How far do you usually drive in a day

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Spawndn72, Aug 30, 2016.

1. mdcamping

mdcamping Member

300 to 400 hundred miles

Mike

2. Kb2yht

Kb2yht New Member

8 hrs drive time is a good day.
    I have done plenty of 10-13hr days to get someplace with the PUP, but it tends to not be enjoyable.

Timer camp to camp is often 12 hrs... But that include the stood and side trips, picnic and hike time.

3. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Active Member

When on trips, I don't pay much attention to mapping software drive time, but do the miles. For us we can usually average close to 50 MPH, when we take breaks, gas stops, and meals into consideration. So a 500 mile drive will take us about 10 hours. That will be on freeways, and avoiding congested areas. If driving back roads, or near Chicago we add a couple of hours. So for us when we add in the setup and break camp time, 500 miles would be more then we want to do anymore at our age. We are retired, and usually don't have to be anywhere at a certain time, and usually try for about 300 mile days, and start looking for a camping spot by 4:00 PM. setup have supper and enjoy the evening. Enjoy your trip, the Black Hills are my favorite camping area in the country.

4. p

p Active Member

We did Vancouver to Calgary in 11 ish hours. Didn't plan on doing it in one day but just kept going. Kids had some books on tape and the wife enjoyed the view.

5. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

I can completely relate to your inquiry! Other than short trips for new tires, etc., I had no experience pulling a trailer (a new-to-me 8' popup) prior to my 700mi trip the Elk Neck rally in June. Quite frankly, pulling my little popup is a breeze!

With all of my trips, I knew that I wanted to arrive at my final destination before 5pm, if possible. I split my trip so that my layover night was within a 4-5hr drive of my final destination.

I agree with Snow re time estimations. I also add about 1 hour for every 2 hours predicted by Google Maps. I stop every hour or so for gas, a snack, etc. and most of my trips have involved a border crossing.

Given all that, I generally travel a shorter distance in one day on my outward trip than on my return. When travelling into unfamiliar areas, I want to allow extra time to arrive in daylight; whereas on the return trip I know the roads well, so I don't care if I arrive after dark. For example, I had a layover night on the way to the Vermont rally, but drove 11 hrs home without a layover.

6. popup 61

popup 61 Member

Wow, I feel like the wife and I are superhuman . We have driven from the Poconos to Yellowstone straight through, twice. That's 2100 miles there and back straight through. We leave a 12am, I usually drive about 14-15 hours then let her drive til dinner, then I take over for the rest. As far as the myth of trailer tires can't go more than 8 hours at a time I call BS! Every time I stop for fuel I check tire and hub temps and never had one that was more than a little warm.