How far can you tow a popup?

Inthepink721

Aug 23, 2014
This may sound like a crazy question but I have to ask. I am the non-camper that went camping 2 weekends ago and had a great time. I asked my hubbie about going to Lake George, NY, from NH (near the seacoast) - it's about a 3 hour drive. My hubbie ("THE" camper) said it was too far to take the PUP because it has small bearings and would heat up. He's afraid of a breakdown. I don't get it?? Isn't that why we have this PUP?? So we can travel. Any feedback would be most appreciated. This is my first post so I think this info is at the bottom but just in case. We have a Coleman Fleetwood Westlake 199? and is towed by a 2006 Honda Ridgeline.
Thank you so much.
Janet

Heartman_wa

Super Active Member
Mar 5, 2006
Tacoma WA.
We towed our 1985 Coleman Redwood 8" tires from Tacoma, WA to Yellowstone then through the Grand Tetons about 2000 mile. People have towed those across the US. Grease the bearings make sure the tires are good lower your tow speed and GO FOR IT. It's completely doable.

Mosbyranger

Onward, thru the fog...
May 29, 2009
Western Colorado
You should be able to tow it as far as you want. Just make sure you have packed the bearings with nice fresh grease every 1500 miles or so, then it's time to roll.
MR

bearman512

Super Active Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albuquerque NM
Inthepink721 said:
This may sound like a crazy question but I have to ask. I am the non-camper that went camping 2 weekends ago and had a great time. I asked my hubbie about going to Lake George, NY, from NH (near the seacoast) - it's about a 3 hour drive. My hubbie ("THE" camper) said it was too far to take the PUP because it has small bearings and would heat up. He's afraid of a breakdown. I don't get it?? Isn't that why we have this PUP?? So we can travel. Any feedback would be most appreciated. This is my first post so I think this info is at the bottom but just in case. We have a Coleman Fleetwood Westlake 199? and is towed by a 2006 Honda Ridgeline.
Thank you so much.
Janet
I towed my last popup up to 10 hours from my home in NM to Northern Colorado.
Just insure you service the wheel bearing each year and get out there! [:D]

CaliforniaPoppy

California and beyond!
Dec 4, 2007
California Coast
Three hours is nothin'! If he's nervous about it, you can get an instant read thermometer and take readings at a meal break or restroom stop. After the first few trips, he'll mellow out.

swordfish

Super Active Member
Sep 27, 2010
Welcome!

We met a couple, Nancy and Dan, in a Connecticut rally in July. They came from california with their pup. I think that is far enough to set the record straight.

Just make sure to repack bearings every year and tires are in good shape (new tires every 5 years regardless).

Dubbya

Wherever you go, there you are...
Aug 2, 2011
Steinbach, MB
Yep, three hours is not a problem for a properly maintained pup. We dragged ours 9 hours down the road just this summer.

Those wheel bearings are almost the same size as you'd find in any small rear wheel drive pickup or car anyway.

Tell your hubby Dubbya called him a big chicken! *cluck, cluck, cluuuuck!* [LOL]

Morgan23

Feb 21, 2011
We did 1400 miles earlier this summer, and have another 500 miles or so to go in camping this year....never had a problem as long as we stay at a decent speed (we tow at 60-65 mph). The bearings are getting repacked this winter in preparation for next year.

I think you'll be fine...3 hours is nothing!

pjnlorrie

Feb 11, 2012
We roll from central Florida to the Rockies (Utah, Wyoming, Colorado) most years. That averages 5000-6000 miles per trip. I repack the wheel bearings each year and the wheel bearings have gone 4 trips + all the short runs since 2008. We purchased our camper used, so the total mileage on the bearings is unknown. Bearings for a typical popup cost ~$15-$20 per side and some folks replace them rather than inspect/repack. As mentions above, bearing condition can be (sorta) monitored between inspections by temperature during the trip. An infrared thermometer is great, I often just test the hub temps by touch whenever we stop (for gas, food, etc.). The hubs will be warm, but should not be too hot to touch. We also carry spare bearings/seals/grease in case the unexpected happens.

West Coast Canuck

Jumped to the dark side ......
Mar 3, 2005
Inthepink721 said:
Thank you so much.
Janet
As long as the bearings are serviced properly, it will not be an issue. Small tires or not..

fix_it

Aug 29, 2010
I take my trailer 1800 miles from KY to FL once a year. Grease the bearings once a year, or at most every two years. A three hr trip is nothing as long as the bearings are greased and adjusted properly. Also, make sure the tires are in good shape, not too old, and properly inflated. Most (nearly all) trailer tires are only rated to 65 MPH, so keep the speed under that. Have fun and don't worry so much.

barb_dave

Super Active Member
Jul 22, 2007
Wisconsin
A 3 hour trip is nothing to worry about. We've taken our camper to PA and back about a 2000 mile round trip. As others have said make sure the bearings are serviced and the tires our in good condition.

infamousdave

Jun 17, 2014
We routinely travel 4 hours to our destinations towing campers, boat trailers and utility trailers and have never had a problem. We are planning an 8 hour trip out to the Black Hills for next summer. As stated before, get the bearings serviced if you or your husband are not comfortable doing it yourselves and make sure the tires are good and go ave fun. Trailer tires will wear out long before the tread wears out so they need to be replaced periodically even though they may still look fine.

campfreak

Super Active Member
Jan 13, 2011
Sometimes I do wonder about those little wheels and tires, but people do pull them all over the place. I would probably keep the speed down to 60 mph or so, and I think I would be more concerned with the tires than the bearings. Not too many hidden flaws with bearings, but with tires, you never really know.

Inthepink721

Aug 23, 2014
Thank you everyone for your responses!! I will try to talk to hubbie. We just bought new tires so that's all good. And I understand about keeping the speed down. We'll see if I can convince him. I thought you could travel long distances with pop ups and appreciate everyone sharing your traveling experiences!!

sallugo

Super Active Member
Aug 6, 2014
Fort Worth TX
tombiasi said:
I was just reminded that Gilligan and the skipper went on a three hour tour and didn't have any problems.

Hilarious!!

2014 Flagstaff Mac 228d
2004 Ford Expedition 4x4 5.4L
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sallugo

Super Active Member
Aug 6, 2014
Fort Worth TX
We have done 2 trips in the last 5 weeks and put about 900 miles total. Each trip was about 4 1/2 - 5 hours...

2014 Flagstaff Mac 228d
2004 Ford Expedition 4x4 5.4L
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk