How do you use/repurpose the other bed when you only travel as a couple

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Tkchris, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

So I have dual king bunks plus the dinette. My DW is not a fan of camping or the pup, so she does not come along. I mainly bought it for my son and I to use. In that sense we both have a bunk, and the dinette gets set up and put down throughout the day. We set it up for eating, and collapse it for watching movies or playing games together.

When I camp alone, I use the other bunk for gear storage. Not glamorous, but it makes a fine spot to toss duffels and clothes. Eventually I will get my portable projector tweaked and may have it set up as the “movie room” but haven’t fully decided on that yet. Still playing.

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

One thing a popup doesn't do nearly as well as a travel trailer is offer vertical hanging space. I solved that with our Santa Fe popup by hanging a rod across the width of the rear bed which would fold out of the way for travel.

[​IMG]

In front of that we hung a Coleman Camper Caddie, useful for storing shoes, slippers, etc.

[​IMG]

I also ran a length of rope back & forth across the width of the underside of the rear bed platform and used it for hanging / drying wet bathing suits, towels, etc.

[​IMG]

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

@GreyFox I miss having the clotheslines under the bunk on our popup. We really have not come up with a substitute for that with the TT.
    Our 17' TT is sorely lacking in hanging space - the half height closets aren't as handy as we thought they would be. We finally put shelves in mine, I got tired of the jackets etc. hanging into my shoes. We did add a rod across the cabin, mostly for a dividing curtain, where we can at least hang we outerwear when necessary. It's a pain to walk back and forth when things are hanging on it though, so as soon as things are dry, down they come.
    We used our extra bunk as a way to get things out of the way, without having to keep moving them as we changed from day time use to night time (in the first pup, there was one bed, so the clothing duffels got shifted morning and evening). In the TT, we're back to shifting some things, though the clothing duffels have been replaced by huge LL Bean totes, which stay under the bed. Since my husband doesn't use the aisle on his side of the bed when we're camping, some of the things we used to stash on the extra bunk (laundry bag/basket, totes of maps, etc.) end up in that aisle.

4. GreyFox

5. GreyFox

In our KZ Spree I added a removable hanging rod over the tub and found it really useful, especially for drying out wet jackets, etc.

[​IMG]

6. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ Gold Supporting Member

When we travel by ourselves (DW and I) the other bunk is basically where our luggage goes and some other stuff.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

That's the thing I plan to do if we ever find our unicorn of a travel trailer and it has a tub.

8. DJWhite

DJWhite New Member

Like others, we stack mattresses then use for storage; but also where we keep the dogs food/water. Got tired of kicking his water over. As he ages, may have to get a storage step to help him up.

9. LaramieLovers

LaramieLovers New Member

We each take one, too. The Laramie has beds smaller than full-size, and crawling over the other person for late night “loo” visits wakes the other person up. We each take a bunk.

10. Puppylove

Puppylove Member

So happy to hear we're not alone in sleeping "separate but peaceful!" A good night sleep is golden.

bobinfleet and LaramieLovers like this.