How do you make coffee?

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by jinxiepie, May 2, 2014.

1. Macshane

Macshane New Member

Keurig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Well-Known Member

We use a stainless steel Nissan thermos with a cone filter holder that fits over the top. Pre-measure the water in the thermos, pour into a teapot, and boil. Put the paper filter in the filter holder, add ground coffee (we like Starbucks), and pour in boiling water, a filter full at a time, adding more as it drains into the thermos. This is the BEST coffee, and it stays hot in the thermos.

We used this method all the years we tent camped, and continue to use it in the pup. :)

3. PNWFam

PNWFam New Member

I am in love with my Areopress. It is sold for under $30 and makes wonderful ground free coffee, it basically makes espresso shots you add hot water to or say you want a mocha, just add cocoa. It is very versatile and takes up very little room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

5. CharlieTN-OtherHalf

CharlieTN-OtherHalf New Member

Starbucks Via all the way. Simple and quick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    1995 Coleman Stoney Creek
    2001 Nissan Xterra
    Rockin' Hubby
    2 Munchkins disguised as girls

6. bandc12

bandc12 New Member

We have the Coleman Drip coffee maker just like HiFiDave. My DH is the coffee drinker and he loves it. The one thing we noticed is you have to have the right kind of top on your stove. We use the Roadtrip grill and have to take the cast iron plates off and put it right on the flame. Otherwise heating up the cast iron AND the water take FOREVER!!!

7. froggie

froggie New Member

X2

8. backwoodsmama

backwoodsmama New Member

Just now starting to switch over to the Coleman stovetop drip coffeemaker from the standard percolator cowboy coffee. Seems to run fairly fast....looking forward to giving it a shot this weekend!

9. SteveM_CT

SteveM_CT Member

I posted this on another thread, so if you think you have read it before, you have and it's not deja vu:

Had to make several trips to Malaysia, and believe it or not, there's no decaf here (yea, I know - Decaf is for people who like peeing without the inconvenience of waking up).

If you ask for a decaf coffee, they make a demitasse cup of espresso, pour that into a coffee cup and fill the rest with water. This is derisively called an "Americano".

On one trip, I brought a bag of decaf and got one of these here:
    [​IMG]

Found you can get them on Amazon for $10:
    http://www.amazon.com/Hario-V60-Coffee-Plastic-Dripper/dp/B006IKMUIG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1400394924&sr=8-3&keywords=hario+v60

I make 16 oz cups with it, but it says it makes "1-4 cups".

I have a Coleman drip coffee maker, but it's way too slow, taking a half hour to make a pot. I'm looking at hot rodding it by adding a larger coil of copper tubing to the bottom.

Steve

10. Revelations

Revelations Enjoy the adventure!

Percolator over stove or campfire with PUP or TT if we have company. Otherwise we enjoy using a camping style French Coffee Press, made by GSI if i recall correctly. I use a smaller backpacking style coffee press for my Moto camping trips. Drip at home is the standard, but we may invest in a fancy coffee press someday. Nothing like a good cup of Joe to start the day.

11. Hogeyphenogey

Hogeyphenogey Member

We boil water and use a French press. I used to work at a coffee shop many years ago and picked it up back then. Supposedly it's one of the best ways to get the flavor from the coffee. It's small so it packs well, though mine is glass- not specifically for camping but it works great. Easy clean up as well. I have a small percolator that I use to just boil the water in since it's easier to pour from than a pot.

12. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Reporting back on the Coleman drip as requested...

Took it on our five day Memorial day camp out. Scroll down to flag

http://www.popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=7212bcea738fe3e32f9e64c24b6909d7&topic=98770.15

Happy to report that this Coleman is a bargain for the 40 bucks we dropped. We had no trouble with it working on the low pressure stove in the pup. It used the Yuban coffee we like to use at home and after a few runs to "season" it, we were thrilled! We found that we set it up the night before, wake up and spark the flame to it. By the time we finish rubbing our eyes, laying there some more why, it's ready for us and mmmmm mmmmm good. Just like every morning at home, perfect! May be a bit slower than the home drip brew but not by a lot. Kind of big and clunky sure, but for us, that's no problem. It stores in the truck bed tool box and when not in use during the day, we set it outside on the high pressure stove. All in all...no brainer for us.

P.S. I put a 4 x 4 steel plate on the other burner, turn the flame down real looooow and it keeps the plate hot enough for the coffee to stay warm for as long as we need to kill it off. For us, that's not long LOL

13. higginskatie

higginskatie Member

Keurig with hookups, french press without.

14. heathermax

heathermax New Member

I bring my Keurig.

15. E3 Junkie

E3 Junkie Greetings from Granada Hills, CA.

I posted this some time ago in another thread, so I thought it worth mentioning again when I saw the topic again.

Again I prefer the MyJo, because it is ultra convenient, and if I want to I can use ground coffee of my own choosing because it comes with the K-Cup adapter. The Aeropress is just like a french press in that it needs agitation, but where it differs is that it has a fliter paper that you press the liquid through instead of having the stainless steel mesh on the plunger as the french press does. Again, my choosing the MyJo has several merits. The convenience of K-Cups. The ease of clean up. (you'll have to rinse out at least some of the left over grounds in the Aeropress). With the MyJo, there's no real clean up. Some people pull the environmental card out when presenting different modes of coffee making, but the way I have it figured, is that there is always an environmental struggle between water usage and landfill space. I've made very good coffee with the MyJo, it even retains some of the oils in the beans, and takes less about 30 seconds to press the water through the K-Cup, and just a few seconds to swap out an old K-Cup for a new one. If you boil plenty of water, you're golden. You won't get the kind of french press results you're used to with either the MyJo or the Aeropress, as there is something to be said about that crema that floats to the top of a cup of french press coffee as it does with a good espresso. BTW, on the french press instructions, here is a link to no fail instructions for your french press. If it works for you, don't give it up.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/man-coffee-recipe.html

16. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

This what we use!
    Graduated from the 2-4 cup version.

17. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

DW isn't much of a coffee drinker but she will occasionally. We have a "single serving" french press we use. We just boil some water in a kettle, then use the french press to make a cup. Repeat as necessary... don't have to wait to reheat water since we're not actually heating it in the french press.

18. pixie16502

pixie16502 New Member

Gotta have our coffee!! :) We always used a camp percolator first over a fire, then a camp stove and then on our PUP's stove. We have now moved on to a 4 cup drip coffee maker we bought last year for $10 at a flea market near where we were camping. It is pretty much the only reason we "need" our generator [:D] We use it a bit for the camper lights at night sometimes as well. We are boondockers and while the old faithful method of using the camp percolator was ok, the results were spotty at best, despite my many efforts to read up on ways to improve the taste. I feel spoiled now to be able to easily brew our coffee, which we drink several times a day when we are camping [:D]
    I am interested in both the Coleman propane coffeemaker and the Coleman stove coffeemaker. I will have to do some more reading to see if either is a good fit for us.
    Now I am craving some coffee and it is 11:30 PM here LOL!!

19. GMD

GMD Member

We use a Stainless Steel Stovetop Coffee Percolator, Amazon about #35.00 nothing like a cup of coffee off a camp stove or fire...

20. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

Hooked up to 120 I use a 12 cup drip. When boondocking a 8 cup. There's nothing like a fresh cup of coffee on a chilly morning when camping. [8D] [PU] [PUT]