How far have you towed your camper for a trip?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Jeep Guy, May 21, 2018.

1. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

our first ever camper trip - May-June this year, in a 2003 Scout Low Profile - 2000 mile round trip. 2 nites one location (valley of the Gods, AZ) , 4 nites another location (drill hole near Water Canyon, Cedar Mesa, UT) , one nite 3rd location (Jacob Lake NFS campground) , 1 nite in motel (PRIM, NV), 2 nites with friends in Laughlin, NV.

tenttrailer and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

3. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

It was a three week family trip when I was 16. It was a VW westphalia. I was a new driver so my parents only let me drive while in the US parts of the trip. I never thought about how many miles it was. I just know that making that trip today would be risking my life. My father had friends who had emigrated from Germany in some towns along the way so we would stop and visit with them. Before Puerto Vallarta became a tourist hotspot many of the signs on local stores were in both German and Spanish.

4. jharahush

jharahush New Member

Towed my popup from Golden, CO to Furnace Creek, CA (inside Death Valley NP) and back, which is about 850 miles each way. That’s the farthest I’ve taken it so far!

5. Merlin14

Merlin14 Active Member

We're headed from Houston to Leadville and will pass through Ouray, Telluride, and hopefully Aspen. It is worth it! This will be our 4th consecutive year to go to Colorado. Next year, earlier, Utah!

6. Sacramento Pop Up

Sacramento Pop Up Member

0 miles towing a pup but have our first outing planned in July. Some 340 miles/5 hours straight up California. I’m not at all concerned about the pup rather the dang drive. Ugh. There’s too many places to see and camp in my own backyard that it’s tough driving- ugh- even longer distances to other states.
    It’s an obvious that the NP’s far away are on my bucket list but are in due time. I have a road tripping tent camping hardened little wild child that is more than eager to explore. .. The driving. Ugh.

7. Jess n JJ Julian

Jess n JJ Julian Member

1300 miles one way from Texas to Northern Michigan for my yearly family reunion. We pull our 3000lb pup with my Ford Flex v6 with no problem.

8. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

Not until this coming easter, April 2020.

9. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

Last weekend I met up with my best friend and his family. A slightly shorter distance to camp, but I think I did more miles overall as we day tripped from Kaibab NF (North Rim Grand Canyon area) up to Zion. We had postponed Lassen to next year because of construction. They dropped a bomb on me for next year. Glacier NP and maybe into Canada. I'm 1200+ miles from Glacier. I guess it would be nice to actually use the passport.

DJS12354 and kitphantom like this.
  10. Flipped in NH

Flipped in NH Member

2500 miles round trip from Northern NH to Georgia. Maiden voyage with our 1974 Jayco Flipper and 2011 Toyota Venza TV. We hardly knew this small, lightweight trailer was even back there.

We stopped one night in Pennsylvania. Setup took us 20 minutes. Tear down about the same. Easy peasey. We will definitely be doing more of this. Much more relaxing for me than a noisy motel. [suv&pu]

HappyTraveler likes this.
  11. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

Lots of nice camping here in NC and neighboring states :)

With Cub Scout cargo trailer in tow, travel around 100 miles to camp.

Traveling from NC to visit family and friends in OH, usually spend a night in WV camping. So the most I travel in a day is around 300 miles, solo or with family.

When the kids were younger, would drive overnight straight to destination, putting in 9 to 10 hours drive - with family asleep for the drive. Now we build in stops along the way, and only drive 3 to 5 hours.

Dad likes the "build in stops" and less day drive :)

12. JLE

JLE Member

Our first two month trip this year in May from Alberta to Texas return ... with many meandering routes in between...was over 7,500 kms...say 4,500 miles. We easily double that amount of miles every year.

13. penny

penny Well-Known Member

we just towed ours from las cruces to cayucos CA. about 1000 miles for the route we took on the way. then went to Lake Isabella and on to Sierra Madre, not sure how many hours, but about 4 hours. The trailer towed well, was trouble free. (except for driver error on the way home) we averaged 400+miles a day on the way out. took some breathtaking routes through Lake Havasau and on to Mojave. It was an adventure for sure. It was very, very nice to park in a nice RV resort within walking distance of the charming town of Cayucos and the beautiful beach. the weather was very cool, and I'm not sure that is a bad thing. It was 107 driving in some parts of AZ and CA. The only reason I'd avoid it would be the cost of gas and how much more we use towing, and the speed on is sensible to drive. We stuck around 55-60 and got 14 mpg. in the 4 runner.

14. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Cayucos is a nice little town. Interesting to pronounce the name by spelling alone. We live in the area and love it here. Hope you had a good visit. Plenty of things to do in the area.

15. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Just did a 1908 mile trip. Me and 2 kids (13 and 3) 850 miles each way. Drive straight there, camped and then drove straight back. Set the cruise on 73mph, fired up the Waze app and off we went.