How far have you towed....in ONE day ?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by p, Dec 11, 2018.

1. p

p Active Member

Last summer we drive from Calgary to Victoria in one day.
    12 hours to Vancouver
    1.5 hour ferry
    1 hour drive to a Victoria house

Left at 5:30 am. It was a long day with two kids and wife. Saw a Winnebago floor fall out. A trailer tire fly across a highway in front of me. Nobody hurt in either incident.

2. tcbrady

tcbrady Active Member

Longest we ever pulled was a 6 hour trip to Virginia from Pennsylvania to meet family that was traveling from South Carolina. Perfect middle spot to meet up and we ended up loving the campground. (Pocahontas State Park) Was surprised how decent the trip went though as it was our first out of state and over 3 hour trip. Interestingly enough on our way home we saw a big motor home cruising the highway with one of the smaller slide outs in the rear opened up as they flew down the highway. Didn't even know they could move with them open! (Thinking they didn't realize it...)

3. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

For me, it was 362 miles from Tahquamenon Falls State Park to home. I'd guess it was probably close to seven hours including stops for fuel and feeding the baby. Completely uneventful, as all of the bad stuff happened on the way to the park, where the same travel took four days.

4. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

598 miles, 12 hours from Cherokee Alabama to Oklahoma City, power steering pump went out.

Spridle likes this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

12 hours is my max especially if towing. I've been all the way up to Maine from VA but stayed at relatives in RI for a few nights. I was going to take my camper on that trip but only a week before the lift died and couldn't get it fixed. So left it home and pulled out my tent and EZ up. It takes me 12 to get to RI. Sometimes a tad less if wind is aiding me vrs pushing. I avoid taking i95 until after The tapinzee bridge, just too much traffic and too stressful. most of my driving is actually in PA the route I go. I ended up using my Emergancy cash when I had to stop for gas way more than I expected going up, but coming back home I was coming under. Ended up only getting to the MD/VA border on the way back when my car was acting up. Turned out a rock nicked my transmission line which developed a slow leak when. Actually very thankful I didn't have the camper with me on that trip. According to the guy I probably would have irreversible damage to the transmission had it been under a load at the time.

6. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

650 miles

7. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

The farthest I have towed my pup in a single day was last year, 475 miles. However, long distance trips are nothing new to me. Twelve years ago I drove the family 675 miles in one day in a truck camper. As a youngster in my 20's, we thought nothing of driving 900+ miles straight to get from Minnesota to the mountains of Colorado to tent camp. I did that several times.

8. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

over 1000 miles pulling our popup in one shot. From a COE campground near Ft. Hood TX. to just east of Rockford Il. Other trips from Lakewood Co. home to same spot east of Rockford a bit over 970 miles. I've even done SS100 on a motorcycle so 1,000 mile days are not too big a deal for me. A bit less now that I'm pulling a travel trailer instead of the pup

9. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

About 12 hours on the road. Way to long. We normally like to plan no longer than 5 hours, which is about 260 miles.for us. But every once in awhile we push one of our legs on a trip to 7 hours or so. Leaving a campground at 8am and getting to the next campground around 3-4 pm. After 7-8 hours on the road with a trailer, DW and I start to get crabby.

10. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

600 km (~ 375 miles) is about as much as I want to drive each day. At times I've had to stretch that a bit to find a suitable place to overnight but if it's over 800 km (~ 500 miles) that's when I pretty well draw the line.

11. Turfit

Turfit New Member

528 miles is my longest. I prefer not to tow over 300 miles in a day, just a lot easier on me and the family, besides, we are on vacation so why rush?!?!?

12. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

It was not the longest but seemed to take Forever.
    We drove across Ohio in a huge continuous rain storm.
    Took over 5 hours to go 200 miles. I could have made better time if we had a boat. Was not a pleasant drive, gripping the steering wheel.
    But made it safely and luckily had nice weather for our rally.
    Question: how does a winnebago floor fall out ?!?

13. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

530 miles to Grand Canyon. Split it up into two days the way there, but had to do the full haul in one day on the way home-it was about 11 hours.

14. The_Al_Mighty

The_Al_Mighty New Member

692 miles from Orange County to Salt Lake City. We left at 3:00 AM and made it to SLC by dinner time.

15. MyName

MyName Active Member

About 500 miles towing to get to Lake Tahoe. 2 days for the return trip because I knew we would not leave on time. Family rejected the idea, well mainly my 2 little campers who still love camping. I have to either split it into 2 days, or leave so early that people are still sleeping.
    This Christmas the wife wants to do 700 miles in one day with no pop up. No camping, just hotels. This will be fun. :(

16. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Returning home from a vacation a couple years ago, we went from Estes Park, CO to Lenexa, KS -- 671 miles. [:)C]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  17. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

760mi was the longest leg of a 18 day 4000mi+ trip.

Years ago before kids and the camper, me and DW did 1000mi in a car from Scottsville, KY to Burlington, CO.

18. p

p Active Member

I drove by the Winnebago and liquids were gushing out from under the driver side. I could also see a huge chunk of the bottom of the trailer laying on the road.

Causes?
    -rot...it looked old
    -hit something (but it was a clear highway)
    -termites
    -heavy driver

19. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We've probably done over 500 miles, but it wasn't fun. (one memorable example: We went from the '12 PUP Rally in the Flat Tops area of Colorado to Great Sand Dunes arriving in late afternoon. the site was so sloped that even with all the Lynx blocks we had at that time, the tongue jack was fully extended, stabs close to it. It was so wobbly, we ate a quick supper and headed for home, arriving at something like 10 p.m., pulling into the driveway at an angle, to cope with unhitching, etc. the next day.)
    We now try to keep it under 8 hours, though we'll push that a bit for certain destinations, when we'll be camped for more than a night.
    We did 700+ miles this fall, not towing, coming home from the east. We realized even that is too much for us these days - we hadn't tried that in probably 15-20 years.

20. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

My longest trip to date towing the pup along was 310 miles one way. Took us just under 6 hours with a couple rest stops along the way. The camping stay was much more enjoyable than the drive to get there and back. Travel was mostly Interstate highway, so I was getting passed for pretty much the entire time, as I try to keep my tow speed under 65 MPH as much as possible.