How far do you go?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by krinen, Jun 3, 2013.

1. krinen

krinen Real Women Camp

On your average camp out, how far away from home do you go?

less than 30 minutes
    30 minutes to 1 hour
    1-2 hours
    over 2 hours

2. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

Usually 1 hour, sometimes 2, rarely 5+(beach trip).

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Over 2 hours - I'm not sure there even is somewhere less than 2 hours away where we'd like to camp. Truthfully, we're not likely to go camping for less than an hour, even if there was a place to do so, unless there was a special reason.
    Bandelier NM is about 2 hours away, camping in the Pecos or San Pedro Parks is about 2 (both of those are Santa Fe NF).
    We have a couple of places 4-5 hours away where we do camp, most of our trips are more like 6-8 hours away.

4. rexlxg

rexlxg Member

we usually have at least a 2 hour drive, sometimes 3 or 4 and even an 8 hour drive,
    but we normally camp for 4 or 5 or 7 days. I'm starting to take some shorter trips
    ( 2 nights ) and I dont want to drive more than 2 hours. but if I'm driving 8, I'm staying for 7

5. campermom

campermom Member

No more then 3 hours for us. Well atleast for this year. Hope to feel comfortable enough to take the PUP to PA next summer to camp with some old friends. Not sure how long that would even take? I know I drive alot faster going up 95 then I can tow [;)] 17 hours is long enough without having to slow down.

6. CamperMike

CamperMike Active Member

Usually 1.5-3 hours is the normal drive for our favorite camping spots. Most are right around 2 hours.

Occasionally we will go farther, such as this weekend we are driving about 4 hours, but that is so we can camp near my mother's house and spend time with her. We also have a trip planned for 5 hours away in August, but we will be camping 4 nights instead of our normal 2 or 3.

7. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

My popup camping will be about the same as previous years with tent camping...
    Early spring 1-2 hours
    Later spring 3-6 hours
    Summer 1-2 days for first location, then another day for second location, etc. until home
    Fall 3-8 hours (sometimes a day or two)

8. JT2

JT2 Member

For us, the camper is our motel room. Except for special cases, we generally don't take the PUP if the trip is less than 2 hours...we can attend or do something for the day and then drive home if it's that close by. Most of our camping drives are two to five hour trips one way, but we've also done 8-10 hour drives each way. (We view those as a small price to pay for 4-7 days in some really nice places.)

/JT

9. johnsagraves

johnsagraves New Member

Last year 2 Trips Florida to Michigan. Then another trip Florida, Michigan, and Los Angeles and back to Florida. Maybe 12 to 15K per year plus local camping. We see the USA with our PUP.

10. dion

dion Member

Our most recent trip was about 2.5 hours away, for a Memorial Day weekend with friends. The one before that was about 4500 miles round trip. For that trip, we spent a month on the road, with almost all stops being one-nighters. In a couple of weeks, I'm planning a campout which will require about five to ten minutes on the road, depending on how I hit the stoplights. For this local trip, my ham radio club is doing a "field day" get together, where we set up portable radio stations and make radio contact with other clubs doing the same thing.

I suppose I could give a single "average", but I don't think it tells the whole story.

11. bknjohnson

bknjohnson Tyngsboro MA

In New Mexico our average distance away was probably 2 to 4 hours, but we did make some trips 6-12 hours away for a week at a time. Now in New England our average distance is a lot shorter so far, maybe 1-2 hours away. All depends on what you like and where you're interested in going.

12. JazzVinyl

JazzVinyl New Member

So far this year, each trip has been 5 and 1/2 hours distant.

13. highside pup

highside pup Active Member

No limit, pull about 10000 miles a year, some years more. :)

14. PinnMcrack

PinnMcrack Active Member

I just got back from vacation with my folks. I/We drove for some where around 16-18 hours to get to their house and then drove 4 hours to get to Table Rock State park

15. Wedacampers

Wedacampers New Member

We usually have one longer camping trip a year where we will drive 6 to 10 hours, (Beach Camping, this year it was FL at 11 hours in the past SC Coast 6 Hours) other than that we camp around 2 to 3 hours away mostly because it is only for 2 to 4 nights so we don't want to waste to much of the family time riding in the car compared with time camping. We have numerous campgrounds around us in the hills of NC but so far we haven't seen the need to pay to stay close to home if we want to camp real close to home we will drive way camp. :)

By the way how is Table Rock St Park. Is that the one in SC? We have been wanting to visit.

16. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

My length of travel depends on the length of the stay.

I will go up to 5 hrs for a week long stay, but if it is just a weekend, then I'm only going 2 or less hrs.

17. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

Typically we go no more than an hour from home. Last year, we went to the PA Grand Canyon, which was a three hour trip - one way. This year, we are going to Ole Bull State Park in Potter County, PA - which I figure at about 3 hours. We are also going to Ohiopyle State Park in July, which is also about three hours.

18. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

We have 2 CG about 40 minutes from home which makes it nice for quick 1 weekend camping. We rarely travel more than 1 1/2 - 2 hours from home

19. dav1966

dav1966 New Member

we have been useing our local state parks 1 that is only 15 min from home and the other that is about 40 min away with the price of gas going up it only make sence to stay close ,plus once in the woods it dont matter and with nj state parks you get nice wooded lot with space between you and the other site and not lined up like a moble home park,would be nice to go farther and see more but for just now getting in the woods is nice.its all what you make it and what your looking to get out of it

20. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

DH is a commissioned salesman, so no work, no sales/no paycheck. Therefore, we take a lot of weekend trips. Because of time constraints, we usually go with 1 to 2 hrs from home. We do take a 2 week trip to FL in the winter, but haven't yet taken the PUP.