How Do You Make Coffee (The Juice Of Life)

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by Econ, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Depends. My favourite coffee is fresh ground through an Italian Bialetti Moka Pot, but for convenience, I love my little Nespresso machine.

2. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

I do like the Moka pot for coffee. I might buy a big one, like 20 oz or so and try it out camping. But they are about $50.....

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  3. Eric Webber

They always have them cheap at places like Winners, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, etc. Should be 20 bucks at most.

I picked mine up for about 50, but only because I wanted an induction compatible version (home stove is induction)

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  4. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

Thanks--I'll check those places out.

5. Groomporter

Groomporter Well-Known Member

We have a percolator we use on the propane stove with a light roast coffee, and add just a little sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice to the grounds.
    We've used the coffee singles that you steep like tea to make a cup at a time for when we didn't want a full pot, but never really cared for the results. So we ordered some empty tea bags on Amazon and have been planning on experimenting with making our own using the lighter roast coffee we prefer. We've got a coffee grinder so we might see if a finer grind works better in our home made coffee singles.

6. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Well-Known Member

Sounds like my brother in laws drinks, about 30 oz.

7. Susan Premo

We do it a little bit different, we heat the water, add the coffee grounds then you pump it with your arm, as you lift, then let go a bit with sort of a clunk, down a bit harder, idk if that makes sense, my dh got it from an outdoorsman, Mors Kohenski, not sure of the spelling. He was on YouTube, lots of outdoor educational videos.

8. Eric Webber

French press style, basically?

9. Susan Premo

Well, you only use a coffee pot, water and grounds, then you go up with your arm into the air, and as you come down you sort of do a stop fast at the bottom, like a nighthawk, you know? They make that sound right when they dive down in the air. But not too fast because you could slosh hot water on yourself. Give a Mors Kochanski a try, he's from your neck of the woods. Illuminating information. Lots of great ideas, he's the guy that came up with super shelter.

10. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

My brother and Nephews are into all that Columbian and Gautamalan and Cream Brule stuff.
    When they start talking coffee my head explodes and I have to walk away.
    I prefer a Mountain Dew but once in awhile I will do a coffee but I cant tell the difference
    from one to another.
    It must be a acquired taste?

Susan Premo likes this.
  11. Eric Webber

A bit. It’s kind of like wine or beer. There is a common flavour, but once you start getting into it, you can really pick up nuances in the roast, the beans, the grind, the water temps, and a million other factors.
    But, if you’re going to add enough milk and sugar to make it drinkable, those same nuances are mostly overwhelmed.
    I can’t stand Starbucks coffee - it tastes burnt and over-extracted to me. I’m happier with a pot of Folgers from a diner. But I love a real espresso when it’s done right. Seems sweet despite no added sugar.
    Kind of like how a square of good quality dark Chocolate can seem so rich and flavourful, but you can still enjoy a Hershey

Bowman3d and Susan Premo like this.
  12. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I am a rookiew
    I use sugar and cream...I am a rookie.

Susan Premo likes this.
  13. Chad Bonnema

Chad Bonnema Member

Eric, you must be my long lost brother! I have always thought that about Starbucks coffee...and to pay $5/cup for that burnt taste, no thanks! I have roasted my own coffee for years and know what I like...dark and burnt isn't it.

To put in my vote on the thread, I use a Keurig when there is electric and a french press when boondocking. Both give me a simple and delicious cup of coffee!

Eric Webber likes this.
  14. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Exactly how I feel about Starbucks. Pam and I prefer going to Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf when we go out for coffee. In fact I prefer Macdonalds and Wendy’s coffee over Starbucks.

Susan Premo likes this.
  15. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Susan my job requires me to drive around the county rds at the high speed of 5 mph 10hrs a day. I need coffee to keep me awake, lots of coffee.

Susan Premo likes this.
  16. Susan Premo

Geez, that sounds really rough, that's a tough speed to drive, that's the speed limit on the road into state parks, and such, actually I think its 15 mph. I'd need an awful lot of coffee too!!

17. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We never-ever go out for coffee, unless traveling. Having said that, we think Starboys Americano is pretty darn good. [A]

18. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I'm back after dealing with this issue, and wanted to let everyone know my conundrum, and my solution.

The problem.
    My wife doesn't drink coffee, at least not very often. And as such a full pot of coffee goes to waste if just for me. I do not drink cheap coffee so this adds up somewhat quickly. And honestly the Coleman Drip coffee maker, while very nice and sort of idiot proof until they develop a new and improved idiot, it is a little on the bulky side. So I ONLY use it now for trips where we have more coffee drinkers. My wife bought it for me when we were in a camping club that hasn't met in years but it got a LOT of use then... So please understand, for multiple coffee drinkers, with no electricity, I honestly don't think the Coleman Stove Top Coffee Maker can be beat. Hands down it makes coffee as good, or better than a home drip coffee maker.

Anyway, so I originally started out with a Texsport 9 cup stainless steel percolator. I have since replaced THAT with what is effectively a larger version of the same thing, an Ozark Trail 12 cup stainless steel percolator. It has not yet, nor will it likely ever see coffee grounds in it while I own it. Instead it is simply a water boiler with a view port.

The percolator top is being replaced this week with a FitzAll glass percolator knob from Ace Hardware. The idea is while yes I know the pour over brewer has plastic in it, I am trying actively to get plastic away from anything that touches hot food or drink due to offgassing and potential health effects. Say what you will, it's my health, my concern and I am not comfortable with plastics.

Anyway, for NOW I am using the GSI Ultralight Java Drip pour over brewer. I am ACTIVELY in the market for a good stainless steel pour over brewer BUT It must be adjustable, or have a base large enough to work with the large stainless steel insulated tumblers as I make one of those for my day...

The remainder of the boiled water goes to my wifes hot tea, or chocolate, and instant oatmeal for breakfast. Combine that with some fruit and a fried egg and we are done cooking for the morning.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    neighbormike and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  19. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Try this one time before criticizing. The night before put a half gallon of water (std decanter amount) in a pot and set on interior stove. 10 minutes before getting out of bed reach over and light the fire. a couple minutes before it boils add between a quarter to a half cup of grounds. Boil for a couple minutes. Strain into cup. Not bitter.

20. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

2021-03-Mar-14 Coffee time.jpg

PaThacker likes this.