How do you use/repurpose the other bed when you only travel as a couple

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Tkchris, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Tkchris

Tkchris New Member

Hi. I’m new to the group and posted this first in the bed/bunk section but I think this is a more appropriate spot

I’d love to hear/see any ideas you might have. We will mainly be travelling as just the two of us and hate to waste all that extra space.

we do plan to move the mattress from the one side to our side to give us a thicker mattress while we are set up but wonder about how others use the extra space

Thanks so much for your ideas!

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

We keep our clothes, some toiletries and all of the wife's over packed bags of "stuff" on the unused bunk end.

NMroamer and Tkchris like this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Mine is used as storage. I dump everything on the back bunk and close the curtains. I keep stuff stored in my camper all the time for when I camp off grid (solar panel) or if I have to bring multiple dogs (dog crate) however all that stuff has to go somewhere if I’m not using it. When the kiddo or my mom camp with me the hard part is where to put the gear that doesn’t take up my couch or table.

Tkchris likes this.
  4. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Luggage. The interior storage is basically unused, because that extra bunk is there and easier to use.

5. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Yep camping with kids suitcases and gear were in truck. Trips without kids we could bring the clothes in and sit on the other bed.

6. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan New Member

Luggage.
    If it’s very humid or raining, we will also hang damp towels or clothes in that space.
    This summer, our adult daughter took some vacation time to travel and camp with us. She is small statured, and set up the bunk so she had plenty of space AND we could still use it for luggage.

7. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

Just the two of us now, too. We have two king size bunk ends, we sleep in the rear bunk "behind" the bathroom with a king size air mattress on top. The front bunk behind the couch is where we put all the kitty stuff. We have a rubber backed rug that we put on top of the mattress and the covered litter box, scratch board, kitty beds and carriers all fit on there. We even have room for our two backpacks with our clothes.

EmilyGhetto616 likes this.
  8. JT2

JT2 Member

Everybody's pretty much got it. In our former camper the unused twin bunk was "the attic", holding the odd milkcrate of gear or food, an extra suitcase, clothes that didn't get folded, etc. Once you get used to having that extra space it's really hard to go back to the intended use of somebody actually sleeping in the bunk!

HappyTraveler likes this.
  9. EmilyGhetto616

EmilyGhetto616 New Member

We call our extra bunk "the reading nook". I recently added a macrame curtain to give it a secluded feeling.

Attached Files:

10. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Active Member

No spare bunk for us, we have one each[SNZ]