How far have you towed....in ONE day ?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by p, Dec 11, 2018.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

Longest in one day was 530 miles from Grant Village campground in Yellowstone to Denver. Don't remember exactly how long but it was probably around 10 hours after figuring in eating and gas stops. Key for us was to stop and stretch the legs every few hours.

2. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

Those are some miles. I think our limit was 400 in a day and 650 total one way. For the longest time I tried to limit it to five hours in one day. My kids travel well, but after five hours things start to get feisty. Five hours also gives us a good shot of getting set up before dark and fully settled in.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Longest day ever for us was 623 miles. Ended up to be a 16 hour day!! That includes stopping for gas, restrooms, lunch and dinner.

Will NEVER do that again!!! We were pushed for time coming home!

4. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Longest so far was from inlaws house in Jax. FL back to coastal NC...500 miles. That was our longest trip of about 780 miles from NC to spring training at Jupiter, FL. Longest tow in a day and then set up was 380 miles to Lake Powhatan Rec. Area Asheville, NC and a second 380 mile trip to Skidaway Island SP Savannah, GA.

5. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

Well, I think I am an outlier here. Earlier this year we drove 934 miles the first day of our trip from the Twin Cities to Denver. It was actually a very easy drive as it was overcast and cool for the whole drive that day(May). We got set up at Cherry creek and then still had plenty of time for dinner, a visit to relatives, hit Sam's Club and a nice fire. Previous year we did two 800+ mile days the first two days back to back. We don't find these days to be bad at all, but we have been doing this for 10+ years as a family and I have been doing it for 30+ years individually. We leave early (like 4 am early) and only stop for gas (and we go to the bathroom then). We pack snacks and breakfast and lunch. Spend time talking in the van and listening to music and other stuff.

I know that I must be weird, because we don't find these trips stressful at all, in fact they are relaxing and I actually look forward to these longer drives. If you are talking about driving without the camper, then as a family we have regularly driven 1120 miles from home to Santa Rosa, NM (multiple times heading to Palm Springs). I hate to say it, but one time driving without my wife, but with the kids I drove 1475 miles in one shot solo on the way out to Palm Springs (I stopped and napped for a bit in the desert on that one). I regularly drive 520 miles down around Chicago to Purdue University and I find that is an easy drive, but only about 7.5 hours, so not that long.

I'm not sure why we as a family find these drives easy. I think part of it is that we don't stop that much and when we stop they are short and also we drive 70-75 on these trips, never any slower so we can make good time. Also, in the car we tend to think of it as family time and just hang out and interact. We have taken these long drives since the kids were very young (I have seven kids), so they are very used to it. In fact, the kids are awesome travelers for sure, really have to compliment them on that. The biggest issue on these long drives is heading West to East when you lose an hour and some daylight. Heading the other way really helps for a longer drive.

6. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

First trip with the PUP came home 674 miles according to Google Maps, plus stops (St. George, UT (Gas/Lunch), Primm , NV (Snacks), Tehachapi, CA (Dinner)) from Kodachrome Basin State Park, UT to Clovis, CA (home). Total time was 12-13 hours. I split the drive there into 2 days as I didn't want to role into the unknown at o-dark-thirty. Considering I didn't leave home until 10am that would have not been fun.

7. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

Approx. 550 miles was one leg on a round trip from GA to CA. Long days of driving were required on that return trip. Even with 3 drivers if felt very long. We were all tired and new to towing so it was a bit stressful. Was a fantastic trip though & I wouldn't trade anything for that experience.

8. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

The longest with the PUP so far was Cayce, SC to Glouchester, Va. With small detour about 450 miles and counting lunch and restroom breaks took a little over 8 hours. With the DW and kids around 500 miles is as much as I want to do. Now in my OTR days before all the crack down on logbooks and hours of service it was a different story. With 300 gallons of fuel 1000 mile days were not uncommon.

9. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

Longest trip towing was around 600 miles in a single day, total trip 1600 miles. Towed a small Utility trailer with some furniture in it, not a Pup.
    Longest driving day not towing, 800-850 miles. That's a long day & part of night. I do that a couple times a year, stay at cousins in KY, then will hit the road again in the morning for another 400-600 miles the following day.

10. _WW_

_WW_ Member

Went solo 786 miles to British Columbia with the A-frame. Just stopped for gas. I always pack snacks for these trips because eating a large meal makes me sleepy. Trip took about 14 hrs.

11. Jwwiff

Jwwiff Member

Our first trip with our camper was 725 miles from the Twin City area (Minnesota) to Salesville area in Arkansas to meet up with my parents who camp there in the Spring and Fall. We hope to keep our trips this next year within Minnesota as more of us will be going along. I only took 2 daughters on this trip. Next Summer it will be the family (those that are not working!).

12. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

Yes, I too find that is a secret to long-distance driving, too. Stay hungry-- you stay awake. I do stop to eat from time to time but only after getting really hungry, and then eat light. Grapes make for great snacks in the car for the driver.

13. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Look up the iron butt association. A group of long distance motorcycle riders. They pretty commonly do 1,000 mile day back to back. They alos offer some ideas on how to accomplish this. Things like not eating heavy meals or drinking caffeinated beverages. Some pretty neat stuff there.

14. NothingsChocking

NothingsChocking Active Member

Almost 1000 miles in one day taking our new camper from Omaha NE to San Antonio Texas. It took about 17 hours.

15. Lug_Nut

Lug_Nut Active Member

953 miles (per mapquest) from home near Worcester MA to Franklin NC to see the eclipse in 2017. I left on Friday after work, got there early Saturday afternoon and then slept. I scoped out a few possible viewing sites on Sunday, drove back to my first choice before dawn on Monday, but already the crowd was there. I went back to the campground and viewed totality from there.
    Packed up and headed back on Tuesday, was back to work Wednesday AM.
    2005 diesel Jetta with a Starcraft Meteorite.

16. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

When you tow long distances, do you need to make long stops to let tires cool? I thought I read that.

17. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I've never had a problem with properly inflated tires that aren't overloaded or being pulled too fast.

18. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

Lots of good info embedded in that last post. Don't pull too fast! Just because rest of the road is doing 75 mph, don't think you can with those tires rated at 65.
    Proper inflation is also important. It's getting harder to find a gas station with an air compressor that is WORKING these days.
    A fellow pupper at rally helped refill* my tires to about 50 psi from the 32 psi which had me nervous as a cat driving about 150 miles up. I had tried 2 different gas stations on the way up but both had non-working compressors. (Yes, I put money in both times.) On the way up, my tires at 30-35 psi felt "warm" but not hot at those stops-- on a cloudy morning. At least the tires got rested every hour for 10 mins or so.
    On the way home-- sunny afternoon-- stopped for gas halfway, same tires at 50 psi didn't even feel warm. Tires looked EXACTLY the same at 50psi as at 32 we both noticed, so always use a gauge.

* Rally-er used a portable mini air compressor. Nice!

19. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

your camper tires in most cases are ST tires and should be filled to the max PSI stamped on the camper tire or close to it...I believe in most cases that is 65lbs.

20. p

p Active Member

And the drivers should be full of warm coffee.