How far do you go?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by krinen, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

During the last 3 seasons we have camped at a State Park a whopping 24 miles from home as the crow flies, but when you really like a place you really like a place. If I was to add that up it is over 150 nights all told in 3 years and mostly on the same exact campsite.

This fall we're heading up to the fall rally in Vermont, which is around 1200 to 1300 miles round trip. Next year we are planning on more longer trips. Maybe one to the beach. And I want to hook up at some point with Rockyroo out in Ohio or Michigan, maybe even this year if we can pull it off.

2. cuninham

cuninham Oh boy...!!

This year I booked just 3 sites...closest is 40mins away...longest is 3hrs

3. tentcamper

tentcamper New Member

It the "pre pop-up" days anywhere from 2 to 6 hours. The kids don't travel real well on long drives... but I've always thought any less than 2 hours isn't really a "trip". Post pop up... I'll let have to get back to you... taking the maden voyage with the trailer tomorrow... 3 hours to Michigan. Later this year 12 hours to SD, and then another 12 beyond that to Yellowstone... but that is certainly not an average trip.
    2 to 6 hours is plenty to get away, but not too exhuasting to dread the return trip... but having said that some of the best camping I've done with the little ones has been right in the back yard.

4. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Most of our camping is local...just quick weekend adventures to the mountains to relax, fish, and hike. We try to take a longer trip at least once per year, if not twice. This year we're going to Colorado and camping a few nights at Painted Rocks near Manitou Springs...do Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, Seven Falls, etc. Then we're going to make our way north and we have a cabin rented out for a few nights in the Big Thompson Canyon just outside of Estes...visiting grandma.

5. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Most of our camper trips are less than 150 miles from home. we do still tent camp, I cant see dragging the camper 5-6 hours for a night or 2 when we visit family at the beach, and will be spending a week in a tent in the Adirondacks the end of the month.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

This weekend is a bit more driving, even by our habits. We are cabin camping in Estes Park, 8-9 hours from home. DH went in to work early Wed., so we were able to leave by 3:30, and overnight on the way. It is about an hour and a half to BIL's, which we'll do twice-supper with everyone last night and tomorrow. Another BIL and family are visiting from OH, and are here in Estes Park, we'll meet them for dinner tonight. We get to explore Rocky Mountain NP today, the family has been here a couple of days so has been has seen some. BIL wanted a rest day before the brothers hike Mt. Bierstadt, a 14er, tomorrow. Not quite our usual weekend, but mostly fun.
    I do miss camping in the pop-up!

7. chasw98

chasw98 Chuck, Debbie, and grandson Jacob

We have every other weekend booked for a campsite up until September. All are Florida state parks within 4 to 6 hours driving time. We try to keep it within 4 hours on an ordinary weekend and on holidays or long weekends we will stretch out to 4 to 8 hours away. In September we will be taking the camper up to the Smoky Mountains for a 10 day trip. Our first venture out of state with the popup! That will be a 12 or 14 hour drive but we will be gone for 10 days.

Chuck

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention back on page two,, we are looking at two 7-9 hour towing sessions this summer, that is 7-9 hours on the road, add in the times spent eating, getting gas, doggie pee stops and were looking at close to a 12 hour day of towing...

9. NeedtoRoam

NeedtoRoam Colorfull Colorado

kitphantom, have you been to Monument Lake State Park Resort just west of Trinidad? We're heading there for the 4th of July weekend. I figure it's about 4 hr. drive from Denver.

10. NeedtoRoam

NeedtoRoam Colorfull Colorado

We like to keep it around 2 to 3 hours for a 3 night trip. If we drive further we add the number of nights to the trip. It just seems like 2 nights is not enough if you have to spend a 1/2 day to get there.

11. Nixie

Nixie New Member

Usually, we try to keep the trip under 5hrs because that seems to be the limit that the little ones can stand being in the car.

12. ric66

ric66 New Member

Usually less than 1 hour we do allot of one niter's . get there early in the day and stay till check out

13. 5CrazyCampers

5CrazyCampers New Member

CamperJenn - If you don't mind me asking, where will you camp in Maryland? I would love a recommendation in Canada at around 8 hours if that's possible. But I guess that means I would have to get passports for my family of 5. Maybe I'll have to plan for next year.

14. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Right now I am in Phoenix, AZ with my Coleman Key West. Drove on I-20 to Birmingham, then I-65 North to Hwy 78 all the way to Memphis, TN. Got on I-40 all the way to Flagstaff, AZ. drove down on I-17 to Phoenix to rest for a few days. Will leave tomorrow on I-10 to LA, CA. The mountains were treacherous in NM and central AZ. should be ok rest of the way. I am moving in with my fiancee in Los Angeles..

15. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

For the typical 2-nighter weekend trip, we try to keep it under 3 hrs. Much farther and we try to stretch it to 3 nights.

16. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Short trips between 2 and 3 hours. One to two weeks between 7 to 9 hours. I have yet to drive more than a day to camp. DW is not down with that idea.

17. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@NeedtoRoam
    We haven't been to that park, not done anything in that section of CO. We'll be heading to a CG near Platoro for the 4th of July, so it will be 5-5 1/2 hours for us.

18. seandd

seandd New Member

Anywhere from 40 mins to 4hrs. The beach is a fairly short drive and we like to be able to stay overnight and wake up with the whole day ahead of us.

19. bccamper

bccamper Member

Most of the time its between 1 and 2 hours for us. But we usually do 2, 1 week trips each summer where we travel anywhere form 3-10 hours.

20. DAMN YANKEE

DAMN YANKEE New Member

may i ask why you just didn't stay on i20 to i10 instead, same miles but no hills