How Do You Make Coffee (The Juice Of Life)

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by Econ, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Groomporter

Groomporter Well-Known Member

On a related note, where do you prefer to stop for coffee on the road when you can't make it yourself? I had a friend who was a trucker for a while and he seemed to thing Quiktrip was the best truck stop coffee.

2. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Depends on whether I "need" coffee or "want" coffee.

If I need a coffee, anything will do. If I want one, I will stop at a Starbucks - not because I like it, but because its the only place I can get an espresso style coffee (not their various liquid candy bars)

I don't actually much like their coffee, but I really dislike most drip coffee. Several Hour old Gas Station drip is just because I'm desperate

Arlyn Aronson and Groomporter like this.
  3. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Quickchek perhaps. Pilot is usually reliable if not a bit sketch from the usual clientle.

I've been carrying around portable backpacking stoves in my car and instant coffee. When I need coffee I also be usually need a stretch and walk anyhow

kcsa75 likes this.
  4. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

My cup plus my thermos holds a pot of coffee premixed with a little creamer. By the time that's gone I am usually done driving for the day.

BBQdave and J Starsky like this.
  5. BBQdave

BBQdave Well-Known Member

If I find myself in a situation of back to back travel days, McD's coffee and egg McMuffin are hard to beat :)

J Starsky likes this.
  6. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Of the fast food chains McD seems to have the most consistently good coffee. Never great, but also never horrible. If I see a local shop I'll stop over any other chain.

My wife and I are both teachers and we'll stop at Starbucks until the gift cards run out. Without Amazon and Starbucks parents wouldn't know what to buy their kid's teachers anymore.

Hario V60 and fresh ground beans from Quantum Coffee Roasters in San Antonio is my usual go to cup. Now that my TV has a generator I'll grind my own every day. Before that I would grind before going.

7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Our son works for Royal Cup Coffee, a supplier of coffee to hotels, restaurants, etc. For Christmas he gave us a case -- probably 250 -- single packs. Each pack makes a pot of coffee. We shared with the other kids, but we still have enough to make a pot every morning until spring or early summer.

8. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We think Starbucks americano's are reasonably good. While traveling we'll stop there and get them. Where we live, there is no starB's.

9. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I would rather go without than drink Starbucks any more. Just overpriced liquid candy bars, or bitter over roasted dark roasts that will aggravate GERD. No thanks.

If I can't brew my own, I typically will look for a McDonalds as they tend to be consistently good enough. Not fantastic, not bad, and will yank the eyelids up.

IF I am travelling in the Pacific Northwest I will seek out a Dutch Bros.

In Texas, I will seek out a Buccees.

Eric Webber likes this.
  10. Cat Skinner

Cat Skinner New Member

I've had a Coleman propane drip coffee maker for several years but always used a Mr. Coffee. I tried it this past week just to see how it worked and it made great coffee. I will be using it this season when I hit the boonies.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  11. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Why just for the Boonies? Not all the time camping.

12. Cat Skinner

Cat Skinner New Member

It doesn't fit on my camper stove so I have to use another small separate stove. I've never boondocked and always had electricity before. The Mr. Coffee was a little less trouble.

13. popup-flyer

popup-flyer Active Member

I have the Coleman Drop coffee maker that has its own propane burner. I did put a piece of wood under it to keep the heat from damaging the counter surface if using inside.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Quik...ocphy=9027902&hvtargid=pla-310770780600&psc=1

I did recently switch to this tiny Keurig style. In the end its just WAY faster and easier when you have power.

https://www.amazon.com/Chefman-InstaCoffee-Max-Single-Serve-Flavorful/dp/B09NRYX5K7/ref=sr_1_63?crid=E4R0KFBI4YZS&keywords=kuregic+coffee+maker&qid=1642607174&sprefix=kuregic+coffe+make,aps,93&sr=8-63

It comes with a mesh screen pod you can put your own grounds in.

I find the older I get the less I want to have to hassle with things... and Im not really that old yet.

14. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Well-Known Member

We boil water on the camp stove, add grounds, wait about 5 minutes until they go to the bottom of the pot, add honey and chaga, friend told us about this. It's the best coffee we've ever had.