How do you transport your kayak(s)?

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by Garrity, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Garrity

Garrity Member

Recently picked up a truck and am curious of what you all use to transport your kayaks while towing? I really don't want to buy a ladder rack, as I would have no use for it outside of our camping trips. Looking for something secure, but easily removable. I tooled around Google, but was hoping the PUP crowd could help out better. Thanks!

2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Garrity likes this.
  3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I kept my yaks on the top of the pup. When I had to carry four, two went on the pup and two went in the bed of the truck. They sat on top of the closed tailgate, so they never interfered with the camper.

4. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

I have a full setup of Yakima gear that’s been on several vehicles. Safe, secure, and easily removable. You can find them relatively cheap used and then just get the right clips to fit your vehicle.

9C361CD0-21FF-444B-BB0C-3878D8AE82DA.jpeg C384128F-3161-477A-BEC2-B7351D8C6360.jpeg

I also have/had stuff to use the racks on my Prius and former Civic.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Rik Peery, Garrity and neighbormike like this.
  5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I bought a ladder rack from HF, the top parts stay in the shop until I need to use it. I have hauled yaks and canoes as well as long joints of pvc pipe etc.

Garrity likes this.
  6. Garrity

Garrity Member

I think that may be the setup I need. I forgot to mention that I also want to add a tonneau cover for the bed. I hate having my stuff exposed.

7. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

An actual cap on the truck would be a nice spot for a rack system. (We don't have a cap because we sometimes use a truck camper. For a really easy on-off tonneau cover, the Extang Trifecta has been pretty good for us.)

We've done the clippy Yakima roof rack on our truck for our canoe paired with a the rear receiver mounted crossbar and it worked okay, but that won't work with a trailer unless I put in a front receiver and mount it on the front. I might have to do that.... Kayaks are short enough to just do roof I think.

Garrity and neighbormike like this.
  8. Garrity

Garrity Member

Bump to see what others are using.

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I just take the inflatable one, not as good or sturdy, but will work for a relaxed trip arounfd the lake. Bonous is its easy to take with you.

10. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

I use Yakima racks mounted to the truck cab. They are easily removable but not so easy to replace. I marked the the inside of the door frame with a sharpey so that they don't have to be readjusted every time.

I use a Flipbak tonneau on the bed. It mounts between the bed rails and leaves the stake pockets open if you want to add a bed rack. It has a drainage system built into the mounting rails so I don't have to worry about stuff in the bed getting wet.