How far did you travel to get your pup?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Steve A, Sep 15, 2010.

Since I crossed nearly the entire state of NC E-W to TN to get a pup, I was wondering... How far did

1. 1-50 (.6-80km)

62 vote(s)
    43.4%
  2. 51-100 (81-161km)

33 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. 101-200 (162-322km)

22 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. 201-500 (323-805km)

15 vote(s)
    10.5%
  5. Greater than 501 miles (>807km)

11 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

We live west of the Atlanta area near the GA/AL line and is a good 65 miles to the downtown Atlanta area...we purchased ours from a dealership on the eastside of Atlanta so was about a 85 mile oneway trip for us.

2. cruising usa

cruising usa New Member

We found ours about 70 miles East of home on our way to visit DMIL for a family reunion on July 4 weekend. We stopped and looked it over. We stopped on Monday on our way home and made him a offer. I came back two days later to complete the paper work and pick up the camper, however I had wired my Ranger with the brake controller and a six pin instead of the 7 pin as he had told me it was a six pin. ( I did not know any better at the time all my previous trailers were four pin) We picked it up two days later on our way to our planned visit to DS and Familyin Bath Me making our maiden voyage a 10 hr drive for a one week camping at Recompense Shores in Freeport Me. We dry camped that week acting like we had one giant luxury tent on wheels (it is). That was July 2006.
    I was concerned about the wheel bearings, however because it was only 2 years old I thought it would be ok. Upon returning home we did camp backyard finally using all the goodies.
    Happy Camping
    Ken

3. JulesCamper

JulesCamper Indianapolis, IN

WOP31, that is really funny because I went from Danville, IN to Bloomington to get mine.

4. Island Ranger

Island Ranger New Member

Well there are not many PUPs in the UK I drove 240 miles from Essex to of outside Leeds to buy a camper I only had a picture & a discription. I left at 5am & got back at 5pm with only 1 stop of 30 minutes, just enough time to pay hitch up & go.

5. chocoholic8

chocoholic8 Livin' the pop up life!

Online, I found the 2010 I wanted but it was at a dealership 3 hours away (end of year clearance price). To be sure that was the model I wanted- went 30 minutes here into town where Discount RV had a 2011 on display. I was honest as to why I was there looking and the manager made me such a good deal on that one, I got the newer model saving a road trip. Worked out well for both of us!

6. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

That's because it takes 8 of those hours on the Don Valley Parking Lot. LOL

7. wop31

wop31 Look out world here I come......

That is pretty funny. I was back up in Danville (well Plainfield, but we drove right past where I bought it in Danville) with the pop-up a week later as well for the Special Olympics. Thought it was strange that I bought the popup there and drove it an hour home just to tow it back up that way a week later.

8. RayT38

RayT38 It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission

We traveled about 4 1/2 hours each way. We went from Central Maine to Central Mass.

9. sehuff903

sehuff903 1985 Palomino MXL

10 miles, Campbell to Greenville, TX. Early August 2009.

10. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

A whopping 8 miles to a car dealership in Reno, PA. Johnny Cash once shot a man there, just to watch him die. [LOL] [LOL]

11. eroyle

eroyle New Member

We traveled about 1 hour each way to pick up our PUP.

12. LI Camper

LI Camper Member

March 2009 I drove 170 miles one way from eastern Long Island to Walnutport PA. It was well worth the 3 1/2 hr(one way) drive. The pup was in like new condition and had been stored in a heated garage when it wasn't being used. Talk about pampered!

13. toppopr

toppopr New Member

Less tan 3 miles round trip, and a good thing, too. While the prev owners had given it immaculate care they had never bothered to check the bolts holding the axle to the frame. Three were loose, one about to fall off. Rattled all the way home. I check them on a very regular basis. [MOD]

14. stanz

stanz No matter where you go, there you are.

I was at my brother-in-law's house helping with his latest move. I drove about .45 miles from his house to find my pup... you never know

15. mosmith

mosmith New Member

I drove across the street... My neighbor sold me his 2000 Rockwood (for a really good deal). He purchased it three or four years ago and used it once, away from home and a couple of times in the yard, when his Grand-kids came for a visit. I put the bug in his ear a year ago, that if he ever decides he wants to get rid of it, to let me know. Well, he came to me earlier this summer and said it's mine if I want it. We negotiated a fair price and that's that! I am now the proud owner of my first PUP!

16. Countryboy5711

Countryboy5711 New Member

I drove abt 500km . . just over 300 miles. A clear, sunny day. On a beautiful highway that I hadn't driven in years. Southern Ontario is getting a little browner by now. No colours yet tho.

Crossed the bridge from Ottawa into Quebec and followed directions from there that took me to the foothills of the Gatineau Mountains.

I picked up a 2004 Aspen Classic. The light-weight 'motorcycle' popup. And it towed like a dream.

A great trip! :)

17. ricko

ricko Member

We picked up our first one in Southeastern North Carolina, 9 hours each way and the second outside of Charlottesville, VA... 9 hours both ways.

Still love it!

Rick

18. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Mine was delivered.. :)
    I live near an RV/Campground and a regular goes back/forth from here to to Knoxsville so I was checking classified/craigslist and "we" looked..A few looked good on line but he would not tow that piece of crap on his truck, it is long distance from good condition to needs work. I look to Pop Up Portal for my advise=so thanks...

19. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

We traveled about 90 miles to get our pup, but about a quarter of that to buy it.

We bought at the Maryland RV show. We ended up buying at the show from the largest RV dealer in the state. We passed up closer Coleman/Fleetwood dealers that were also at the show, because they could not match the price and seemed not to be able to match the service either.

Picking up the pup was really neat. It happened to be my birthday! They gave us a time to bring in our TV so the hitch etc. could be installed. When we arrived the salesman took our keys and went off to get the mods done, but not before he handed us off to the man in the parts department so that we could buy, all the gotta haves at a 10% off everything. The parts guy, toured us through the parts store and pointed out what we "need", "might need", and "nice to have" and without pushing in any way left us to shop.

After a while, the salesman stopped back and handed us a set of car keys to a company loaner car. He recommended we go into the nearest town to eat at a restaurant that has been around since about the 1920's that has a really good buffet. We'd been there before, and knew that they do catering for the Presidential retreat at Camp David, so DW, DD and I had no complaints about that suggestion!

After we got back, we had some down time, because the salesman was giving another customer a walkthrough. When he was done with them, he brought us to our pup and step by step talked us through, set-up, operation of all systems, and takedown. We had a couple of issues that were taken care of quickly and professionally. When that was done, he took us for a test drive. He or I didn't like the way the brakes were working so he took it to the service department and the jumped right on adjusting the brakes.

He passed us on to a 'closer', that went through all the paperwork with us, taking our final check. Finally, before sending us on our way, he gave us his card, with his cell phone, hand written on it, with instructions to call us day or night. In March, when we made our maiden trip, we called him at 6pm because we had issues with the stove. He talked us through it. Turns out I'd gotten dirt stuck in the quick disconnect somehow.

It was one of my better birthdays.

P.S. The last trip out, we had never heard before. Turns out we were on shore power after putting the battery under a pretty good workout keeping the fridge cool, between home and CG. I'd figured out that it was the cooling fan to the inverter. Next morning, I called the service department and described what was going on. He said got calls on that all the time, people would have their pup for years [we'd had ours 2] when it is finally quiet enough for them to hear when the fan runs. We had only one of our six darlings, so it was quiet! It's nice to know they are available for us.

20. barbjmj

barbjmj Member

About 10 miles south in early Spring 2008. Went on Saturday to look at it and Monday to pick it up!