How do you know what setting to put Brake Controller at?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by jk70, Jun 6, 2015.

1. jk70

jk70 Member

Currently have mine set at 3.4. Couldn't tell you the reason for that

2. FL_Bill

FL_Bill I'm cooking something yummy!

my manual said to test it on a flat clean surface. Panic/rapid stop repeatedly and turn up the controller until you can feel the assist. With loaded trailer you may need to turn it up more. But I would look up your brand and follow directions.

FL Bill

3. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I've had three different brands. They all say about the same thing:

1. Find a large open lot (K-Marts are great, not so many light poles!!) and get up to about 25 mph.

2. Then use the CONTROLLER adjuster and slide it slowly until you feel the trailer brakes grab - you will feel it! While you were sliding or rolling the adjuster piece, it was remembering what it needs to know to stop your trailer, thus it sets your number.

3. My first 2 controllers had digital numbers so I could always see the actual number. The one I have now (came with the truck) has no digitals, but I just make sure it does it's job a few times. I might even go 35 or 40, to see if the settings come out pretty consistent.

Gotta admit, there was something comforting about seeing the 'number'. Also, if I say, swap the heavy stuff around or something, in the car or TT, I tend to find a large store just to give it a tweek if needed, before I hit the road.

I think I liked the Prodigy brand the best. [8D]

[:D]

4. catseye

catseye all I remember is dirt...sky...dirt...ambulance

35 is what my Ridgeline seems to feel balanced at. May change with topo....

5. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

The first time and periodically, I set mine as follows:
    • Pulled the trailer and stopped repeatedly for a few minutes bit to get it warmed up.
    • Once the trailer brakes were warmed up, I drove about 10-15 miles an hour and then adjusted the setting
    • I set mine where when using the manual engage switch, it applies the brakes just short of lock-up when fully engaged.

On my PUP and brake controller (Tekonsha), it is at or around 4.5 usually.

When adjusted correctly, I barely notice the trailer's effect on my stopping. I don't feel the trailer pushing me.

6. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

I determined the setting by reading the manual and following the set up instructions. If you don't have a paper manual they are available online.

7. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Here are the instructions from my Tekonsha Primus:

Adjusting the Power to the Trailer Brakes (Prior to setting Boost)
    Once the control has been securely mounted within the 0 to 70-degree range, it is necessary to set the power needed to stop the trailer during a braking event.

1. Connect trailer to tow vehicle.

2. With engine running hold manual full left and set Power Knob to indicate 6.0

3. Drive tow vehicle and trailer on a dry level paved surface at 25 mph and fully apply manual knob.
    ✓ If trailer brakes lock up: Turn power down using power knob.
    ✓ If braking was not sufficient: Turn power up using power knob.

4. Repeat Step (3) until power has been set to a point just below wheel lock up or at a sufficient force as to achieve maximum braking power.

5. Using the brake pedal, make a few low speed stops to check the power setting. Trailer braking is initiated and terminated via the stoplight switch. When the brake pedal is released, trailer braking will cease

NOTE:

1. Always warm the trailer's brakes before setting the power. Warm trailer brakes tend to be more responsive than cold brakes. To warm trailer brakes, drive a short distance (1/4 mile) at 45 MPH with manual lever engaged enough to cause trailer braking at a low level.

2. WARNING The power should never be set high enough to cause trailer brakes to lock up. Skidding trailer wheels can cause loss of directional stability of trailer and tow vehicle.

3. The power may need to be adjusted for different load weights and road conditions.

4. Not all trailer brakes will lock up due to various conditions. However, inability to lock up the brakes generally indicates the need for an inspection to determine the cause.

5. When the power is set correctly you should feel unified braking between the trailer and tow vehicle.

6. WARNING Boost setting will be cleared under abnormally low battery conditions. Check boost setting after starting vehicle.