How far have you towed your camper for a trip?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Jeep Guy, May 21, 2018.

1. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We have taken several 3-4,000 plus trips. Just this January 24th we headed for 5+ weeks trip to Taxes, camping every night and a little over 4,000 miles. From Ohio to WV to Raleigh NC to see the GK's, then to Hot Springs AR via Knoxville, Nashville, Memphis. We then headed to Dallas TX to see some friends, off to fort worth to see some more friends, over to Houston to visit NASA. Then to Goose Island on TX cost, and off to San Antonio. Over to the hills country of TX for a few nights and then to Del Rio national recreation area and over to Big Bend NP, up to Fort Davis and mcdonald observatory. Up into NM to visit Carlsbad Caverns NP. Then slowly work our way back to Ohio via TX, OK, AR, TN,KY, and ohio.

We made it home just in time for our Governor to shut down the state. Not enjoying this shut down and hanging out in the house. I have started doing some home improvements with my DS who has been laid off. Paying him for his help. Both him and his wife are laid off. The other 5 hids are all working.

Jeep Guy likes this.
  2. Andy G.

Andy G. Member

we went from home in Wisconsin to several places all over Indiana. probably 975 miles round trip.

3. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

If you can travel this summer, can avoid contact with other people, and have a place to open up at the end, doooo it. The price of oil hit MINUS $37/bbl yesterday, and we might see $1/gal gas for the first time since 1999. We'll be refilling the farm's diesel tanks pretty soon, I think.

Jeep Guy likes this.
  4. oceanstater

oceanstater Member

Great discussion. I am curious what backup parts/spares people bring for long trips especially in areas where replacement parts will be hard to get. What are your "don't leave home without it" items?

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Two spare trailer tires, and a good roadside assistance like goodsams (or one of the others that are based around a trailer/rv first and auto second, as in anything other then caa/aaa)

6. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

I'd make sure your tires and a spare, are in real good shape along with your wheel bearings, before you go. Plus a basic tool kit, jumper cables, various zip ties of all sizes, bungee cords, tie down straps and a variety of tapes. What did I miss?

Jeep Guy likes this.
  7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

A lot. Lol. Jacks , leveling blocks, a good star type wrentch for the lugs. Electrical tools, screws and a drill, compresser. I take everything to fix anything. Yes, its a lot of extra crap, but i would rather a quick fix and get going then haing to be sidelined and wait for someone else to fix it.

8. Rey-Pop-UP

Rey-Pop-UP Member

820 Miles roughly has been my longest trip so far. I love to drive and enjoy the scenery. It was a bit challenging but because i have 3 small children who surprisingly did great! Looking forward to taking longer trips in the future.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. Andy G.

Andy G. Member

Emergency items- my floor jack, one spare tire, wood blocks, lug wrench, basic tools, LED lantern, fire extinguisher, etc. I carry other items for the camping part of the trip, but these are my emergency items.

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I know a guy, who has one of those hard slides like mine, and a quad bunk room up front ( he got the trailer when the kids still camped) and now with everything he carries, your lucky if the top two bunks are useable.. he carries a "bus flippin jack" 20 ton.. oh and he is one of a few I know of who tow at 99% of there ratings..

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. Old School Rob

Old School Rob Member

The longest trip yet, was last summer. We went just over 300mi. Next summer, we are doing the Selkirk Loop in WA, ID, and BC. 905 mi to get to the start. Then 280 mi round trip on the Loop.

12. Ironmonger

Ironmonger Member

Towed PUP 900 miles round trip from So IN to Smokies. Had to cut the trip short when the park campgrounds closed and they kicked us out. Pooey.

13. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Few years back we flew to Vegas, rented a car and visited couple of NPs. We called it our 'Butterfly Trip', as you can see the screenshot of my planning when mapped out in Google map. I believe it took us about 7 days total. We now have a pop up and one of these days I am planning to make a similar trip towing our camper. Obviously it will be longer than 7 days - probably two to three weeks, I assume.
    20160715_183901.jpg

Jeep Guy likes this.
  14. Jim Whitehouse

Jim Whitehouse New Member

In 2018 we made plans to be on the Artic Circle for the summer solstice. Left home May 23, back in driveway June29. Just over 18,000 km. Our new ALiner behaved well. Few minor issues, tywraps holding the e-brake line eroded by gravel roads and the fridge door came off driving the Dempster.

BBQdave likes this.
  15. tcbrady

tcbrady Active Member

Our longest trip with our camper and Jeep was around 450 miles one way, no complaints!

Jeep Guy likes this.
  16. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

For my trip to Colorado, there are long stretches of highway with very little around so I am bringing 2 spare tires. I will carry my Ryobi cordless air compressor, lug wrench, jack for the tow vehicle works on the camper, spare set of bearings, LED headlamp and flashlight, emergency puck red flashing lights, fire extinguisher, and a basic set of tools.

Camper054 and Sjm9911 like this.
  17. Arlyn Aronson

I assumed the original poster had normal things along.

18. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

We've towed our Fleetwood Avalon over 3,500 miles round trip (NY to TX, then back) this winter/spring. DH makes sure to check all the tires, breaks, etc before and during the trip and we don't go over 60 mph. Of course, we're retired and not in a hurry, so going slower and taking longer aren't a big deal.
    Last summer we towed it over 2,250 miles round trip (NY to MN, then back).

19. Arlyn Aronson

We are soooooo sad you didn't stop in the UP to say hi.... [:!][:!][:!][V][V][V]:(:(:(:confused::confused::confused:

20. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

My trip this summer (hopefully) will be to Yellowstone and that will be 1,400 miles one way! Solo!
    I’m leaving from South Chicago and will probably split it in 3 days.

Jeep Guy likes this.