How far can you tow a popup?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Inthepink721, Sep 1, 2014.

1. gec66

gec66 Active Member

Ohio to San Diego and back no problem.

2. Ponyknite

Ponyknite New Member

Indeed Trips only afew hours away are generally just going to the lake and relax. Though longer vacation, then the pup becomes like a rolling cabin following the roads as far as you can imagine. If you have the time, even Alaska is reachable for a pup, just make sure you go up during the summer months.. When i was young we've been everywhere from Tucson, AZ, Brownsville, TX, Boston, MA, Orlando, FL, and Sheriden, MN from Dallas. I think we put more miles on the pup than the fifther.

3. pej

pej Member

We drove across Canada and back in 29 days with a Chevy Venture and our 2001 Palomino. The trip total was 13,100 Km (8,100 miles), driving 21 of the 29 days for an average of 625Km or 400 miles per day. Our trailer has 12" wheels so they complete more revolutions than 13" or 14". We had a flat on the second day and no other trouble after that.

2001 Palomino Pony 21 - 2011 Ford Escape
    headpond.ca/Palomino.html

4. Lathrop Bob

Lathrop Bob New Member

The only problem that I have ever had was with 12 inch tires. My '88 Starcraft had them. My first trip with it was a long haul up hwy 5 in Northern California. I was moving at about 75 and the temp was around 112. Being young, stupid and wanting to be at our camp as soon as possible I didn't even think about little tire, high heat and fool driver. I burned both tires off of that thing. Second trip I burned one tire. Father that I kept my speed at no more than 62 and never had another problem.

My new pup has 14 inch tires but it's been many moons since I've towed anything so now with age and wisdom I won't be in much of a hurry to get anywhere.

5. Mat Solo

Mat Solo New Member

We just went from Houston Texas to gatlinburg Tennessee in March had no problems. And as a kid my parents towed their pup from San Francisco Bay Area to rapid city South Dakota and back

I named the dog Indiana

6. superbee73

superbee73 New Member

Minneapolis to the Black Hills to Yellowstone and back has been my longest trip. No problems. Three hour trips are very common for us. Keep good tires inflated correctly and pack bearings each year.

7. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Well-Known Member

June-October 2014: round trip from Southern CA to the East Coast and back with the pup - 12,200 miles; 21 states; 58 days camping; plus time spent with friends and family along with some overnight hotel stays. I'm working on the trip journal and choosing photos to post here on the Portal. It was an EPIC trip!

8. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

I can't tow it that far, I want to stop and camp after a while in the truck.

Our longest was a 6 hour drive to the destination. Had no concerns about the pup really, I had just re-done the bearings the weekend prior in anticipation of the long trip, and was not sure the last time they had been serviced by the previous owner. Did a quick drive around town to road-test my work ahead of departure time, as a precaution.

As much as we would like to attempt a long trip, unfortunately work schedules usually limit our opportunities to go, and we're limited to a weekend here or there. Would prefer to spend less time on the road and more time at a site somewhere. Our usual trips are 2 hours or under, so far.

9. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Well-Known Member

We discovered the best method for us was to set up and camp anywhere from 4-8 days. That allowed us to relax and explore the area. On set-up days we drove 4-5 hours, and on take down days about the same. We took our time and really didn't have many firm dates where we had to be somewhere. That made all the difference. :)

10. Grizzly_Wayne

Grizzly_Wayne Member

When I was about 5 or 6, we rolled all the way from Tampa to Montreal, Canada in about 3 days, stopping every night. Travelled with the Florida StarCraft group, never had one issue. Stopped every time the big block Suburban needed some gas, and kept on motoring.
    Get out there!

11. davido

davido Well-Known Member

From my home:

Arches National Park: 4hrs
    Bryce National Park: 4.5hrs
    Zion National Park: 4.5 hrs.
    Yellowstone National Park: 5hrs.
    Capitol Reef National Park: 3.5hrs..
    Canyon Lands National Park: 3.5.
    Goblin Valley State Park: 3.5hrs.
    Grand Canyon, North Rim: 5hrs.
    Escalante / Grand Staircase National Monument: 4.5hrs.
    Cedar Breaks National Monument: 4.5hrs.
    Dinosaurland National Monument: 3.5hrs.

On the other hand:
    Spruces Campground: 20min.
    Tanner's Flat CG: 10min.
    Antelope Island State Park: 90min.
    Albion Basin CG: 20min.
    Wasatch State Park CG: 45min.

So while there are nice options for quick weekend getaways within a few minutes of home, it would be tragic to not take advantage of what we have within a 5-hour drive of home, as often as possible. :)

There are something like 42 state parks in Utah, and six national parks within a 5 hour drive of northern Utah (five of them in Utah). If I limit myself to, say, a 2-hour drive, there are still MANY state parks and national forest area campgrounds, but I would be missing out on many of the most interesting places the region has to offer.

12. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I towed my 96 coleman key west from Talladega, AL to Santa Claritia, California with no problem. I shouldn't have done this but I did something that shouldn't happen... I loaded my camper with stuff that was over the weight limit GVWR... towed camper over New Mexico mountains on I-40 and also Arizonia mountains... Went down on I-17 to Phoeniz for a few days then I-10 to LA, CA It was one way trip cauz I moved there. Never blew a tire... was well under 60 mph all the way. going down the mtns were terrible on my nerves!!!!! Good thing I have brake controller....

13. E3 Junkie

E3 Junkie Greetings from Granada Hills, CA.

As far as your TV gas tank will take you. (That's the short answer) Your husband should be reminded that the bearings in the spindles that allow the front wheels on the family sedan spin are the same bearings used in the pup hubs, a tapered roller bearing. As long as the bearings are in good shape, and well maintained, you can tow it as far as your maintenance schedule allows.