How does my heater work?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Cynthia Powell, Sep 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Cynthia Powell

Cynthia Powell New Member

I've only owned my (new to me) pup and I've only had it for a month or so and I have no idea how to use the heater. This is my very first camper ever! Do I have to do something other than turn on the propane and set the temp on the thermostat? It's a 2001 Keystone Camplite.

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

The heater also requires electrical power Controls and blower motor are 12 volt supplied by your convertor and or battery

Cynthia Powell and bheff like this.
  3. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Oh and be sure to light the stove burners to clear the air from the system.

kitphantom and Cynthia Powell like this.
  4. Cynthia Powell

I don't mean to sound dumb but where would those controls be located?

5. Cynthia Powell

Thank you!

6. Rudy4536

Rudy4536 Member

Mine is a little newer then yours, on - off switch on the thermostat ( on top and hard to switch to on ). also on - off ( mine says reset ) behind the heater guard. both of those on and slide the temperature setting up.
    Good luck

7. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Cynthia, the typical forced air PU furnace is just that simple. Remove the furnace grill(e) to ensure the little switch is ON, turn the even smaller thermostat switch to ON and set the temperature.

When the thermostat calls for heat the fan begins to run for a short while to clear out the furnace and make sure the fan is blowing fast enough, a 'sail' switch inside the furnace closes if there is enough air flow, then the internal controls open the gas valve and attempt to light the propane (clicking can often be heard). If the propane lights you might hear a whosh as it lights and soon heat from the front of the furnace.

When the place warms up and the thermostat calls for no more heat the gas valve shuts and the fan continues to run for a short time to cool off the furnace.

The fan is 12v provided by the converter or a battery.

myride and Sjm9911 like this.