How do you level your trailer?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by MyName, Jul 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MyName

MyName Active Member

I have 3 levels showing. Top left and bottom center are off. Top right is level.
    The bottom center was on the pop up trailer when I got it. What to do?
    [​IMG]

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We did not use the roof to determine level on either pup, since it's too easy for that to be off a little. Our first pup roof was obviously a bit warped by the time we got it, which helped us know not to use it.
    We found a spot on the A-frame that agreed with longer levels, used on the floor inside,and used a small t-level. Once we determined that spot on the A-frame, we just use the small t-level. (BTW, we also learned to double-check the accuracy of the t-level with our other levels too. One of the new ones we had in the tool box this spring was definitely off.)
    On our second pup, the seemingly best place to put the t-level would have been on a flat cross piece- turned out that was not level compared to the floor inside. On the A-frame itself, it agreed with the inside.

With our TT, we also used a small level in the 'fridge to make sure the floor and the level on the A-frame agreed with it.

With a bit of practice, we learned to judge how many Lynx blocks to use under the low wheel, by how the bubble looks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    jumpoff and Rik Peery like this.
  3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I have a big bubble on the front that I can see from the truck. I pull up on my Andersen levelers until its level side to side. I have another bubble on the side that I use for back to back....I mounted the aforementioned bubbles by using the inside of the freezer as a reference point.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Use the inside floor or a front mounted level on a panel. Just be sure the camper is level before attaching the level.
    The roof is the worse place to check for level. Level has to be checked on the fixed lower body.

jumpoff likes this.
  5. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

I just use a 6" torpedo level on the tongue. Across on the brace and the A frame for side to side, and on one of the A frame members for front to back. It's close enough for us.

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have the bubble levels on my unit, but I usually use a small carpenters level especially front to back, I place it on the frame by the jack so I can see it.

7. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

To level side to side I use a 4' level across the tongue. For front to back I raise the roof enuff to use the rail the roof sits on.

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

We have two small stick on levels, one circular level on the tongue jack and I also carry a small torpedo level I can attach to the stove or fridge if needed..

9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

If you have a fridge, use a level inside it to first get your trailer level. Then, once it is level, find a preferred spot outside to put a permanent level - place that level so it reads level regardless of what that spot "thinks" is level. And do not use an independently movable spot like the roof.

In your case, leveling on the roof can be warped if the roof is lowered or raised incorrectly or something inside is pushing on one side of the roof, etc.I

the main purpose of leveling is to keep the fridge working. The trailer may not have been built so that the walls, floor, ceiling and fridge are all level against each other - so using the fridge ensures that it will be in the most level position when parked. If another part of the trailer is slightly off level from that, it isn't as big a deal.

10. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Our pup doesn't have a fridge, so I generally just use a level app on my cell phone, & set it on the hitch or roof, seems to work OK for us. Down side of using the roof is I generally forget to take my phone off the roof, it ends up going up when I pop it up, then I spend a half hour looking for my phone....LOL. Yes, I suffer from CRS:confused:

MyName and kcsa75 like this.
  11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I had to laugh last year, on one of my solo trips. I had the TT leveled, using my old-school t-level and Lynx blocks. Just as I was finishing, one of the camp hosts came along and was going to help me by using the level app on his phone. Much to his (seeming) surprise, I had it correct.

12. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

Don't use the roof to level

13. justwork

justwork Active Member

I just eyeball it.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. Fless

Fless Active Member

This is the most accurate way. As @Toedtoes says, use the level inside the fridge if you have one, or level on the inside floor. Now that your camper is level, attach external levels to match the calibrated level side-to-side and front-to-back. Done.

Or use your smartphone and a bubble level app on the floor, but that may take a lot of in-and-out movement to get it right. Some people use the levels that have audible tones when it gets to the point of level.
    _

15. MyName

MyName Active Member

Thank you everyone. I will use my new T level in my fridge to to verify my trailer is level and then find a good spot outside. I will also remove my semi-permanent roof top levels.