How far do you go?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by krinen, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

We'll be putting about 6,000 miles on this summer. Plus two week long trips of about 1,000 miles each.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. Rick Kelley

Rick Kelley Member

Camping destinations for us have included anything from 5 min. ( regional park with over 2,000 acres and plenty of trails/lakes) up to 12 hours (over 3 days) destination- Buffalo Bill's State Park. In my opinion, it's not how far you have to travel, it is the quality of the destination, and the folks you are sharing the experience with. Last year we went south to a state park in New Ulm, MN and the people in the campground and the town were most enjoyable. The trip was only 1.5 hours away but I will do it again this year and most likely make it a annual visit. No matter how far or near you go to camp, just make it often. Some of the best times I've had have been while I've been camping.

3. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Depends on how long we will be away. 2 - 3 nights away we usually go about an hour to 2 away....more nights away up to 4 or 5 hours drive.
    The next pop-up I buy will have electric brakes and there will be another pick-up as well so I plan to do a lot more driving when this happens. It won't be for a few years yet so we will stick to Ontario camping for now.

4. bmcilravey

bmcilravey Lovin' the pup!

I would say e average is about 2-3 hours. Some are within an hour and a half but for the most part. maximum is 5 hours for us. our TV is less than ideal so long trips out to a coast or through a mountain range are not in the cards yet. We stick to the fairly flat driving of Ontario Canada.

5. Wayne-o

Wayne-o New Member

We usually go within 5 hours drive. But we have done a 7 hour trip, which was a bit long for the kids.

6. JETent

JETent JT

On a regular "no extra days weekend" we limit our travel band to 3hrs. That will put us deep in the Texas Hill Country state parks territory or at our favorite (regular weekend stop), Port Aransas.

We recently took a four day weekend and drove 7.5hrs to DeGray Lake SP in Arkansas. Very, very nice!

Happy travels!

Later,
    JT

7. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

For now 2-3 hours. Long drives + toddlers = not pleasant.

8. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Avg: over 2 hours. (avg is more like 5)

9. macamoose

macamoose New Member

Our first trip with the new PUP was 3 hours one way for a four day weekend. We really enjoyed that spot and have planned another trip to the same CG. After that we'll be making jumps of another 2-3 hours at a time to make a loop around back to the house. I think overall we are planning a majority of trips to be at least 2 1/2 hours away, though we are planning some near trips (less than 1/2 hour) once all of the tourists clear out of the local spots [8D]
    Thad

10. mainahman

mainahman All the worlds indeed a stage

So far within 2 hours of home. Wife is still getting used to being I. The truck while towing and isn't used to the movement and such. Hoping to make the RI Rally and that would be the longest trip.

11. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Our closest is 5 min down the road and we are there twice this summer, each for just 2 nights. Our furthest is 3 hrs away and that is this weekend coming for 3 nights.
    The longest trip this summer is for 5 days/4 nights, at approx an hour away.
    Since this is our first year with the pop-up, next year we'll most likely travel further but stay for longer. We are very fortunate to have such beautiful provincial parks so close.
    We'd also like to experience some state parks (Vermont, Maine etc.) as we hear they are truly exquisite.