How do you transport your dog?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by CarNutCass, Sep 9, 2011.

1. samtgrizz

samtgrizz New Member

We have a car harness for our golden retriever. He is always in it anytime he is in the car. The seat belt in the back seat goes through it and keeps him secure. He knows when we take it out, he gets to come in the car.

2. azbirddog42

azbirddog42 Bullhead City, Arizona

We have a 2006 Nissan frontier Crew cab. Sheba rides in the back seat and rests
    her head on the center console on a pillow. At a 110 lbs she can actually sit where ever she wants too.. [LOL] [LOL] Just kidding, she is very good in the truck and she loves camping anytime of the year..

[​IMG]

3. jash1178

jash1178 You can't fix stupid!

A pup in the cab of the truck??????I usually just tow mine. [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]. Sorry, I just could not resist....... [LOL] [LOL]

4. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

Doesn't it take a long time to get to your destination towing your pup?

National Lampoon's Vacation - Dog Tied To Bumper.flv

OK, I know it's sick humor - but someone had to. [:O] [:(]

Chip

5. jash1178

jash1178 You can't fix stupid!

[LOL] [LOL]

6. jmcdtucson

jmcdtucson New Member

Our dog is crate trained, and she's perfectly content to be crated for a trip.

7. Manper

Manper New Member

our pups are usually in the back seat with the boys (sometimes they are on the seat and other times they are under the seats but when they feel the bumps of the dirt road they know we have arrived! They go bonkers and are all over everyone :)

8. Sharpie

Sharpie Member

He likes driving with me in the Dog Kennel.lol He is the happiest in his kennel.

9. jhowe327

jhowe327 New Member

Between the front seats of our Bronco, instead of a console we have a low platform with padding and carpeting just high enough that our lab can see out the window.
    Her harness tether goes to one of the mounting bolts of the removed rear seat.

10. papachaz

papachaz New Member

shhhhh, our cocker spaniel thinks she's a person. she'd be insulted to find out she's really a dog, but she usually has the whole back seat of the blazer to herself. until we stop for any reason and i get out, only to find her in the drivers seat when i get back. one of these days i'm gonna teach her to drive and back the trailer in.....

[LOL] [:)C]

11. ecupcar

ecupcar New Member

Pickup with a cap. Duncan the yellow lab wonder dog gets as much room back there as I can spare to slobber all over the windows!

12. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Captain Jack the mighty ShiChi sits in between DD2 and DS2 in the back seat.

13. FL_Bill

FL_Bill I'm cooking something yummy!

Daisy Girl rides in the very back (1998 GMC Yukon 4x4) in a small area I leave open for her on a thick bed. She normally just lays back there but once in a while I will catch her staring out the window.

Like Manper said, when we hit the camp ground and start checking in she get very excited.

Here is a warning for everyone. One time we stopped for gas and kids had to use the bathroom. So I had a few mins to kill so I took her out for a quick walk. Well when I was putting her back in she did not want to jump up to the seat. She is a 9 year old 90+ pound American Bulldog. After trying to convince her to jump for a few seconds I bent down over her to help pick her up and at the same time she tried to jump. 90+ ##$%!! pounds of mass slammed into my face and split my lower lip a good half inch! I saw stars! Blood was running down my face and people were all in shock when I said my dog did it.

Eating that night was interesting. Almost 6 months later and I am left with gripping fear every time I go to put her in the car! (and a scared lip, which is still a little fat!) LOL Now I place a hand on her head when I lean over her so she knows I am there.

I would still never leave her behind. She is so good while we camp. Everyone always comes and says hi to her and she never barks or cries. And when we do an outing she goes in the pup and people tell us she was quiet the whole time. (Of course I turn the air on for her and some music. Just for white noise.)

FL Bill

14. Tofer76

Tofer76 New Member

crates wont work for our shih-tzu's ever since they were weend they would have panic attacks and pee ,poop, lick their fur out ect.
    they love riding in the envoy and will ride w the DW on her lap and in the 2nd row w the kids
    our big dog will ride in the bed of our truck fine and will even stay there for 30 min or so if i tell him while i run into the store but ive trained him for years
    our auto ins. has a free pet ins. policy for been in car accid. ever checked on that?

15. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

At one time I had 4 Yorkies and a very large Himalayan cat. They all traveled in kennels with seat belt attachments. That was the safe way to keep them safe. All my animals were trained that their kennel was their home. I am down to 1 little Yorkie, the rest of the group has passed on. [:!] She still sleeps at night in her kennel and also stays in it at home when I have to run errands. And ya she's a spoiled daddy's girl. [8D]

16. Troutfishing

Troutfishing Member

DW uses a wicker basket with straps to hold basket at window level for our maltese shih tzu mix(Eddie) the Boss.

17. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

Our dog almost always rides in his crate in the back of the Nissan. Contrary to what some people might think, most dogs are actually more comfortable in a crate for travel like this, and it is safer. Shiloh typically curls up in his crate, and relaxes for the ride. We make frequent stops for "walkies," and during the warmer weather, position a small 12 vdc fan to keep sufficient airflow to the crate so that the temperature in the back of the SUV stays comfortable for him.

In the event of an accident or mishap, a loose dog in the vehicle may be thrown about, injuring either the dog, a person, or both. The dog may be stressed during even a minor accident, and a loose dog is more likely to bolt from the vehicle and run off when the door is opened. I don't think I need to elaborate on the dangers to a frightened dog running loose anywhere near a highway. A good crate is one of the best ways to help keep your dog safe during travels, and if the dog is introduced to the crate early (and not as "punishment" for anything), the dog will quickly view the crate more as a "den," rather than as confinement.

18. freenaz

freenaz Member

Shiloh is a great, well mannered dog. It was nice spending the weekend him and his parents earlier this month.
    Nalla rides in the back seat we should get a harness but.......

Here she is waiting patiently for me.
    [​IMG]

19. Wildwoodflower77

Wildwoodflower77 Member

^I'm so glad you said that, saved me a lot of typing. [LOL]

Having him in the HTT would be illegal in Florida as would be having him free in the back of the truck. If there's no room up front and the Suburban isn't an option, a crate is best. I work with rescue groups and we transport as a last resort that way. Anyway, congrats on the new addition. He's very cute and I too am sure you'll figure it out. [8D]

20. itfchaos

itfchaos New Member

For those on this topic saying your dog gets car sick, they make pills for that, contact your vet. They work great and we have transported 100's of dogs (rescue).