How far do you usually drive in a day

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Spawndn72, Aug 30, 2016.

1. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

The original question of "How far do you usually drive in a day" I guess really involves making a longer trip. I've never driven my pup more than 8 hrs....but that seemed like enough to me. About 8 hrs from home is about as far as I can go do to job limitations. I actually enjoy driving while towing as it slows me down some and is more mentally stimulating...seems like a fun challenge.

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Well I normally limit myself to about 300 or so miles a day if the destination is more than 400 miles away. It's just me and the cat doesn't have her license, yet. I start to get punchy after that, even with breaks.

I once drove coast to coast in 72 hours. But those days are long past.

3. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Shoot, if I was younger, 10 hour day why...no prob. Now at 60, it busts my ass and the wife and I split up an 8 hour day and that's our best typically. Even at that, all I can say is thank God for meds to kill the sittin pain...

4. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Most of our camp trips are under 3 hours away, but have pulled trailers 12+ hours a few times in the past.
    We do have several long journey trips a year in just the car, and always drive straight through, swapping turns driving. We are dream planning some trips...drive a few hours, camp and site see, and repeat the next day with the final destination back home in a big circle a few weeks later....

SOMEDAY [:D]

5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

On our cross country trips an average day is 8-10 hours. That does not include rest stops, gas stops and sightseeing stops along the way. Our weekend trips are usually no more then 3 hours.

6. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

But we do know. He is comfortable making a 13 hr trip to Florida. The question is what factors do I need to consider as to why I couldn't do this with the pup. I think it's a valid question. Is it reasonable to expect to do the trip in 2 days or not? If everyone's reply said nah that's a 3 day trip with 2 stops he could reconsider his plan. To me it sounds like he has validation that 2 days is fine, just don't plan on making it as far in the 10-13 hours which I'm sure was already known. Also a point was made to make sure to monitor tire temps as an increased drive will add the potential for a bearing problem.

7. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I see your point but those were things that developed from the thread. The question was How far do you drive in a day. To me it wouldn't matter how far other people drive, they are not me.

8. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We've only camped a max of about 4 hours from home, so that hasn't been an issue with the pup.

However we sometimes do family vacations as road trips... just got back from one in Colorado (from Minnesota). Drove back from Colorado Springs, which was about 14 hours of driving, plus stops, plus the hour time change, which got a little brutal, but was doable. for 17 hours breaking it up into 2 days seems more than reasonable.

I don't have info to back this up but I would suspect if pup tires can go 8 hours without overheating, they're going to make it 80 or 800 just fine.

9. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Curious if there is any information on this subject of wheel bearings, other than anecdotal? I constantly monitor the temps inside the tires via a TPM system. And if the bearings were starting to overheat, the tire temp would also rise; not as much, but show a rise. And I have pulled the trailer in the deserts of UT, AZ and NV during the summer months with outside ambient temps hitting 100+. And I have never seen an increase that could not be attributed to ambient temps rising, or the sun hitting one wheel assembly and not the other. And this has been over some long days of eight hours or more. And I will be doing the speed limit on the interstates, outside of large metro areas and hardly any traffic (which is common on I80 through NV, I40/I10 through NM/AZ, so if it is 75 or 80, I'm hitting those speeds.

But IF the bearings are packed correctly, with the correct grease and the hub tightened as required (not too tight, not too lose), I do not understand why the a long haul of eight hours or more vs. a shorter haul of six hours or less would cause a drastic increase in bearing temps.
    So just curious if there is any good reliable info on this subject. Always willing to learn.

10. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

Will go 6-7 hours per day. We have younger kids and a dog, plus my back will start to stiffen up driving or not. We recently went to Maine (14 hours) and booked a mid-point KOA (don't mind the KOAs for a single stop-over night). Planning to go to Great Smoky Mtns next summer near Ashville, also a 13-14 hour drive and will be looking for something mid-point once we have our reservations.

11. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I agree. We were in Colorado last week -- about 600 miles one way. We drove straight through going and coming. Took about 10-11 hours each way with two stops for gas and two or three more pee breaks. I felt the trailer hubs when I stopped for fuel and there was no issue with heat.

Not the best way to spend a whole day, but I didn't think it was too bad. [:)C]

12. Spawndn72

Spawndn72 Member

Thanks to everyone for the constructive post; you have been very helpful. It looks like my plan is going to be at about the limit for what is normally do-able, but I think we will be fine. Going to make our reservations tonight for the game lodge campground in Custer state park.

13. Rob-N-Kat

Rob-N-Kat Member

Spawn, which engine did you get in your F150. I've got the 2.7 and it pulls my camper like its not even there. I love my 2015!

14. Spawndn72

Spawndn72 Member

I have the 2.7 with 3.73 gears. It's a beast!

15. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

Depending on how far the destination is, it's not unusual for me to do 800+ miles in a day.

16. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Where are you planning to stop on your first night?

17. Spawndn72

Spawndn72 Member

Haven't really decided yet, but somewhere between Kansas City and Omaha. Any suggestions?

18. Jughed

Jughed Member

If google maps says its 18 hours... add at least 3 for towing. Most of the roads have 70mph speed limits & towing the pup should be 65 max. You will need extra stops for gas & to check the gear... You are looking at 2 11+ hour days, or three 7-8 hour days.

We did cross country earlier this year and found that google map estimates are way low for towing situations.

Our trip was longer & we decided up front to limit the days to 8 hours on the road. You have to figure an hour to check in and set the pup up, food, time for a quick shower and some sleep, then an hour to pack up and get back on the road.

One of our longest planned legs was Colorado Springs to K.C. - google said 8 hours. At hour 10 we stopped short at Topeka. No traffic - just couldn't keep up with the speed google uses for its calcs.

19. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

I always add an 1 or 1.5 hours to any trip that is approx. 6 hours or less, and up to 2 for any trip that is shown as 8 hrs on google maps. However, I tow at whatever the speed limit is, to the max of 80 mph on the local interstates. Added time is for me to get a walking break and a trip to a rest area; dogs get a walking break and a trip to a few trees. Example, from my location to Moab is shown as 6 hours, I do it in 7.5 hours with one fuel stop, and two rest area stops. (One rest area actually has an enclosed dog area so the dogs can run around free off a leash to burn off some energy, so I stay there a bit longer.)

20. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

To the OP - If you are used to making longer drives, two days will not be a problem for you and your family. As indicated, you have to know your traveling style and limits. Apparently, my family is way over on one side of the bell curve, 800 or 900 miles in a day is no big deal at all, especially heading East to West if you gain an hour. On the route that you are going, other than a couple of big cities that you have to go through, you can make great time and can in fact do 70 on the freeway, it is really not an issue. I would recommend that you make the first day a longer day and the second one shorter. Here is a technique that we use on the first day (leaving from home) that we find works very well. We get everything packed up the night before including food. We leave very early the next day - like 4 am early. Our kids climb into the vehicle and sleep (we have 7 of them). We drive about 4 hours and stop for gas and if the kids were in their PJs, they change into clothes and we have breakfast, which is usually banana, yogurt, breakfast bar...... We all get back in and drive another 4 or so hours until about 12:30 and again stop for gas and lunch. We usually have sandwiches for lunch or maybe fast food if it works. Its about 1 pm now and you've driven about 560 miles. We get back in for another 4 hour driving shot and get to our destination if it is less than 800 miles. It is now 5 pm or maybe even earlier if you have gained an hour. Kids read, we listed to books on tape and talk as a family in the van. Switch drivers at stops as needed. It helps a great deal to leave early and in fact this part of the day is easy driving, cool and minimal traffic.

For your trip, I would try to get very close to Omaha the first day, there are a lot of nice campgrounds in the area. It will make the second day easier driving (harder to leave early when camping as opposed to from home). Also, you gain an hour on the second day so you will get into Custer early enough to set up, have dinner and do the wildlife loop. On the other hand, you could spend an extra day in Omaha if you have time and visit the zoo, it is nice.

If you need any suggestions regarding Custer and the area, ask away, we go out there every year. We always hike up Harney peak. Lots of other good hikes and things to do and see.