How do you keep clean(ish) without a shower

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Iwannacamp, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Iwannacamp

Iwannacamp New Member

Just bought our first PUP and are very excited to start camping. We have plans for some local camping and then have a reservation for 10 days at Dead Horse Point State Park outside of Moab for the end of May - early in June. We're bringing two grown kids and two little grandkids.

Dead Horse has no water available to fill the tanks and no showers. We have a potty/shower in the PUP, but with no water available within 20 miles, it's not like we can all take showers. We'd be doing nothing but hauling water.

This is probably going to be a silly question; but, what do people do in that situation? Do you just get stinkier as the time goes by? Take "bird baths"? How do you wash your hair?

Thank you for any info!

2. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

Wet Wipes and Gold Bond will be your friend. They also make a waterless-shampoo but i've never tried it.

3. edh

edh Active Member

Bird baths--that captures it perfectly, get by with those for a day or two.

My pup doesn't have facilities so i carry a solar shower and a couple collapsible water jugs because I just can't stand to go too long without a decent clean up. If you only run the water to get wet and later to rinse off, you can squeeze a few showers out of those. You can also buy portable shower / toilet tents for the needed privacy.

I also saw a rig once where someone just threw a solar shower on his roof rack and had a swing out arm that held the outlet, and from which he'd hung a shower curtain. You have to take a darn quick shower in skeeter country. though...

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

As long time ground campers, we're used to this. We consider that we're camping, but try to keep ourselves so that people don't step away when we go to town.
    There are places to get showers in Moab, the inter-agency information center has a hand out, last I knew. When we have camped at Island in the Sky or Dead Horse Point, supply runs and exploring take us into town at least every couple of days. Also:
    http://www.discovermoab.com/shower.htm

Baby wipes are your friends; they actually seem to do a better job at removing sunscreen and bug repellent than a washcloth,unless you're actually showering. The nice thing with having a pup is the ability to stand up inside and take a basin bath. Minimum of soap for anything, since it's hard to rinse.
    I have often settled for rinsing my hair with plain water. I have a hat on most of the time - especially in places like the Moab region - so just rinsing the salt off does wonders. (My skin is reactive, I need to at least keep it down to a dull roar.)

5. 92coleman

92coleman New Member

You may want to pack some"No Rinse Shampoo Caps" for your hair, found on Amazon. Hospital used these on my MIL, she said they were amazing.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Personally, the no-rinse things are iffy - I've tried several over the years, and haven't found one that works for me. Being stuck in a campground miles from anywhere with no-rinse on my hair was not fun, but at least it had a good supply of water to rinse it out. They used a different no-rinse shampoo on me in the hospital last summer - I was so glad to get home and have a real shower!

7. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

If it's just for a weekend and I have enough water to wash up, I don't worry too much about showering.

If you're camping for longer than that, wash your hands and face, brush your teeth, wipe the rest of yourself down with baby wipes, change your socks and undies, roll on some antiperspirant, splash some water on your hair, brush it, throw on a ball cap and some bug juice. Done.

8. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Member

We actually carry a portable shower and a shower tent. I have the Zodi hot tap shower - http://zodi.com/hot-showers/hot-tap-hp-shower. This is a hot water on demand system and it puts out a great hot shower. I use this with a shower tent and it is wonderful after a long day.

9. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

Baby diaper wipes.

10. bldmtnrider

bldmtnrider Member

I really think you are going to be finding yourself driving through town at least every other day. I don't think dead horse is going to have enough to entertain you guys for more than a day or 2 and I think your campsite is going to become a base camp for other Moab side trips. There are good showers on the north side of the Moab (I think it is the first gas station you come to a few miles north of the Arches entrance) and water can be had for free at the shell station on the north end of town.

I'd bring along a solar shower, and as many empty water jugs as you can find and just fill up in town. My guess is 10 gallons should cover your crew for a few days if you take combat showers.

Babywipes work but by day 3 or 4 I'm ready for a shower, especially in the Moab after April.

11. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

We find the giant size body wipes used in nursing homes do a pretty good job of sanitizing the bod. Same for a series of the baby size. Both are available in most drug stores.

Bird bath, bucket bath, and the like (I learned a different term in the Army.....) can be effective. Use about a quart for scrubbing, then rinse with another quart.

Like many, we have an outside shower on the [ALPU], and like to use it. Wet down with just a little water, use a minimum of soap, rinse down with a little water. We use bathing suits to shower.

Special Note: many camping areas, whether formal or informal- disapprove of waste water being dumped on the ground. We put the bucket bath water down the drain into the gray water container. For the outside shower we stand in one of the Rubbermaid totes to catch the water, and it goes into the gray jug by means of a big mouthed funnel.

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I used baby wipes for quick wipe downs and on the 3rd day took a sponge bath using only a few cups of water. Wet the cloth and wet down soaped up and staying as close to the bucket rinsed off. Holding your head over the tub/bucket used a cup to wet the hair. I used a little shampoo (not as much as I usually use), but a bit to clean and again leaned over the bucket to rince. May sound kind of gross, but another person can use that same water as long as it isn't too soapy/dirty. I used a dish basin as it was wider and easier to lean over. Just conserve and reuse your water if it's fairly clean. If there is a stream nearby you can collect some of that to bath with. I washed my dishes the entire day using the same dishwater as I usually use paper towels to clean all the food particals off.

13. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Personally, I am not a big fan of baby wipes. I find no matter which ones I use, they leave me slightly sticky. I simply put a small pot of water on the stove, get it good and hot, dump it in a small bucket we have in the PUP and use a wash cloth. I don't ever really need much soap. I will hit the "hot spots" with some bar soap last, but for the most part it is a good wipe with a hot wet wash cloth, then a little soap in the hot spots, and rinse down with the wash cloth. I can do all that right in the PUP. If the kids are with us, I just kick them out for a bit.

I find that method REALLY makes me feel clean and gets the bug dope off me.

Trust me, I LOVE my daily shower, but I can get by this way for over a week. After that, I usually search for a shower somewhere. But, if I'm passing by a shower, I will take advantage of it. During camping season, I keep a small kit in the TV that has my flip flops, cheap towel and some soap. If I see a shower, I will stop in.

14. Iwannacamp

Iwannacamp New Member

Thank you for all the responses. Sounds like diaper wipes and bird baths are the ticket until we go into town. Huge thank you for the list of places that offer shower facilities from Kitphantom.

15. blondedriver

blondedriver Member

for the guys it also helps to shave the arm pits!! the Bactria sticks to the hair

16. Tin_man

Tin_man New Member

My wife just got some of that waterless shampoo spray. I didn't care for it too much. She seems to like it.

17. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Sponge bath every-other day and baby-wipes morning and night every day. Works like a charm. :)

18. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

Bird Bath here. Although DW has always called it a "P.T.A. Bath"
    Pits.... Word that starts with a "T" and rhymes with Pits...... And the last word that is similar to a Mule.
    God, how I love that Woman! [:D]

19. Wecamp04

Wecamp04 Member

We use wet wipes for a couple days then heat a little water and just wash up with a rag and little soap every couple days ,wife has got a can of the dry shampoo to try see how she likes it ,Myself I don't have much need for shampoo anymore....lol

20. jharahush

jharahush New Member

I pay the $4.00 to shower at the Rec Center. It's a swimming pool locker room and it feels great to wash off all of the grime after a day or two of being out in the desert.