How does that happen? Axle came unbolted from frame...

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Angus1211, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Angus1211

Angus1211 New Member

A bit ago, I was taking a look at the wheel of my recently new to me PUP, and I noticed that the passenger side wheel looked a little ****-eyed in the wheel-well. So I started looking around and got under the PUP and saw that the large bolts connecting the axle to the frame we’re, well, gone!

1AAE9C52-8034-498B-A8E3-CC57AC9A61A0.jpeg 8B787EE6-88FB-4CA6-B931-C5A48FB51DA1.jpeg E364B237-2A19-47FD-98B0-F17C21579714.jpeg The axle was just bouncing around between the mounting brackets on the frame. Clean sliced the brakes wire. From looking at it, it only looks like 1 bolt was ever installed on this side... or the first one fell off long ago.

Luckily, I had only towed it about 50 miles while it was like this. I remember there being some crazy reverb (like when you have a back window down) but with the windows up.

Picked up new bolts and brake wire and got the axle bolted back in and the brake wire replaced. Also replaced the bolts on the other side as well just in case. Glad I did because one bolt on that side was not as tight as it should have been...

Well, disaster averted, especially on a trip with the family.

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Yikes! Hopefully the new bolt have some LocTite on them. Wow, that's freaky.

3. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

You are not the first, there is at least one other instance on the web - Slim Potatohead. The connection needs high-grade (Gr 8 at least) bolts that are torqued to a high level so its truly clamped in place. (BTW: thread locker is not a cure for a bad design)

TurboWagen likes this.
  4. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member Gold Supporting Member

Holy cow, that's the stuff of my nightmares! So glad you discovered it promptly.

5. bluespruce

bluespruce Member

Also, the grade 8 bolts are fine thread which are a little tougher to find. I think the fine thread doesn’t work loose as easy? I’m not sure. I just put a dexter axle lift on and the nuts were also crimped/compressed on one end to make one side a little oval/oblong. They were a bear to get on and once torqued I doubt they will come off easily.

6. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

You were lucky.

7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

How does it happen? Poor quality control at the manufacturer, churning out units as fast as they can, letting the dealer fix the stuff they or the customer catch.

Sweetpea and neighbormike like this.
  8. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

That thing doesn't look like the bolts have been in it in awhile.

9. Anthony Hitchings

did you notice the lack of sealant in between the lengths of weld. Aliner sealed these unwelded edges with a long lasting goop on my 2003 chassis, to prevent corrosion on adjacent unmaintainable surfaces

10. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

No need to be rude and call the guy slim potatohead.......LOL[:O]

Sweetpea likes this.
  11. carbonunit

carbonunit New Member

Good heavens. I am checking mine as soon as I pull it from it's winter cave. Sorry for your troubles but I appreciate the heads-up! Glad you caught it before an accident occurred.

Sweetpea likes this.
  12. Anthony Hitchings

Loctite is a poor approach. Get the right size and grade of bolt, and torque it up properly. Check it once in a while. All that Loctite does is make it a PITA when you need to take it off the next time. Loctite is also way overpriced. Loctite also gums up the threads on your fastener - interfering with getting the correct clamping force when you reinstall it to a specified torque.

13. WrkrBee

Depends on what color you use. Pink and blue is ok, but green (cylindrical locking) can be tough, but some heat will take care of it, too. I've seen latex paint and fingernail polish suggested, also.

zak99b5 and Sjm9911 like this.
  14. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Nail polish is an old trick. But if you have the corect lock washer or nut with that build in its not needed. Based on that my break nuts are the ones with the build in grip to secure them, the grip is worn off and the nuts are smooth, a pain to get off now. Lock washers for me when i install the new ones.

15. Anthony Hitchings

IMO lock washers are mickey mouse, real machinery does not use them. My guess is that they are used when the designer expects shade tree mechanics who do not own torque wrenches to work on stuff - like the old 2-stroke motor mowers.

Fish N Farm likes this.
  16. Sjm9911

So, what do you use? Its easy to poo poo something and not give a better alternative. Its not exactly machinery. It gets bounced around a lot. So, what say you?

xxxapache likes this.
  17. WrkrBee

About all of the equipment I assembled and maintained over 40 years had flat washers and lock or star washers. Aircraft (safety wired, also) to industrial manufacturing equipment.

xxxapache likes this.
  18. Sjm9911

Now im confused, i said lock washers and you said there not good......what am i missing? We must be on diffent pages.

19. WrkrBee

I was agreeing with you. Lock washers are an industry standard, for a reason. Not Mickey Mouse.

xxxapache and Sjm9911 like this.
  20. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I dont think it was factory quality. If you look at it. It looks like someone installed a lift kit. I think it was a previous owner that un-bolted the axle from the mount and installed the life kit and never tightened down the nuts after getting the axle in aligment.

PS, I would duplicate the other side nut bolts and washers.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021