How do you picture people after they die

Discussion in 'Best Wishes/Remembrances for Loved Ones & Friends' started by Matt O, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

How or where do you picture the people that you knew who died? I don't mean just Heaven or Hell but what do you picture them doing? Sitting on a cloud with wings and a Halo?

I have been around death coming from a large family and even my Father passed away recently in March. Over the weekend my brothers friend passed away at 40. This is the first person that I know of to die in my "Tier" on a 3 tier picture. Tier 1 being Aunts, Uncles, people older than you. Tier 2 being people I knew personally and are my age. Tier 3 I don't even want to dwell on but people younger than me, children.

My bro's friends death has messed me up. He was my bro's friend but I still knew him as a kid. He treated me like a younger brother. I swam in his pool when our families got together. I remember him riding a bike, his first car, going to college, many many memories over 30 years that I can remember him. I talked with him. More than an Uncle or an Aunt conversation of How's School going, what do you plan to do when you grow up? I knew this guy and we talked.

I have had a picture of life after death in my mind for a long time. I had 10 Great Aunts and Uncles who grew up in a 3 bedroom house/apt. They all married so there was a total of 20 Great A and U's. I remember going to this house when I was younger with my grandparents. I always remember the A and U's sitting around the kitchen table. The men all drinking their coffee and the women buzzing around the kitchen cooking, getting stuff out of the fridge, putting food on the table. I always pictured that when one of them died they walked up the stairs to the house/apt. As the door opened all of the A and U's greeted them, moved over and pulled up a chair.

Since my Dad died in March I pictured him going to this kitchen for a visit. These A and U's are from my mom's side but I picture Dad stopping by. I hadn't really placed him anywhere yet but I know he doesn't belong around that table.

Since my Bro's friend died I want to picture him in my picture as well. But how? He belongs in his own families picture. Harry Potter just popped in my head with the dead witches and wizards being able to go from picture to picture, I like that thought to move them around.

I am begining to create this picture in my head of my parents 25th wedding anniversary at the local fire house. Many people were there. I am picturing my Dad sitting at the head table. My Grandparents are there bringing in the cake. My bro's friend is there setting up tables and chairs. They are getting ready for people to show up in my picture but they haven't arrived yet and it is still early. Hopefully nobody will show up early.

Thank you for allowing me to type this out, It has helped me to get "the picture" in my head started so that I can remember my loved ones. Hopefully it will be a long time before I add more to it.

How do you picture your loved ones? Do you have a picture like I do or am I weird?

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Your not weird.. I do sort of the same... I tend to group the people differently.. With the exception of a great great uncle who I never knew (but after doing some research on the C.E.F sent to WWI, I am begining to know him) I picture the others in groups ie: DW's grandfather, walking along with our DD and our (what would have been her dog) husky.. & All 4 of my grandparents along with my 2x great aunt (who my DS1 knows) sitting around a table (one of those late 40's early 50's style kitchen tables) with the men sipping O'keefe beer (in stubby bottles) while listening to an old (atwater-kent style) radio and the ladies drinking tea and playing cards.

About the only thing my "groups" share in common is they all have a more angelic heavenly body watching over them... my great great uncle, who died protecting them and freedom.. and yes he is attired in his battledress (as I picture it to be, which is 90% correct) with his rifle slung over his shoulder.

Sometimes on their birthdays or anniversaries if I'm too busy to raise a glass and say a small toast to them I'll just pass a message along to "their guardian" knowing that he'll pass it along....

Ok know I feel like I've walked through a graveyard on Halloween.....

3. ballard

ballard New Member

This past year I got re-acquainted with a child hood friend through facebook. We didn't do a lot of direct communication but he was using his face book account very actively and it was great to see all of his pictures and posts. Then suddenly I got a private message that was sent out in bulk from an old high school classmate saying this person had died of a heart attack. That was about six months ago. I was pretty much in shock. He was only 45 years old. He wasnt someone who was a best friend or anything. Growing up he was a few years older but he was my neighbor and a group of us in the neighborhood always hung out together. Previous to meeting up with him on facebook, I hadn't seen him in bout 25 years. So it wasnt so much the immediate loss that was on my mind but instead I found myself doing a lot of reflecting back and contemplating life as a whole. I think the fact that I have young children, it makes me really contemplate stuff like this.

4. Twisty

Twisty New Member

My Dad's Dad was a carpenter and lost (cut off) parts of the fingers on his right hand. He always lit his cigs with paper matches, with his right hand. Us Grandkids - 2 to 6 of us at a time - would always run over to him when he tried to light up and blow out the matches. It was a huge game for us! He couldn't do it quickly, or at least he didn't try to do it quickly... He would turn, move around and up and down trying to cover the match to catch a little flame!
    That is how I see him, surrounded by kids, trying to light a smoke and all of them laughing and jumping around, pushing and shoving trying to blow out that match!

GrandMom (my Mom's Mom) gives me pennies. I see her in a chair for some reason. It is a chair that I have never seen.

Try reading "Conversations With God" by Neal Donald Walsh. I connected with it.

Have you seen the movie "What Dreams May Come" with Robin Williams?
    In Neals' book, God tells Neal that that movie is the closest description of what really happens after someone passes.

As I sit here picturing relatives who have passed, I see them doing what I last knew of them doing.

Uncle Joe is hunting in Alaska
    Aunt Mona is baking
    GrandPaul is enjoying a fine glass of wine
    Unkie is fishing at Promentory Park while his wife, Marie, boils hot dogs and heats up baked beans for lunch
    Aunt Arlene is taking pictures somewhere and her daughter, Jolene, is with her

5. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

There are many other forums that discuss these topics better than the forums on "Popup Camping". Send me a Private Message (PM) to discuss offline if you have interest.

6. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

RIP Mike.

They laid him to rest today.

7. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only its form can be changed.
    He is not gone, he changed form. [;)]

No matter what thoughts or opinions anyone carries with them, you cannot deny physics.

8. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

I suppose one day we will all know for sure ... when it's our turn.

9. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Once again, I agree with Fly.