is a reason that electric tongue jacks have a 3500# capacity, to lift the rear of the TV.

9. Bigpopper2008

Bigpopper2008 Member

We have a Yukon XL and the back of it has to be really high to get the chains on at the correct link. Dealer set up hitch and went through step by step. Make sure you grease the ball and bars or it will creak like a screen door.

10. ByramTra

ByramTra Member

Never had to jack up the back end of a TV to chain up a WDH before. Always just latched the chains on about when the coupler first contacted the ball. 1997 Suburban and Heavy old 22' TT. Never needed the lever to get the chains in position ether, just shoved the chain couplers onto place by hand. Probably safer for fingers using the lever though. Different setups might be different, but unless you are pushing close to the tongue weight limit of the Yukon I don't think you need to put a ton of weight on the WDH leveler bars. Definitely don't think you need to use a jack under the leveling bars, or use the trailer jack to lift the tongue past the point of 0 tongue weight.

11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

My TT has a tongue weight of 1k lbs. I doubt if I could hook the spring bar chains with a section of pipe if I tried without first using the tongue jack to raise the hitch. Even if I could, it could potentially be dangerous if the pipe slipped. By raising the tongue, I can flip the chain brackets up by hand.

12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Then you weren't using your WDH properly and had no weight distribution happening..

13. Fleetwood Max

Fleetwood Max Member

Oh yea Byramtra, Snow is correct,, This is what the WDH is used for,,, I would say you need to measure the height test to see where you are with your WDH..

14. natty bumppo

natty bumppo 2009 F-150,1998 Coleman Westlake

Most dealers give little to no information about the correct way to hook up a WDH. I see campers going down the road with improperly adjusted WDHitches all the time. I was guilty of this years ago when I purchased a used WDH with no info on how to set it up. If the WDH was new it should have directions on how to set it up. If not you can find some great "How to" videos on Youtube and if you know the brand of WDH you have you may find an instruction manual with a google search. Yes you have to use the camper jackscrew to raise the rear of the TV and install the bars and chains so the WDH can do its job. If set up correctly when you take the load off the jackscrew your TV will return to the original level. You'll also have to raise with the jackscrew to release the tension to take the WDH off.

15. CampingFam

CampingFam Member

I had completely forgotten I asked the question. Thanks Everyone for the replies.

The yukons owners manual says to connect the hitch without the spring bars before I start the vehicle, then start the vehicle and let it auto level, then I am supposed to connect the spring bars. I've heard it takes about two miles of driving for the vehicle auto leveling system to complete it's balance. I'm going to try driving for two miles without the spring bars then I'll connect those up after I do that. From reading the manuals of both the yukon and the WDH that seems like the best way to do it.

As to my friend, he used a floor jack to get the bars up high. It was pretty crazy to watch and I also thought it was dangerous. I'm thinking the bars will soon give a little more flex once i use the hitch more. As for the grease, do I want to grease where the bars connect to the trailer? I though we don't want grease so the friction will act as an anti-sway.

16. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

Not sure I understand auto-leveling systems, but am completely sure you want tension on the spring bars in any WDH setup. The whole point is to even out the load between trailer axle, and front and rear axles of the tow unit.

Grease the top of the hitch ball, and both top and bottom trunnion cups on the hitch head, or where the L-type bars insert into the head. If your bar ends rest on platforms (no chains) Do Not grease there or you will lose the ant-sway effect.

One responder mentioned being cautious about using a WDH on popups. I have seen a couple of popups where the WDH caused a bend in the C-section frame where the anchors for the bar ends were located. Both looked funny from a side view- trailer body sloping slightly to ward front, but tongue structure then sloping up toward ball. One had a wrinkle in the metal of the frame. Best to check with the trailer manufacturer to see if a WDH is advisable.

We got the WDH when towing with a Jeep Liberty. Even with a set of air springs it was a bit tail low and nose high. Lots of light flashes from oncoming vehicles. Since switching to the Dakota pickup I've kept using the WDH as I feel it gives me better control when driving on snowy, gravel and especially washboard roads. Did have to set it up again to get proper wheel well heights.

Hook up is as others have described- latch coupler to ball, crank up in the air, swing the bars onto the platforms, install lock pins, crank down. As it took 52 turns on the crank, I installed an electric tongue jack. One of the best changes made to the [ALPU]. What with the front storage bin, two big batteries, two tanks and the new jack, ours is pretty tongue heavy.

Last thought- contact the tow unit manufacturer directly for advice on using a WDH.