How far have you towed your camper for a trip?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Jeep Guy, May 21, 2018.

1. Sandy Simmons

Sandy Simmons New Member

We have taken our pup 1450 miles back and forth to our family reunion. We rent a place in Ohio with a pavilion, banquet hall, pool and plenty of room for camper and tents. Lasts for 3 days and we have a blast.

2. paddykern

paddykern Member

In 31 years in a pop-up based in Michigan we have traveled to Maine every other year, been to Yellowstone, Glacier NP, Yosemite, Florida many times and all over the South West. Many shorter trips also. Never had a flat tire :)

3. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

No flats is what I like to hear. That is probably my biggest fear is flats or bearing failures. But I have new tires on the camper, two new spares, entirely new bearings and hubs. I will bring a spare set of bearings with me just in case.

4. slowcarfast

slowcarfast Active Member

Not a whole lot to contribute as I'm fairly new to pop-up life, but our family is trying to plan a Colorado trip for this summer (COVID has thrown things for a loop but trying to still make it happen). We're in Florida so the drive is closer to 2000mi. Debating a few options, including pulling the pop-up, driving with tent camping gear, or flying with really basic gear and maybe renting some stuff. I'm a little weary of pulling the pop-up so far, but it sounds like with good maintenance for the trailer (tires and bearings, with spares of each) and TV there shouldn't be too much to worry about. We're fairly comfortable with long drives, having done annual tent camping trips to Georgia or North Carolina (5-600mi) as well as drives to visit family in Pennsylvania (1000mi). CO is an awful long way to drive though, and we've got elementary age kids. I certainly wouldn't drive with less than 2 weeks, and would probably push for 2.5-3 weeks if I can get away with it at work.

Sjm9911 and Jeep Guy like this.
  5. k-t-did

k-t-did Active Member

8-9 hours, I think...camping on the beach in FL from LA

6. the-one1

the-one1 Member

It really depends on what kind of trip you're going for. Do you want to camp along the way to your destination making the whole drive there and back a "destination" in itself or do you just want to get to the destination?
    A drive that far, I would shoot for 2 weeks so you have time to relax and not rush to get where you need to go. I did a similar trip a couple years ago, from GA to CO. Spent 1.5 week and stopped every night at a camp site to sleep, no driving at night. I took a different route going and coming so as not to make the drive unbearable and repetitive.

7. 8lugnutz

8lugnutz Member

We hit 12 states in 17 days at over 3500 miles back in 2017, Colorado to North Carolina and back the long way on Route 66 from Springfield MO through OK, TX, NM. Me and four kids, ages 3, 6, 8 and 9, we called it the "Trip of a Lifetime" and documented it all on our website. We like to document all our our trips. Its fun to see how much the kids grow from year to year and trip to trip!

Jeep Guy and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

McAllen, Texas (as south as can be) to Acadia NP in Maine, across Canada, crossing back in Michigan, to Chicago, than back to McAllen.

Jeep Guy and 8lugnutz like this.
  9. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Active Member

I have done almost 6,000 miles in 2.5 weeks with 6 stops. This year’s big trip will be about same mileage but only 3 stops. The setting up gets a little old. So going to try to get to places and stay longer this go around. As i type i am in gulf state park which was a 850mi one day drive but we are staying 7 days so worth the long drive to me.

10. 1977STARDUST

1977STARDUST New Member

February 3, 2021
    Hello. I recently acquired a 1976 Jayco Flipper - with no manuals or any instruction on how to set it up. I got it setup but it was anything but easy peasey. Could you send me instructions on how to do this? The slideouts are the problem. I can see they overlap. I also see there are brackets by the kitchen and door that MIGHT be something you could use as a slide. Right now they just drop into the space between the dinette seats. I couldn't even get the bed cushions to fit inside when I dropped it down. Anything you could say would be most helpful! Thanks, Nancy

11. 1977STARDUST

1977STARDUST New Member

February 3, 2021
    Hello. I recently acquired a 1976 Jayco Flipper - with no manuals or any instruction on how to set it up. I got it setup but it was anything but easy peasey. Could you send me instructions on how to do this? The slideouts are the problem. I can see they overlap. I also see there are brackets by the kitchen and door that MIGHT be something you could use as a slide. Right now they just drop into the space between the dinette seats. I couldn't even get the bed cushions to fit inside when I dropped it down. Anything you could say would be most helpful! Thanks, Nancy

12. Nimron

Nimron Member

We have gone roundtrip Omaha to Glacier NP, to Yosemite, Zion, the Smokies, going back to Glacier this year...3rd time. I have dual axle Jayco, 12" tires. I put Radials on last year on trip to Smokies, no flats.

13. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with your PUP. For a start try browsing this area of the portals resource section for a owners manual or at least one close to what you have. If you have specific questions posting them in the dedicated topic area will get better targeted responses.

14. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Well-Known Member

I'd stay longer, why travel so far if you're not staying longer, it will be just traveling to and fro, not much time to get out and just be there.

15. Chrismtl

Chrismtl Active Member

Few years ago we did Montreal to Cooperstown NY. 510kms each way (317 miles for my American campers)

16. p

p Active Member

Calgary to Victoria in one day. Once arrived, I noticed the family all went to separate areas.
    (12 hours + 2 hour Ferry + 2 hours)

kitphantom likes this.
  17. SunnyP1985

SunnyP1985 Member

I tow mine with a 2014 Ford Flex AWD - have a 1999 StarCraft Lounger that I renovated. Anyway - - I have towed mine to Pennsylvania a couple times now through the mountains from SW lower Michigan. It is only a 600 mile trip one way - - but I would definitely tow it farther. Am actually considering a trip to Florida with it - and that is 1100 miles one way. With my Thousand Trails membership - I want to GO GO GO all the time! LOL! I am getting geared up for 2021 camping season. Here in Michigan - looking out at the snow - all I can think about is warm day temps, cool nights, campfire and my pop up.

02ColemanMom, Susan Premo and Sjm9911 like this.
  18. Raven27

Raven27 Member

Went from Massachusetts to Colorado a couple years ago, round trip was a little under 5,000 miles.....looking to sell our pup now though, it just doesn't get used

19. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I've done Montreal to South Carolina about a dozen times, once in one shot, stopping only for gas - But I'm not that young anymore, so I now get a decent hotel about 3/4 of the way there. I prefer an easy second day since I still have to set up camp

20. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Dont laugh everyone...about 100 miles...i wont do long trips until i get a TT...only because i know it will mean a longer stays in the camper and i would want more comfort and conveinance...Council Bluffs?
    We have prolly ran into each other and didnt know it.
    Do you ever camp at Louisvlle SRA...Platter river SP...MahoneySP..Indian Cave SP...Weeping Water campground?