How far do you go?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by krinen, Jun 3, 2013.

1. cullinan18

cullinan18 New Member

with the little ones we never wanted to chance a long drive, so we've only gone about 1.5 hours away. as they get older we will consider farther. hopefully, i will be able to get more vacation time to justify farther.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Like a few others, distance is directly proportional to length of stay or duration of trip.. Normal weekend I'll go up to 2hrs away (and stretch that to 3 hrs max) For instance this summers big trip I am looking at a 1400 plus mile return trip, but we are gone for 15 - 16 days... Also I am towing a TT which has the aerodynamics of a billboard, so travel times are slightly increased (about 30 minutes for every hour of driving...)

3. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Our favorite camp site is 5 1/2 hours North-East (right in Mr_Customs backyard). Our second favorite spot is 4 hours straight North.

4. krinen

krinen Real Women Camp

Oooh!! Hopefully one day that will be me!!

5. fccjje

fccjje New Member

This is our first year and our trips depend on how many days I have off from work. So far we are around 3 hours.

6. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

When I redeploy back to the states our first trip covers 5000 miles

7. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Usually between 1 and 3 hours away

8. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

My longest trip last year was 8,100 miles and 61 days. My "local" out-and-backs are generally 2-5 hours and at least 100 miles away and generally more. I have a psychological thing about it not being "worth" the prep work to camp any closer. I can't begin to fathom camping 15 minutes from home!

9. AlanTn

AlanTn New Member

usually 90 min for weekends. a lot more for vacations.

10. jeffandtracey

jeffandtracey New Member

We are fortunate here, in the central valley of CA, to be within two hours of many camping options. We can head West to the ocean or East to the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Most of our favorite places are about one and a half hour drives which makes it really nice for weekend trips.

11. kentuckyrascal

kentuckyrascal Member

Our longest trip has been 12 hours for a rally. My shortest trip is 45 miles. Not counting camp driveway or taking it to the grandkids house so we could be part of Get Outdoors Day.

12. Shuswap

Shuswap New Member

So far wee have been on the road for 10 days (2,500 miles) with five weeks to go and another 3,500 miles.

13. CamperJenn

CamperJenn Member

This year the average is 3.5+ hours.

In two weeks I'm off to Clayton ny, then two weeks after that its Maryland!
    Maryland is about 8 hours out.

14. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I agree. We have friends with a 5th wheeler that live just down the road from us. They regularly go to a local campsite that is truly 20 mins. away. Why bother? I drive past that place 10 times a week during my regular running around. I want to know that I've gone away and had some time off.

15. ridenred333

ridenred333 New Member

I use to travel about 3 hrs. Now I have a lot of places to camp within 1 hr which makes it nice. The beachs are within 90 mins.

16. strangebird22

strangebird22 Member

Thats me exactly. I dont really consider it camping if we are not at least 2 hours away from home. My DW thinks I'm nuts and would camp 10 minutes from home. Having said that we are doing a trip the first week of July to Alum Creek SP only about 35 minutes from home, but thats because our youngest DD just graduated HS and is hoping to have a job by then, but still wants to camp with us that week. So gotta keep it close to home [:(] Oh well I'll still be camping so I'll somehow manage [:D]

17. rvalimont

rvalimont New Member

I like to go about 1hr to 2 hrs away

18. krinen

krinen Real Women Camp

I have am unlimited pass to my employer's campground on Kerr Lake (def my fav place), which is about 60 miles away, so i will be going there quite a bit, but I also like Jordan Lake as well, which is only about 10 miles.

When i tent camped, i had it down to a science and the car could be packed and we could be ready to go in 15 minutes, with a stop at the grocery store on the way out of town. It's the same way now, except i stop at the grocery store before i hook up the PUP. Setting up and tearing down is way *less* work now with the PUP than tent camping, so going for 1 overnight is no big deal now.

So far, with the PUP the farthest I've gone is Uwharrie, which was about 90 miles. I'm trying to get up nerve to take it to Louisiana this summer and/or maybe Florida this fall.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

19. reddog06

reddog06 New Member

We usually go within a few hours of the house. Our kids can't afford the gas and we love to have them with us. Better to have everybody than for them to never get away. We do live on te left coast, so there is a lot of ocean camping. State parks as well as RV within 3-4 hours there are dozens..

20. abradshaw

abradshaw New Member

Short trips are better than not going at all.

We have places we enjoy that are 1-2 hours out. We will stay at least 3 night at these. Of course these are not the big vacations we take that are further out and for longer periods. Love going no matter the distance.