How do you make coffee?

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by jinxiepie, May 2, 2014.

1. jinxiepie

jinxiepie New Member

DH and I are debating on changing the morning coffee routine. Currently, we have a "5-cup" stainless steel french press. It does not make 5 cups coffee it makes 2 mugs of coffee. DH easily drinks 2 and so do I, and we hate gaving to boil the kettle twice on the camp stove or fire, it takes awhile. Our problem is that the french press makes such a small amount, and is slow going. I have yet to see a bigger french press that isn't glass. We plan to boondock quite a bit this year, and we have at least one trip planned in which we are taking the inlaws with us, so I would like to make larger quantity of coffee relatively quickly on the propane stove. DH is used to making Russian coffee (grounds in a pot on the morning fire) but I can't drink it, it is so gross with grounds floating in it. I also have tried an old-school aluminum percolator pot (was my grandmothers) and the coffee came out tasting really tin-ney, so I think aluminum pots are probably not good for making coffee. I am not wanting to buy the fancy $100 coleman propane coffe makers either. At home I use a french press, and DH programs a drip pot. He loves the drip pot, just stumbles into the kitchen half-asleep, dumps coffee in a filter that shuffles off to the shower. I know he would like the same routine camping.

I have looked online and cannot seem to find stainless steel stovetop percolators. I have seen a retro pyrex glass one on craigslist, but am not sure I like the idea of anything glass when camping.

How do y'all make coffee? How is the coffee in an enamel coated percolator, is it any better? I've seen this one from coleman

http://www.coleman.com/product/14-cup-coffee-percolator/2000008358?contextCategory=5180#.U2RNcVcvCSo

2. jinxiepie

jinxiepie New Member

My mother had a Polly Perk, it was a plastic, electric percolator, I remember the coffee tasting normal. Wonder if those are still sold today? I may have to hit the garage sales to see what I can find. Plastic would be as good as metal for camping, and I'm pretty sure that the electrical outlets would work off the deep cycle battery.

[​IMG]

3. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

That Polly perk is prolly pretty good. Sadly, your electrical outlets are not energized when running off the 12 volt battery. And, as I have learned, you have to have a 1000 watt plus inverter to run most coffee makers. And if you don't have more than one 12 volt battery, that kind of load will hammer the battery in no time flat from an inverter.

I'll be watching this thread though, curious as to what shakes out...

4. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Just a simple REI coffee press mug which is not sold anymore. They have fancier and mor expensive ones now.

5. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

I use a Coleman stove top drip coffee maker when camping without power. One like this one. When camping with power I use a regular drip coffee maker that uses the same size filters. I'm not a big fan of having grounds in my cup either.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I don't drink coffee, but we have friends who use individual French press mugs. Here is a 48 oz FP:
    http://www.rei.com/product/820451/rei-table-top-french-coffee-press-48-fl-oz

They have a couple of sizes of these:
    http://www.rei.com/product/838194/gsi-outdoors-java-press-coffee-maker-50-fl-oz
    Our friends' ones are earlier/similar versions.

Check here, they have perkers in several sizes:
    http://www.rei.com/product/838194/gsi-outdoors-java-press-coffee-maker-50-fl-oz
    We use a medium size that had the perking basket, but removed that and the (broken) glass knob, for tea and other hot water needs.

7. HiFiDave

Hey Dave (nice name by the way LOL) On that Coleman...what if any are the drawbacks if you could say? Does it take long to brew? Or ?

8. bfahs

bfahs Member

We have an REI percolator, but lately we've been using the Starbucks single instant coffee.

9. HiFiDave

That's what we use, it's totally not bad at all and easy breezy...would rather drip though if I could while boon docking. Curious about that Coleman Dave has but heard it takes a long time and time is something I don't have when I need coffee LOL

10. jinxiepie

jinxiepie New Member

ah, crap. We've always had electrical at most sites. I really like the french press, just it doesn't make much. I had a plunger mug, but in less than a year, the plastic warped and it wouldnt plunge anymore. waste of $30. I'm interested to hear more about the coleman propane drip coffee makers and the enamel coated metal perkers.

11. mncricket

mncricket New Member

Single cup at a time with my keurig. Also good for water for tea, hot cocoa, and Apple cider.

12. JJustus5

JJustus5 Member

I think the press makes the best cup of coffee Ive ever had. We were just camping this week and I broke our all glass press in the trailer. I ran out to walmart and they had a mr coffee press that was glass but was semi protected by metal for $20 so I couldn't beat the price. I tried a stainless steel percolator but I was getting a lot of grounds in the coffee so I bought the paper disks hoping that would eliminate the grounds but no go. Besides the taste of perc coffee compared to press isn't as good. We like to drink more coffee than the 8 cup press produces also so what I do is boil all my water fill the press poor our first mug of coffee then put a couple more table spoons in the press and repress more coffee using the same grounds from the first pressing.

13. bildoo

bildoo New Member

I use the enamel coated percolator. It make ok coffee, not great. I have not noticed a funny taste. But then I am usually pouring my coffee into the same thermos mug I was drinking whiskey out of the night prior. Also I usually buy Folgers Classic Roast. So nothing special. One problem I tend to have is since my Coleman stove is like a million btu and it boils the water really fast. If I over boil it by not paying attention I get a lot of grounds in the coffee. I did hear somewhere that I could buy filters for it but I have never looked for them.

14. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I've used my Cabela's percolator for years and love it! To Billdo: hi neighbor! And you can get the filters at pick/ copps - pretty much anywhere....

15. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

French Press all the way, Mmmmm

16. AnnaandJim

AnnaandJim New Member

After breaking several glass ones, I use a Stainless Steel french press similar to this. http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-34-Ounce-Insulated-Stainless-Steel-Gourmet/dp/B00004S1DB/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1399099991&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=stainless+steel+french+press

Over the years, I have become a coffee making gadget collector. Everything from the instant to mochas out of a very expensive machine. In my humble opinion, the french press makes the best cup. Yes, its a bit of work and doesn't make much, but I love the process. I have a little alcohol stove that I enjoy using - its silent, not like some small camping stoves that sound like a jet flying overhead. What a great way to start the day, waiting, thinking, observing everything around me, and the finished product is a great cup of coffee. I understand your want for a better way, but I think you're on the right track. The french press wins.

17. Ridge-Runner

Ridge-Runner New Member

[​IMG]
    This is what I'm drinking my coffee from right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '02 Chevy Suburban
    '99 Coleman Westlake

18. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

I have a stainless steel percolator that we bought about 15 years ago when we got our first pup. It works great for me as DW doesn't drink coffee. The coffee tastes fine but what I really like about it is the coffee aroma that envelopes the camp site when I use it. So much more so than a drip coffee maker.

19. TCwheels

TCwheels "All who wander are not lost..."

Grind up Cafe Verona beans in small stainless hand grinder, boil water on outside stove, press in 1.5 cup plastic protected glass French press. It's the camping version of morning routine at home but without power. These are all DW activities, I don't drink coffee.

20. ripopuptwins

ripopuptwins It's All Good

How far is Dunkin?